Soundpaint Juniper 8 - One of the Best Synths of All Time

cclarry

It sounds good, but it's also 84.4GB for the UDS version.  

It  takes a lot of hard drive space to use sample libraries for synth sounds as opposed to soft synths.  While I think SoundPaint is actually a lot of fun to program sounds/patches, the file sizes are huge and that is an additional cost consideration to keep in mind. 

Over the years I've bought a lot of synth sample libraries for KONTAKT and the space really adds up fast,  and the reality is, I only use a very small percentage of the patches of each library. I largely agree with folks who've posted that they primarily use soft synths over sample libraries of synth sounds due to file size considerations. But the demos of this library do appeal to me. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

Unpopular opinion time: all the Jupiters and Junos are doing absolutely nothing for me. They have the most boring, lifeless sound I can possibly imagine.

In fact, I would go as far as to say they have almost single-handedly ruined music with a lasting impact, because all of the bands that sounded f-ing amazing in the 70s with their Moogs and whatnot suddenly sounded thin and artificial in the 80s and made sh-tty pop music when these pieces of junk became available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of my best friends from HS (in my band) got the Juno-106 when it came out.

I was never crazy about it.

It's easy to program... because it doesn't have many options.  

The much lauded Chorus circuit is noisy.

The Jupiter-8 isn't my favorite vintage synth, but I think it's better than the Juno-106.

OB-X, Memory Moog, and MiniMoog are my favorites... with Prophet-5 also in the mix.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jngnz said:

Unpopular opinion time: all the Jupiters and Junos are doing absolutely nothing for me. They have the most boring, lifeless sound I can possibly imagine.

In fact, I would go as far as to say they have almost single-handedly ruined music with a lasting impact, because all of the bands that sounded f-ing amazing in the 70s with their Moogs and whatnot suddenly sounded thin and artificial in the 80s and made sh-tty pop music when these pieces of junk became available.

Seriously, I truly have a good deal respect for you from this forum, because you will post an unpopular AF opinion or post a really brutal take on a library or plugin that disappointed you.

To add my own unpopular opinion, back in the day, everyone seemed to love the Yamaha DX-7 and I really didn't care for it (yes, there are sounds here and there on it that I like, but overall, compared to other synths of the day, it really didn't do much for me).  I even ended up buying a rack mount version of the DX-7, which I think is still in my basement in a box. I bought it on a deal, primarily because so many keyboardists I knew and respected told me how great it was. But after having it for a while, I still didn't find anything I loved about it. But I do like Jupiters and Junos and a bunch of different Rolands, Korgs, Moogs and other vintage hardware synths.

Edited by PavlovsCat

Not buying that whole UDS thing. The original Jupiter-8 had no special key bed, so who knows if those supposed variances at each key press exist or are significant enough to the point of requiring separate samples instead of being emulated using DSP code. Maybe it's just the good old marketing tactic of appealing to our chimp brains that think it's better because it's a higher number.

4 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Not buying that whole UDS thing. 

Yeah, if you played a song using the UDS edition and the same song using the standard edition to 1000 people, how many could tell the difference?

23 minutes ago, BTP said:

Yeah, if you played a song using the UDS edition and the same song using the standard edition to 1000 people, how many could tell the difference?

About 847 Gearspacers would say they can hear a difference and about 3 actually could.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jngnz said:

About 847 Gearspacers would say they can hear a difference and about 3 actually could.

Post of the week.  So much marketing is geared toward the user in believing this will impress listeners.    Most of this stuff is to impress DAW buddies.

• Like 2