Ableton Push 3 is out

satya

https://youtu.be/dbUeijTc880

That's Andrew Huang

https://www.ableton.com/en/push/

https://www.musicradar.com/news/ableton-push-3-standalone-live

In this case that hardware is Push 3, the latest version of the company’s pad-based instrument. A controller-only version has also been announced, with the option to upgrade it to support standalone usage at a later date.

Push 3 offers 64 MPE-capable pads that can detect finger pressure and placement across the X and Y axes for fine, per-note control

The controller version of Push 3 has a built-in audio interface and CV/gate connectivity for hooking up to Eurorack and other modular gear. As you’d expect, MIDI is here, too.

Push 3 is available now with prices set at $1,999/€1,899 for the standalone model and $999/€949 for the controller version. The upgrade kit will be available later this year.

21 minutes ago, projectm said:

Looks like a serious piece of kit. I’ll stick to my Maschine but if I was a serious Live user I’d be all over this!

Well, that's just it, I feel you have to be a very serious Live user ánd/or use this live (note the lack of a capital l) to justify the price fully. I don't know, but €949 for a MIDI controller is serious money. Even if it is MPE. If it was 200-300 less I probably would buy it and sell my Push 2.

I will stick with my Push 2 for now. Which I don't use enough as it is. If i were to perform live (well I do, but not yet with the Push or Ableton's session view), this would be a very tempting piece of kit though. I hate the word gamechanger, but at least I have the feeling they are raising the bar and setting a standard here.

• Thanks 1

MPE functions are great.

An i3 NUC powering the standalone features is going to be a bit under-powered (compared to most DAWs).

Push-2 was ~$800... so a couple hundred more for MPE function doesn't seem out of line.

$2000 for the stand-alone model seems about right... but I agree that it's primarily going to appeal to the Live power-user.

IMO, $2000 MIDI controller keyboard (with similar features- that could be used with Live and other DAWs), would have more broad appeal.

MPE is still early in development.  There's a lot of room left for someone to create the perfect balance between tradition/evolution.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

IMO, $2000 MIDI controller keyboard (with similar features- that could be used with Live and other DAWs), would have more broad appeal.

If you can survive without the OLED displays and knobs, the smaller Linnstrument (128 version) costs 1 grand and the larger ones costs 1400. They can work on bus power as well and on mobile. They also have open source hardware and software and are class compliant.

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

If you can survive without the OLED displays and knobs, the smaller Linnstrument (128 version) costs 1 grand and the larger ones costs 1400. They can work on bus power as well and on mobile. They also have open source hardware and software and are class compliant.

Roger Linn himself demo'd the Linnstrument for me at Gearfest.  It was great meeting and talking with him.

That was ~3 years ago.  I was impressed... so I ordered the larger Linnstrument.

MPE was just getting started.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time/patience to learn to play it (well).

Also had a Roli Seaboard Rise.  It was easier to grasp... but I never did get super comfortable playing it. 

Osmose feels more like playing a traditional keyboard (played one at Sweetwater).  Unfortunately, it wasn't (isn't) in-stock to purchase.