Another one Bites the Dust.

Byron Dickens

My roommate bought a Marshall for me to use several years ago.  It's ALL I play through when I do play!

Old story...  The Tolex on one of the cabs I bought was torn, so I took it to a local guy who had a large shop at his house.  He did a great job and, while yakking, the following joke full-stack was born:

fakestack.jpgfakestack2.jpg

This actually folds up into a little, suitcase-looking form with a handle for carrying it.  Here it is next to the real half-stack that I used.

marshallstacks2.jpg

The Marshall head is a 1979 JMP that Mike Soldano modded for me (FREAKIN' AWESOME!).  This setup (not mine) was what Line 6 actually sampled as the Marshall in their Pod Pro kidney beans and rack gear.  The fake stack actually ended up on stage in Las Vegas for a spoof show put on by Poison's keyboardist Stu called Hair Guitar.  I got to be the roadie who was in a couple of the skits (including moving that fake stack only for the audience to see a tiny 1x12" speaker behind it! 😁).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

Seriously though, who really plays live with Marshall stacks anymore?

Not even at the Cream reunion.

Not many. They tour without their own amps and cabs nowadays.  They mostly use an phone.  

I don't have any pictures of my first cabs "stack" but it was this on the bottom (with a replaced 18" Gauss)
image.png.137c00aac208779ac15b57bd1f4f7c2c.png

And this on top (Mitchell GB412, but mine actually had speakers in it):
image.png.95f61f07add9100c3ec9e0e34c2c2355.png

And to top it off I used my Alembic F2-B Preamp into a Crown DC300 stereo poweramp (one channel for each cab).image.thumb.png.f95adf1fda09420c531bdc0d81fbbeae.png

image.png.d8ef737c214aa506756b1342070bf440.png

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, craigb said:

My roommate bought a Marshall for me to use several years ago.  It's ALL I play through when I do play!

Old story...  The Tolex on one of the cabs I bought was torn, so I took it to a local guy who had a large shop at his house.  He did a great job and, while yakking, the following joke full-stack was born:

fakestack.jpgfakestack2.jpg

This actually folds up into a little, suitcase-looking form with a handle for carrying it.  Here it is next to the real half-stack that I used.

marshallstacks2.jpg

The Marshall head is a 1979 JMP that Mike Soldano modded for me (FREAKIN' AWESOME!).  This setup (not mine) was what Line 6 actually sampled as the Marshall in their Pod Pro kidney beans and rack gear.  The fake stack actually ended up on stage in Las Vegas for a spoof show put on by Poison's keyboardist Stu called Hair Guitar.  I got to be the roadie who was in a couple of the skits (including moving that fake stack only for the audience to see a tiny 1x12" speaker behind it! 😁).

I have that same head! Same year. Un modified, though, unless you count the Mojotone replacement output transformer. Got it at a pawn shop +/- 30 years ago for $350.

I have neither the space nor money for a 4X12 but I found a Seismic Audio 1X12 with a Vintage 30 on Craigslist for $100!

Glorious!

Looking over at it one day along with my Valvestate and Lead 12 combos, I realized that wow! I actually have a wall of Marshalls!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

found a Seismic Audio 1X12 with a Vintage 30 on Craigslist for $100!

Glorious!

Yes indeed. I got a Egnator cab with a unknown speaker in it and it sounds great too. It sounds like a V30. But I haven't taken it out to look.

@Bapu first real amp I had was a Sunn. It was a new style of amps called C-Mos. Had no idea what that meant. But I kept blowing the speakers in it till I put some JBL D12's in it. It had two separate channels (real rare back in the day) and I could turn both channels on at the same time!! Loud as..... 

image.thumb.png.b4c53b130a0084d20efef25b8e3bdd7f.png

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

just ordered months after turning 50,  should arrive saturday.

have no life BUT I TRIED !

Marshall 40DSLcr (40 watts tube / 1 x 12 inch Celestion 70/80).

nightowl in appartment -> naybours will be superstoked.

download-W.jpg

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 3

Who really plays live with Marshall stacks anymore?

75552995_10156993461242582_3052002021075845120_n.jpg.da5cffce14a0b74371829bbdeb239de8.jpg

This guy. :P

Although I believe that for the last song I played there I was hooked to a Axe-FX. 

Honestly, I'd probably prefer to use some DI solution at this point, though.

Also, notice the wall of Marshalls in the back. I think there's 4 "stacks" on each side of the drums. They're not actually fake or empty cabinets - just pictures. Looks better than a bare wall when bands don't have a backdrop, IMHO.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rain said:

Honestly, I'd probably prefer to use some DI solution at this point, though.

If and when I go back to playing out again, this may be the route I go. Just simplifies things so much.

4 hours ago, Rain said:

Looks better than a bare wall when bands don't have a backdrop, IMHO.

Yep.

Here in Columbus, OH... (at gigs) most guitarists are using Modelers or Profilers at gigs.

The ones using amps are typically using smaller tube heads like the newer 20w Marshall JCM, Friedman PT-20, etc.

I can think of one guy who's using a 50w 5150-III.

Sound is fantastic, cartage is minimal, much smaller stage foot-print, and stage volume is lower

In short, just a whole lot more practical... and especially so with the quality available today

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

This indoor/outdoor bluetooth speaker was a prize on The Price Is Right this morning.

marshall.jpg

Marshall is a good selling brand.

Money, money, money,

makes the world go round, and

not only that..........