Life WITHOUT Waves Plugins (Not a deal)

mettelus

3 hours ago, batsbrew said:

Never had an issue.

That,

Is my point.

There is balance in the universe 

There's only two types of Waves customers in the universe.. those that Waves has screwed over and ones that they just haven't gotten around to screwing over.. yet...

Edited by MusicMan
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, batsbrew said:

12  years, 

Zero issues.

I'm sorry this fact bends your brain.

The install is always dead easy.

Always works.

They'll get to you too, don't feel left out 🤣

But this normally just means it's highly unlikely you use Mac, you haven't upgraded your OS in a while, or you've paid

Extortion,

I mean

WUP 

😎

Edited by MusicMan
  • Like 2

I don't have enough mixing knowledge to know if this guy really knows his stuff or not, but he comes off as knowledgeable and seems to make some fairly well reasoned recommendations.  So I'll add this to the Waves alternatives video mix.  Feel free to critique his recommendations,  I certainly won't take offense and I might even learn something (anything is possible,  right?). ButI do believe in the idea of voting with our dollars (or whatever the currency is in the country where you live). 

• Like 4

I would add my voice to the folks who've never had a technical issue with Waves plugins. I'm on Windows 10, and, judging by posts, that clearly seems to be the platform where there are the least problems. So, my objection to Waves isn't related to any technical issues I've had. My issues with Waves has always been with their marketing of Waves and not disclosing it clearly enough up front and how I see it as Waves attempt to create the kind of steady revenue stream that a subscription service provides a company. I just (1) don't like how they go about disclosing WUP to prospective customers, (2) I just don't like the whole concept of WUP. and (3) I think it's foolish to trust a company that engages in the kind of marketing practices Waves engages in. Waves subscription fiasco was a dumb move from the start. I posted that and I recall someone here telling me I didn't know what I was talking about when the research and real-time examples make clear that businesses and  IT departments tend to see SaaS subscriptions positively overall while consumers see them very differently.

I find Waves marketing with regards to WUP for new plugin customers is less than as clear then I believe it should be, even more so if you're buying through a retail partner and their subscription fiasco was a very clear sign that this isn't a company that it's wise to trust. As they say, fool me once, shame on Waves, fool me twice -- well, you'll only have yourself to blame. I think there is a good degree of risk of buying a Waves plugin that the company will again decide to do the same kind of quick switch to a subscription only model in the future. Maybe they won't, but the odds are definitely not with favor of Waves absolutely never pulling that again.  I'd put those odds as a deal breaker for me.  With that experience in my mind combined with WUP, it's easy to "just say no" to Waves for me. But I would probably WUP my Abbey Road plugins if Waves still offers WUP when they stop working. That is the only time I would ever pay to WUP anything. But I won't be buying additional Waves plugins because I'm not a fan of the WUP concept and vote with my dollars. 

That said, I'm sharing my personal views and don't need anyone else to agree with me and we shouldn't demand conformity of people who think otherwise. If batsbew is cool with Waves, that's his right. I'm all for stating our opinions with passion, but I think we need to steer clear of pressuring others into conforming with popular opinions.  It's totally cool to think different. I often do. In this case, I tend to be in agreement with the majority, but that's certainly not always going to be the case. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

have had zero issues with licensing.

i just download the lastest plugin manager,

download the plug,

put it into Studio One (which is automated) and boom, there it goes.

every plug i've ever bought and added to the group, has worked perfectly.

i just think you guys are doing something wrong.

3 hours ago, batsbrew said:

now, when i had SONAR, i also used the plugs, and never had an issue then.

so , i know it's not sonar, or the difference between it and studio one.

i'm not trying to make a fight here,

i'm just saying.

While we have different opinions regarding Waves,  you're absolutely entitled to your opinion and deserve respect when sharing your opinion.  When it comes to technical issues,  clearly there's been a lot more technical problems on the Apple side of things than Windows. But I always consider that if Windows has an update that causes problems, I'd have to pay up for WUP just to be able get back into some old, unfinished projects or finished ones where I wanted to do a remix. Of course,  things would be even worse if Waves once again decides to move to a subscription only model and only offer the ability to update and use those plugins if I paid a monthly fee -- as they recently announced they were doing and then, after an outcry, decided to pull back, at least for now. That experience taught me an important lesson regarding trusting the company: don't (that is, don't trust them). 

I don't like their current business practices with regard to WUP and I don't trust them not to repeat another overnight move to subscription only and think it's unwise to trust them. But I don't disrespect those who understand all of this and choose to continue buying Waves plugins. It's their money and if they're aware of Waves practices and history and want to take the risk, that's their choice. I realize that someone may like a plugin enough where they're willing to accept the risk that their plugins need paid updates at some point and that Waves may again choose to only permit that if you pay a monthly subscription fee at some point. I'm going to keep using my Abbey Road plugins knowing those risks, because (1) I am a former working musician who only makes music as a hobby these days (if I was a pro, I wouldn't have this same mindset) and (2) I fully realizing that someday I might have to stop using them or will have to replace them on past projects, because they don't work anymore and the latest version is subscription only, but considering that I'm merely a hobbyist and not a pro, and only handling my own productions, it's not a giant deal to replace on plugin with a similar one from a different developer if I have to do so; I'm not a pro engineer with a client with certain expectations.  

Edited by PavlovsCat

2 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

While we have different opinions regarding Waves,  you're absolutely entitled to your opinion and deserve respect when sharing your opinion.  

yes, we both agree with this.

i'm offering another side of the story,

for clarity,

and balance.

i don't do wup.

like i said before,

that is a non issue for me.

22 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I don't have enough mixing knowledge to know if this guy really knows his stuff or not, but he comes off as knowledgeable and seems to make some fairly well reasoned recommendations.  So I'll add this to the Waves alternatives video mix.  Feel free to critique his recommendations,  I certainly won't take offense and I might even learn something (anything is possible,  right?). ButI do believe in the idea of voting with our dollars (or whatever the currency is in the country where you live). 

I find Bass Enhancer by redrock in his list really good. It's on sale for $10

https://redrocksound.pro/en/bassenhancer-pc/