Favorite Freeware FX Thread

For most users, they do indeed work quite well, but they do have a few quirks that can be bothersome for the few who encounter them.

For example, the delay sometimes doesn't do well with fast tempo changes when the delay interval is locked to the project tempo. I once had an issue where Sonar would crash with a specific chain of three Sonitus plugins in a specific order.

Such glitches are rare, though, and don't warrant preemptively replacing the plugins. Plus I don't know of any freebies that are as good as, and as easy to use as, the Sonitus suite.

• Like 2

I still am using the Sonitus delay but I am searching for the perfect replacement. Sonitus is DX and unsupported. Very old code.  One day you'll try and open a project and it might crash.  To me it's like the chance you take with using 32 Bit  plug ins. I have removed them all with the exception of 2.  I still have Mr Tramp 32bit in a lot of older projects and if I open those I replace with Lounge Lizard by AAS.  I have one project that totally depends on Warp Delay  and it's still works but I bounced the track just in case.  

I just installed about 18 new free delay plug ins and now my testing machine has 23 delays including the Sonitus and the few from Cakewalk. First I need to learn how to use the Plug in Doctor,,, that might take a while.  

Most of these are from Plugin4free. 

I have a few more to install and will add here later.  I haven't been to KVR yet as well as I will go over this thread too. 

2Ping   -Beatassist,eu    These are part of a package  

APD   - Beatassist.eu

ATK Universal Variable Delay  not expecting much as there other VST's didn't impress. 

BT OIlcan    Blue Tubes ( Sonar freebie)  Weird category 

BT Tempo   Blue Tubes ( Sonar freebie)  Not sure why I don't use it but I guess I'll soon find out! 

Chow Matrix   Chowdsp    This is very very weird and a different approach to interface. 

CombeeDee    Beatassist.eu 

Deelay  Interaudio Sixth Sample

Delay M-ST   Crashes Cakewalk -VST3 and VST 2 

Delay ST    Didn't crash 

Dub Station   Audio Damage  

Flying Delay 

G Delay     GVST.co.uk

LaGrange   Nag screen Ursa DSP

NA Analog Rack  Delay  Nembrini audio  I'm using this already a keeper  

Pan Delay   Em Ry? 

Replicant   Audio Damage ( very weird) 

Sonitus Delay  Cakewalk DX 

TED-FLT_DLY     Another freaky one. 

Tempo D Cakewalk DX 

Tempo D Voxingo   been using this for long time but is more weird than normal  

Tungstun  - Keeping this just to look at the GUI while watching Carnival Row. 

Valhalla Supermassive- Lots or fun with this one but falls under the weird category. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Re Alzheimers part of this discussion....I think there's been research done about how music is really good for brains. I know it's good for me, and always more to learn. My Italian grandmother lived to just before turning 103, she got dementia at about 100. Still rode a bike at 95! When I would visit her in the care facility I would bring tapes of her son, my uncle playing and singing his accordion songs of their era and we would sing along even though she was pretty out of it at the end. Music is a special thing and I expect most of us here have brains full of it.

Edited by treesha
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I still am using the Sonitus delay but I am searching for the perfect replacement. Sonitus is DX and unsupported. Very old code.  One day you'll try and open a project and it might crash.

I understand your concerns, but i personally wouldn't rule out a plugin just because its old. As long as it works, you'll be fine and as you said, you can allways bounce a track copy for security reasons.

Nevermind, i got another tipp for you: Check the 2BPlayed website, they got the 2B Delayed Classic for free at checkout, with a code. Its a stereo delay like Sonitus. Maybe this is the right one for your usage.

1 hour ago, treesha said:

Music is a special thing and I expect most of us here have brains full of it.

Full to spilling out the ears some days.

I used to play piano for the residents at the facility where my dad lived in the months leading up to his death. They were a great audience. I haven't seen a roomful of people so into the music since the 60's when it was not unusual for an entire audience to be on LSD. Or to have such an appreciation for pudding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Weird indeed. Certainly not a pin-compatible replacement for the Sonitus Delay, but it has a wonderful quirkiness I really like on vocals and synth leads. Can new users still get the Blue Tubes stuff? I'm thinking no.

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

You know, when the BT plugins were first introduced into Sonar, I found that Oilcan sort of unique in a good way. ;)

Never really used it for anything, but it was fun to jam with!

1 hour ago, SVSX said:

I understand your concerns, but i personally wouldn't rule out a plugin just because its old. As long as it works, you'll be fine and as you said, you can allways bounce a track copy for security reasons.

Nevermind, i got another tipp for you: Check the 2BPlayed website, they got the 2B Delayed Classic for free at checkout, with a code. Its a stereo delay like Sonitus. Maybe this is the right one for your usage.

We have to move on with Software of any kind. But thanks a lot for the heads up. 

the 2B delay is not at all like the Sonitus,  it is actually very different but not in a bad way, it's just different like a lot of them are,   but it was free,  so I jumped though the hoops and it is now being tested. Doesn't seem to have a manual so I sent the developer a question. That's always a bad mark from me, no manual or even a description on the web page of what it does. Especially when the controls are obscure. This one at least has built in pop up descriptions so not an issue.     

Attention Punters:  this actually totally belongs in this thread folks, it looks promising normally $25 CAN but free for a limited time only  

https://2bplayed.com/product/2b-delayed/

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Okay, off-topic payware diversion, but really, I don't think there's a need to follow hard and fast rules. John is comparing delays that are both payware and freeware.

The next time the MEssentialsFX bundle comes around on the 50% off everything sale (which happens about 3X yearly), it comes with MTurboDelay and MTurboReverble (and 8 more that all live up to the "essentials" label). You can snag it for $135, or much less if it's your first MeldaProduction purchase and you use a referral code. And of course if you already have some of the stuff in the bundle, the price goes down accordingly.

IMO, those are the last delay and reverb that I'd need to buy. If I had discovered MTurboReverble before I discovered Phoenix/Nimbus/Stratus, there would have been no need. I still have a bunch of other delays, because I'm a delay 'ho and also like weird sound-design-y ones. MTurboDelay can handle that, too.

Back on topic to freebies, I understand John's desire to find a good replacement for Sonitus Delay. For one thing, the fact that it is a DX effect makes it so that you can't use it in most other hosts. When the bundled plug-ins are host-locked, I avoid them because I want my skills with them to transfer over to other hosts that I use. I make exceptions for the QuadCurve EQ because it's such a sweet feature, and most of the rest of the PC modules because they emulate common processor types. An 1176 or LA/2A clone operates pretty similarly across manufacturers.

Cakewalk will continue to support DX, I'm sure, for the foreseeable future, because so many of the bundled FX are in that format. But we're already starting to see issues with TTS-1 that they can't fix because they don't have the code (they do have the code for the Sonitus Suite, though, and have in the past made small noises about porting them to VST).

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

(they do have the code for the Sonitus Suite, though, and have in the past made small noises about porting them to VST).

Something for Cakewalk to bring up to date in an upcoming update! ;)

• Like 1

Hmm I was unaware that they had the code so that is really good news.  Sonitus suite seems to have all the important features and in a format anybody can figure out with out a manual. And it is clean. 

Speaking of manual 2b Played got back to me in 30 minutes to explain they didn’t have a manual because they ( like Melda) built it in. But they had  many requests so we’re working on one. Seems like very supportive company, I’m impressed.  So now I will make a point of purchasing something from them as  a thanks for the freebie.  

In my search for a delay I turned on my Lexicon mx200 which I keep patched into my mixer. Now that is what I’m looking for!  What is it about hardware that make it so easy to get the right sound in a few seconds?  To bad the USB connection stopped being supported by W7.  
Another irreplaceable delay is found in my Yamaha 01v. Tap tempo was used live for each song. We need to remember what it used to cost to have good effects in the studio. 
Bein spending time playing with the plug in doctor. Still not sure what im looking at. The manual tells you little and the few videos were also not educational. But I think I am seeing what a crappy plug in looks like now. It seems better suited to compressors and eq type effects. Delay is tricky as they instantly toss the display into chaos.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 8:37 AM, John Vere said:

Hmm I was unaware that they had the code so that is really good news.  Sonitus suite seems to have all the important features and in a format anybody can figure out with out a manual. And it is clean. 

They were originally developed by a company called Ultrafunk.  Cakewalk bought them out 20 years or so ago.  It looks like TTS-1 was done by Roland when they owned Cakewalk and Roland wasn't nice enough to share the code.

On 3/25/2023 at 7:37 AM, John Vere said:

Sonitus suite seems to have all the important features and in a format anybody can figure out with out a manual. And it is clean.

Every DAW needs a suite of stock plug-ins, and they really are pretty nice. Given BandLab's penchant for giving things away, it wouldn't surprise me if someday they do port them to unlocked VST3.

The devs are frying larger fish at the moment, I suspect.

On 3/25/2023 at 7:37 AM, John Vere said:

It seems better suited to compressors and eq type effects.

Indeed it is. Once you figure out the curve and attack/release views, it's great for seeing what a vintage emulation compressor, and/or one with quirky controls is really up to. MTurboComp is one that kind of baffled me, with its different models that have all the standard settings for attack, release, threshold, and ratio, but then also have a knob for amount of compression. Isn't that what ratio and threshold do?

Quirky EQ's are another one, and in all cases, it's useful for checking the effect of a plug-in's internal oversampling (for those that have that feature).

And if you want to clone the characteristics of your favorite vintage emulations using your more precision tools, it's great for that.

Some compressors also induce changes in frequency response, and it will reveal that, and some EQ's also include some compression to add to the vintage mojo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Ran across this Music Radar article, "Here are our 5 favourite effects in Kilohearts Essentials, the biggest free plugin bundle on the internet":

https://www.musicradar.com/news/kilohearts-essentials-bundle-guide

The best part of Kilohearts Essentials is not some of the modules it has, but Snap Heap. Not only you can do really interesting things by combining the essentials modules inside it, you can also use Snap Heap itself as a module.