TONEX pedal

Sander Verstraten

1 minute ago, telecode 101 said:

I just need to be mobile and a little more control of the tone.  I dont care about rigs as I really dont have anything amazing to capture. its all just beat up old gear.

"control" of the tone is the only question.  The quality of the tone this thing is capable of is outstanding with the right capture.  However, it isn't like a modeler/real amp where you can use the built in EQ to fully tweek the response of the amp in the same way as an actual amp.

It is basically a snap shot of an amp at certain settings and then the EQ you apply to it is like using an EQ in a DAW on top of the signal.  Adjusting the gain (up or down) is closer to lowering or pushing the input harder.  

That is something you really have to experiment with first hand to know if it will work for you.  It takes pedals better than any digital modeler I've tried.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bluzdog said:

I don't see a way to use more than one capture at a time i.e. a dirt pedal and an amp. It sounds great but I don't see it competing in the same space as the all in one units i.e. Quad Cortex, etc.

I think it was mentioned that ToneX would be updated to allow loading a second Capture for Boost/Drive pedal. 

That really needs to be there.

I know there are work-arounds (Amplitube, using another plugin prior to ToneX, using a real boost/drive pedal before ToneX pedal), but this is part of the appeal.

Nobody wants to run a Tubescreamer without an amp.  🤪

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I think it was mentioned that ToneX would be updated to allow loading a second Capture for Boost/Drive pedal. 

That really needs to be there.

I know there are work-arounds (Amplitube, using another plugin prior to ToneX, using a real boost/drive pedal before ToneX pedal), but this is part of the appeal.

Nobody wants to run a Tubescreamer without an amp.  🤪

I don't think I've seen any quote yet from IKM that is in the works (though I certainly would like to see it happen).   A 4th footswitch to turn such a suggested pedal slot on/off would have really been the appeal, IMO.

The reality is some people could use this thing as a dirt box in front of their amp.  I think it is overkill for that, but TONEX max included a bunch of Klon profiles you could dump into the pedal.  

I received mine yesterday. And it's great fun. Would have been more fun if it also ran as an audio interface on iOS. 

But I don't have any other multifx, so it's a great way to jam in the middle of the night next to the missus with headphones on. 

And I wonder if they could update the firmware to have either reverb or delay as a timing based effect

6 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I received mine yesterday. And it's great fun. Would have been more fun if it also ran as an audio interface on iOS. 

But I don't have any other multifx, so it's a great way to jam in the middle of the night next to the missus with headphones on. 

And I wonder if they could update the firmware to have either reverb or delay as a timing based effect

Wouldn't an ipad or a phone + IK's HD 2 + software (A5, Tonex)  work better for that? You'd have a more flexible interface, effects, recording, looping, all that. Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the pedal's place was in a gig rig? 

42 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Would have been more fun if it also ran as an audio interface on iOS. 

From the Tonex pedal manual: 

6. USB Use the USB port to connect TONEX Pedal to your computer to manage and transfer PRESETs using the TONEX Librarian or to use TONEX Pedal as an audio interface.

57 minutes ago, bluzdog said:

It has Reverb- Spring, Room and Plate.

I know that, just would be nice if they would add a couple of delays to the list. 

25 minutes ago, bluzdog said:

From the Tonex pedal manual: 

6. USB Use the USB port to connect TONEX Pedal to your computer to manage and transfer PRESETs using the TONEX Librarian or to use TONEX Pedal as an audio interface.

Apparently just on Win/Mac? I've tried it on my iPad to no avail 

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, fitzroy said:

Wouldn't an ipad or a phone + IK's HD 2 + software (A5, Tonex)  work better for that? You'd have a more flexible interface, effects, recording, looping, all that. Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the pedal's place was in a gig rig? 

I agree that if you have the pedal itself that is what anyone should want to use for a gig vs an Ipad + pedal or dongle.

That said in terms of an interface, I think the signal path is higher on the Pedal than it is for the HD2.  A stand alone Pedal without the interface component absolutely sounds better than the HD2 + computer, IMO.  Sadly as an interface, the TONEX pedal also isn't ideal being a 44.1 device when used in that configuration even though it has 24bit 192 AD stuff going on internally so we are told.   I've found the use as an interface / preset manager to be on the buggy side of things so far on at least one computer.  

32 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Is it wrong to want one of these even if you rarely play guitar?

not really. keyboardists use guitar pedals. IIRC, the old Line6 pod was used extensively for drum distortion. i am sure someone might be able to think of an innovative use of a tonex amp cab capture for another instrument.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Is it wrong to want one of these even if you rarely play guitar?

If you or even a casual aquatience owns or even borrows a guitar, this is clearly essential for everyday life.

In all seriousness, I personally think this device makes it far more likley someone would want to pick up a guitar and play it.   The response and sound of the unit at any volume (assuming you have great headphones or speakers) make playing more enjoyable than prevoius generation stuff.  Rarely play guitar means picking up a guitar a couple times a year and realiazing you forgot where the notes and chord shapes are...a purchase might be overkill.

This unit actually makes me want to play again.  And by play, I mean dynamically interact with tone, not actually play music anyone would listen to.

16 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

not really. keyboardists use guitar pedals. IIRC, the old Line6 pod was used extensively for drum distortion. i am sure someone might be able to think of an innovative use of a tonex amp cab capture for another instrument.

It can also be used as an IR loader.   While still guitar related, I plan to load some Acoustic IRs in it to replace my dedicated IR loader pedal.  

Anyone that runs an instrument through an amplifer for a unique sound could use tonex to replace that "unique" amp or saturation box.  Keyboard players over the years have used a few different guitar amps (despite people telling them of reduced frequencies or damage to an amp) and they get used to that sound instead of a full range system.  

Realistically this is a box for Guitar and Bass players though as many other instruments are not going to respond the same way to feel and dynamics due to the whole pickup and impedence thing that happens with a guitar and amp relative to creating harmonics and distortion.

2 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

Fender Rhodes -> Twin Reverb

https://www.fenderrhodes.com/pianos/amp.html

https://chicagoelectricpiano.com/rhodes/amp-electric-piano/

• Like 2