Hello :) Beginner here!

streichelfisch

Hey guys :)

im totally new to this type of music making. i started to make music with a midi keyboard a week ago (used cakewalk before to record stuff with my guitar using a audient id4) and the range of opportunities is overwhelming. was hoping to connect with a community with people who make that kind of music with cakewalk :) maybe even people with a similar music taste.

so, I bought a nektar impact LX25+ a week ago and i am mainly using the reaplugs vsts and the kv331 synth master player plugin (which is amazing imo). but i want more :D but i dont have (much) money to spend. i have some specific artists that inspire me, for example: aphex twin, ceephax (acid crew), rival consoles, jon hopkins and nils frahm. (i also consider the foo fighters as the one band that got me into music making by buying a guitar and learning their songs. from them i got a feeling for rhythm i guess)

BUT there are so many plugins out there, i was hoping some of you could give me any suggestion which plugin is also great in case that i want to make music like them (or as close as it gets ;) ). A nice person on reddit already suggested me cardinal which i am going to check out soon.

AND: i made my very first song with that keyboard. would love to hear your opinions and above all: criticism and suggestions for improvement are very very welcome! (since i dont know many people who actually make music). the hardest part for me is the volume of every track included. i made some of them louder, some quiter and i changed that so many times. i dont know how to explain that in english tbh. maybe u know what i mean. and i'm still not sure if it's too loud at some points.

sitenote: it turned out to be a rather dark song, then i added voicelines of two different speeches from greta thunberg. after that, the song's mood/vibe began to make sense to me until it became the song you can listen to now. i don't want to begin any political discussion with that song (since thats not allowed here which is the reason i am writing this sitenote). its just .. the last years, i was (and still am) so sad and angry about whats happening to our earth and i guess i need this song to express it.

still overwhelmed by all the opportunities, but happy that forums like this exist :) have a nice day!

Edited by streichelfisch

Welcome.
This forum is more for hanging out, shooting the breeze, making jokes.
You can get program advice and musical advice here, too, but I would post those questions in the main Cakewalk by Bandlab help forum.
There is also the Deals forum at the top of this page and the great plug-in thread in the Instruments and Effects forum.
Good luck!

• Like 1

I always start with anything by finding some tutorial videos on YouTube (which I tend to watch at 1.75x speed).  The goal being to just get a quick overview plus your subconscious brain starts to register all the new words.  Then, later, when you watch one to learn a specific aspect, it helps make sense of things.  

I know I used to get every book that a long-time member here would create (Craig Anderton), but that was before we had a ton of content on YouTube. 

Having a basic understanding of the look & feel, standard ways to get around, and the correct words will then make it a lot easier for the guys here to help you with any questions in the future!

Welcome and enjoy! 🙂

Welcome to the forum. Look around all the forums and read as much as you want about all kinds of ways to do this thing we call making music. Once you get going things will become more clear and you will develop your own workflow.

Ask away!!

On 6/26/2023 at 9:11 AM, streichelfisch said:

AND: i made my very first song with that keyboard. would love to hear your opinions and above all: criticism and suggestions for improvement are very very welcome! (since i dont know many people who actually make music). the hardest part for me is the volume of every track included. i made some of them louder, some quiter and i changed that so many times. i dont know how to explain that in english tbh. maybe u know what i mean. and i'm still not sure if it's too loud at some points.

sitenote: it turned out to be a rather dark song, then i added voicelines of two different speeches from greta thunberg. after that, the song's mood/vibe began to make sense to me until it became the song you can listen to now. i don't want to begin any political discussion with that song (since thats not allowed here which is the reason i am writing this sitenote). its just .. the last years, i was (and still am) so sad and angry about whats happening to our earth and i guess i need this song to express it.

Welcome to the Coffee House.

At the top of this page, you'll find: Home > Community and then click on Community. That will give a list that includes Songs. Click there and submit your song for critiques. Also, it's acceptable to post a song there that has strong social/political views and/or harsh language. Sometimes the poster will say so in the post.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, streichelfisch said:

i was (and still am) so sad and angry about whats happening to our earth and i guess i need this song to express it.

You don't need to be sad and angry.   Global warming, aka 'climate change' is a hoax.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, RobertWS said:

You don't need to be sad and angry.   Global warming, aka 'climate change' is a hoax.

[Deleted]

Nevermind.  Nobody wants to know the real science anymore anyway.  All the top-ranked search results show the BS answers that support the global agenda.

(My PhD work was in neuroscience so if you want to understand how getting your amygdala triggered makes you susceptible to suggestions and turns off all critical thinking, just ask! 🙂)

Edited by craigb
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, craigb said:

if you want to understand how getting your amygdala triggered makes you susceptible to suggestions and turns off all critical thinking, just ask!

I am asking. Seriously.  Things like this interest me

21 hours ago, RobertWS said:

CC isn't a hoax. It's been happening since the planet was formed and theys aints a got dang thang anyone can do about it. Or should.

@ the OP ... welcome to the forum. You found what I think is the best resource on the net for this hobby of ours.

• Like 4
  • Meh 1