Starship Krupa

Favorite Freeware FX Thread

It's not tied to any particular iLok account until you put in the activation code, so if your um, housemate got another activation code and um, gave it to you, and you used it to activate on your iLok account, the iLok'd license would be yours.

It would still be in the cloud for the laptop, but at least it wouldn't make you kill the session on the other computer every time you wanted to use it.

Not an effect as such, but I wanted to mention a very useful audio utility that I use on every project: Mediahuman Audio Converter.

It very quickly converts just about any audio format to any other audio format, with lots of customization of settings available for bit depth, rate and other parameters.

When I do an audio export from Cakewalk or any other DAW, I do one export in one lossless format and use Mediahuman to generate any other formats that I need. Since many of the effects and instruments I use include randomization elements, if I went back to the project and did an export for WAV, then FLAC, then MP3, then AAC or whatever, chances are high that each of those exports would be different, in varying degrees of perceptibility depending on what plug-ins I used.

Check it out, it's really invaluable for my workflow.

Also very handy to have when preparing files for distribution is Mp3tag, which I use to edit metatags in audio files. Right after I do that export (which I do as FLAC), I open Mp3tag and add Artist, Title, Year, Genre, etc. to the file. This way, when I do my conversions with Mediahuman, the tags will already be in place and Mediahuman will add them to any files it creates from that master.

One more very handy free utility for analyzing media files of any kind, audio or video, is MediaInfo, which they describe as "convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files." I install both MP3tag and MediaInfo as an Explorer extensions so that I can right click on a media file name and run them. MediaInfo can tell you what bit rate and sampling rate the file uses, also which CODEC(s) and displays tags.

I really wouldn't want to be without any of the three.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/15/2021 at 5:56 AM, Starship Krupa said:

...a very useful audio utility that I use on every project...

Great tip. Thanx!

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 7:00 AM, bitflipper said:

Good to see you back, dubdisciple.

Just saw this. I missed the useful information from this forum

Found a new one today, best freeware find in a while.

OZSoft Xpander. It's billed as a stereoizer for making mono sounds into stereo sounds, and manipulating the stereo image, but it goes a lot further.

I tried it on a track where I was using (freeware) SampleScience Deep Jupiter, and within seconds, I had turned this mono bass sound into a monstrous wide, pumping thumper.

It would be well worth paying for, but we get it for free:

https://webshop.oz-soft.com/en/content/25-xpander

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Eric Liu said:

Free Origin Vintage Plugin

As mentioned in an earlier post, I consider this one essential for processing dialog samples (of which I am fond). My captures from movies and TV shows are way too clean and full-range. Add a high-pass to roll off the bass, put on Origin, and they sound great, gets that "I held the mic up to my TV speaker" sound.

• Like 1

Big news, BlueLab have made their entire line of plug-ins freeware. Lots of spectrum visualizers/editors, spatial effects, bass and air enhancement, and more.

Sad that they're throwing in the towel, but a boon for we frugal people.

Their (always free) BL Gain plug-ins have been a staple in my studio for plug-in level matching and gain staging.

It's unknown how long they'll keep their server up, so act quickly.

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Big news, BlueLab have made their entire line of plug-ins freeware. Lots of spectrum visualizers/editors, spatial effects, bass and air enhancement, and more.

Sad that they're throwing in the towel, but a boon for we frugal people.

Their (always free) BL Gain plug-ins have been a staple in my studio for plug-in level matching and gain staging.

It's unknown how long they'll keep their server up, so act quickly.

Might be just me (or browser specific), but my basket gets emptied every time I add something on the BlueLab site, so no way to actually get any of the plugins...

3 different browsers, 2 PCs,with same results so I think not me!

Edited by Kevin Perry
  • Like 1

Yeah, it started doing that with me, too. Before I posted the message, though, I did manage to snag half a dozen plug-ins. They may have just had a stampede to their server due to the word getting out. I'll be checking back in every so often to see if they get it working again.

I guess I was lucky, then. I got them all last weekend, with no problem whatsoever.

• Like 1

No problem adding to a cart, "buying" and downloading all BlueLab plug-ins using Edge just now.

• Like 1