Waves Rant! Sorry!

Keni

2 hours ago, craigb said:

I heard about the below cycle theory and it appears to be pretty accurate.  Not hard to tell where we are in the cycle either, is it?

Hard times create strong people.

Strong people create good times.

Good times create weak people.

Weak people create hard times.

Maybe it was not so brilliant raising a generation on fast food, sugars and computer games (as now it's Game Over).

Although that generation is not to blame, they're not able to save us.

I at least had a life for maybe 40 years and feel sorry for young people, they come into a real crappy world.

Edited by Sheens

4 minutes ago, Sheens said:

Maybe it was not so brilliant raising a generation on fast food, sugars and computer games (as now it's  Game Over),

That's OK... I would prefer a new "no game" version for a change...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keni said:

I’m glad fir you and I’m sure there are some others, but you must’ve noticed the huge upsurge of information regarding issues with them.

ACTUALLY, i just saw a lot of knee jerk reactionism.

i think waves figured out they phucked up.

they changed their ways, and so i've got no worries,

and i doubt i'll ever need to buy another plug again, i've got everything i need now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, batsbrew said:

ACTUALLY, i just saw a lot of knee jerk reactionism.

i think waves figured out they phucked up.

they changed their ways, and so i've got no worries,

and i doubt i'll ever need to buy another plug again, i've got everything i need now.

Yes, they did re-cant and brought in a more reasonable policy. I agree. I give them credit for the yield, but realize they had to be "hit over the head" to make that happen.

I’m referring to the way they handle the edges if this stuff. They clobbered many old users without warning with the way waves central auto-updated on machines that the new version doesn’t work completely and disabled the old versions. Now they’re willing to re-authorize these old versions if we dance through a number of procedures that are difficult, additional cost in both tech and finance. I can’t do it so I’m forced to abandon those plugins on that machine though I paid for them.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:54 AM, bitflipper said:

Waves was so well-regarded back when I turned away from them that at the time I was actually accused of antisemitism (no kidding, right here on this forum) for deciding to abandon them. Others assumed I was a software pirate frustrated that I couldn't crack their copy protection.

Okay, Dave, I have to ask: antisemitism? Oh, wait, Waves are an Israel-based company, right. So if someone eschews MeldaProduction because of the complex, clinical UI and scant documentation, they're anti-Czech bigots? 🤪

Surely it wasn't this forum, but the old one, which had a different vibe (especially outside the Coffee House)? Those cats made my enthusiasm for MeldaProduction look like Unitarianism vs. their Unification Church devotion to Waves. Anyone who had a mixing question: first thing to do is get the appropriate Waves plug-in. I even put a line in my sig to the effect of "enough with the Waves recommendations."

My first recommendation if someone seems to be in need of expanding their collection mixing FX (or just wants to) is almost always freeware. If ya can't get it done with Kilohearts Essentials, MFreeFX, and the Dead Duck FX, maybe more learning rather than more software? Oh, also Trackspacer. Everyone must have Trackspacer.😄

7 hours ago, craigb said:

Hard times create strong people.

Strong people create good times.

Good times create weak people.

Weak people create hard times.

Whoa. I'm very interested in generational cohorts, the 10-year cycle of (oddly-named, given that it includes the Beatles, Stones, and Dylan) Silent Generation (1935-45), Woodstock Boomers (aka "Me Generation" 1945-55), Generation Jones (mine, 1955-1965), and Generation X (1965-75).

This fits.

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Surely it wasn't this forum, but the old one,

Yes, you're right, it was the old forum. Things are much more civil around here these days. I only mentioned it to illustrate that Waves was so highly regarded back in the day that some could simply not comprehend why anybody would abandon the brand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Whoa. I'm very interested in generational cohorts, the 10-year cycle of (oddly-named, given that it includes the Beatles, Stones, and Dylan) Silent Generation (1935-45), Woodstock Boomers (aka "Me Generation" 1945-55), Generation Jones (mine, 1955-1965), and Generation X (1965-75).

This fits.

and The Who and Hooters !

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Yes, you're right, it was the old forum. Things are much more civil around here these days. I only mentioned it to illustrate that Waves was so highly regarded back in the day that some could simply not comprehend why anybody would abandon the brand.

There's a tribal comfort about so many (virtually arbitrary) choices we make. We want other people to like the things we like and believe the things we believe. And if they don't, we set our brains to figuring out nasty reasons why they don't. They must be stupid, racist, lazy, privileged, have criminal intent, or be contrarians.

Somehow, the things we buy and use and watch and listen to become part of our identity and it can feel like a rejection of a part of us if people like other things better.

"Wait, my superior ears and shopping abilities led to me believing that X products were the best! Now this guy doesn't want anything to do with them! Is something wrong with my tastes or is something wrong with him?"

Waves are kind of weird for me. I know they were once considered the apex of plug-in FX, but I've harvested every freebie they and their affiliates have offered for many years and was excited about it at first because "oboy, WAVES plug-in! I now haz pro studio!" and although TrueVerb wound up on a lot of stuff due to not having a better sounding one, none of the rest of the products have found a place on my go-to list. Even legendary ones like RBass and RVox. And never touched TrueVerb once I got Phoenix Stereo. The Waves Central app confuses me about exactly what I'm doing and what's it's doing when I want to move a license or update or whatever. The one-seat-per-license ain't great, either, although I forgive that for exactly one product line, Exponential Audio reverbs.

Obviously, Waves' products are still popular enough to create the storm of complaints when they tried to change the licensing, but sonically I've never understood what the fuss was about. Individual iZotope, IKM, brainworx and Melda products have all blown me away at some point or other, but I've never had that experience with a Waves product.

It didn't occur to me till I read this thread... wasn't Waves initially a HW-based FX system?

I had to chuckle @bitflipper's comment about a case study... Harvard Business Reviews are rife with companies that buried themselves due to bad business decisions (some of the better ones are required reading for MBA's). In fact, one professor started his first class by saying, "I should be sitting on a yacht in the Caribbean, but my father ruined the company..." Turns out, that company had a stranglehold on mechanical switches for aviation (wouldn't trip under high g's), but when electronic switches were introduced he refused to adapt and weight (one of the driving factors to make anything go airborne in the first place) drove him out of business. Those who adapt to customer needs and change tend to excel, those who cannot tend to fail. DSP has long since matured, so there are not a lot of "new" things out there to begin with, yet some perpetuate products that were fine decades ago.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:26 AM, Keni said:

Waves Rant! Sorry!

I'm still trying to figure out this thread's title... 🤔

(I mean, why is he sorry? 😁)

As detailed elsewhere, I've lost THOUSANDS of dollars thanks to Waves... 🤬

4 hours ago, craigb said:

I'm still trying to figure out this thread's title... 🤔

(I mean, why is he sorry? 😁)

As detailed elsewhere, I've lost THOUSANDS of dollars thanks to Waves... 🤬

Sorry for burning up others' time with my anger issues. I needed to vent among others who might understand....

On 4/18/2023 at 10:53 PM, Starship Krupa said:

"Wait, my superior ears and shopping abilities led to me believing that X products were the best! Now this guy doesn't want anything to do with them! Is something wrong with my tastes or is something wrong with him?"

Watch Warren Huart (Produce Like a Pro), he's almost exclusively Waves in ProTools. He's a fan of Massenburg EQ.

Watch David Glenn (The Mix Academy), he's more than 60% Slate in ProTools. A lot of Izotope and FabFilter. He also loves Sound-Radix for specialty toys for mixing drums.

Watch Glen Fricker (featured in Spectre Digital), he's kind of all over the place (using Reaper) but he loves AIX-DSP for mixing drums.

The list can go on and on. Which one is right?

My conclusion? None and all are right because of their "superior ears and shopping abilities".

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1