Best small time sample library developers I should check out?

Christian Jones

2 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

Okay, I vaguely recalled GG Audio. My mother was a musician and music teacher and we grew up with a Wurli, baby grand,  organ and a Leslie. So, I am in love with those sounds and they're incredibly sentimental to me. I just checked out a YouTuber playing GG's B3 using a Leslie and man,  that sounded like Heaven. Dead serious. Beautiful. 

Did you come up with your Wurli library of choice yet? It's ridiculous that there are so many excellent Rhodes pianos of all marks long on the market but there's still a great Wurli to be made! I have a nice one from Gospel Musicians, I think it came with my Neo Soul Keys Studio as an addition whereas the whole library is hugely dedicated to Rhodes stage and suitcase pianos.

Edited by chris.r

14 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Did you come up with your Wurli library of choice yet? It's ridiculous that there are so many excellent Rhodes pianos of all marks long on the market but there's still a great Wurli to be made! I have a nice one from Gospel Musicians, I think it came with my Neo Soul Keys Studio as an addition whereas the whole library is hugely dedicated to Rhodes stage and suitcase pianos.

Yeah, I remember when those guys came on the scene, they made this killer video of them jamming and everything sounded great. But no, I didn't find the Wurl library of my dreams yet. I could always spend $20 USD on SoundPaint's Wurli. @Simeon Amburgey You did a video I watched where you played SoundPaint's Wurli, but I don't recall hearing any patches that really sounded like they captured that kind of magic tone I'm looking for for the Wurli. I don't know how to describe it, but it's probably greatly R&B like Ray Charles got out of it and a little of what the Beatles got out of it (I think Billy Preston played on those parts). I have fiddled with effects on the NI Scarbee one. The first song I played after stopping playing for 21 years started with me jamming with the KONTAKT factory library patch with a bunch of distortion and a rotary speaker on it -- a cover of "I Am the Walrus" linked below (the Wurli is panned to the right)  Of course, 21 years of not playing due to a repetitive stress injury causing lifelong tendinis that results in my getting pain after playing for a short periods combined with no practice all of those years isn't a formula for killer playing (I was going to do a really cool drum fill near the end of this song but I started having shooting pain, so just finishing was a challenge; I'm connected to one of my former drum teachers on FB and still hoping to have at least one song he says, "decent job" on -- it seriously is motivating me to keep pushing as I know he won't give false praise). 

And here's an under the radar announcement, I actually did a demo for an upcoming FANTASTIC sample library that I've waited more than a decade for. So the sample developer, who I've consulted to and become friends with, asked me to do a demo. That's coming out next week guys! I'm very excited, but yeah, no one is going to be impressed with my playing. I can promise everyone this, I didn't use an midi tricks, I played the parts in in real-time, improvised. If I can play it, so can you! And yes, I start out the demo -- I'll share it here later this week -- with a Wurli, it was the NI/Scarbee one. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

I just checked out their demo of the Wurli and it sounds great. If it was price individually and a detailed sample library (I don't know whether or not it is) and under $100 USD, I'd definitely be giving it serious consideration. But it's $250 USD for the package where the Wurli is one of many. keyboards and it's another plugin, I'm not biting I think those guys are good at getting the vibe I'm after. Consider that while my mother was a classically trained pianist and organist who taught music and played as a soloist, she also played in a rock and R&B band when I was a boy and she had a 10-12 year old version of me working out keyboard parts for Al Green, Bill Withers, Marvin Gaye and other R&B greats back then (because I could pick parts out by ear really quickly and play them), so I totally fell in love with R&B music, sounds, even though I spent two decades working as a rock drummer.  For me, the absolute end all Rhodes I have is Orange Tree Samples' Famous E (disclosure, I've consulting to OTS and became friends with Greg, Mr Orange Tree himself, over the years, but I am hyper critical and would never praise any library insincerely -- I'm too ***** retentive for that; if I'm not crazy about the work of the products I've worked on that I've consulted to, I don't comment on those products). I've begged Greg to do a Wurli.  But even if he does, that will take a long time before it's released and I really would love to have a great "deep sampled" Wurli that's not too expensive right now! 

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Talking developers and Wurlitzers I have to mention Teletone Audio.
Here is a video I did for their Vesepertone which has a Rhodes and Wurli. Here is the part of the clip I look at the Wurli.
Far out!

Thanks for chiming in. Interesting,  but definitely not the R&B kind of Ray Charles,  Marvin Gaye, Beatles/Billy Preston kind of vibe I'm after. I just bought the SoundPaint library and will report back later (the installer didn't work so I contacted their support,  completely ruining the moment of my semi-quasi, long contemplated impulse purchase. 

5 hours ago, chris.r said:

It's a difficult question to answer as I'm mostly not familiar with their whole offerings, just some singles. From Xperimenta I have La Fisharmonica and it sounds delicious. GG Audio makes an excellent alternative to IKM Hammond organ that takes almost no CPU but still sounds brilliantly well. I've got nothing from Premier, yet, but his Wind Chime is looong past due on my list, I've compared audio demos to a few other options and it just sounds best to my ears so I'm buying it soon. I also have the KeyTone from Channel Robot, quite unique sound. All of them mentioned are mostly one man businesses and seem very dedicated to their works.

The two-piano pack from Xperimenta is really worthwhile, especially for the Yamaha C3 (intimate preset is lovely). I also think it's really cool that the library was produced for a university project!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Peter Woods said:

Thanks for chiming in. Interesting,  but definitely not the R&B kind of Ray Charles,  Marvin Gaye, Beatles/Billy Preston kind of vibe I'm after. I just bought the SoundPaint library and will report back later (the installer didn't work so I contacted their support,  completely ruining the moment of my semi-quasi, long contemplated impulse purchase. 

Maybe I missed it back there but was there a wurli that you said at least came close to what you're after? 

15 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Maybe I missed it back there but was there a wurli that you said at least came close to what you're after? 

Gospel Musicians. I love the sound those guys get out of everything, but it's beyond my budget. I contemplate if I should spend anything at all more on music stuff, as it's just a hobby, nothing more.  Of course, doing my first demo for a sample library developer is a new excuse to spend money! But I already made the demo and used the Scarbee Wurli, which isn't bad, it just isn't great. If I was better with effects, I'm sure I could get what I want out of it.  

6 minutes ago, Peter Woods said:

Of course, doing my first demo for a sample library developer is a new excuse to spend money!

That's actually true. There could be more opportunities for you like that down the line. So don't worry about what stuff costs. Like, Gospel Musicians.. I'll probably buy that now since I don't have a stellar wurli that I know of, and I prefer wurli over Rhodes. They both have their place but I like one better than the other. 

And yeah speaking of GG Audio, their B3 is the B3 I'm gonna get over the IK B3 most likely. With organs, I really like that organ "growl" or palm glissanndo, which is what I think it's really called where you basically start at the low end of the keys and you sweep the keys w/ your palm and you get that kind of organ explosion growl thing into the chord that you play after it. This guy says the IK B3 was the only organ he found that let him get a proper organ growl, but idk if he ever tried the GG Audio B3. I don't see why the GG Audio B3 wouldn't give a good growl, but. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

That's actually true. There could be more opportunities for you like that down the line. So don't worry about what stuff costs. Like, Gospel Musicians.. I'll probably buy that now since I don't have a stellar wurli that I know of, and I prefer wurli over Rhodes. They both have their place but I like one better than the other. 

And yeah speaking of GG Audio, their B3 is the B3 I'm gonna get over the IK B3 most likely. With organs, I really like that organ "growl" or palm glissanndo, which is what I think it's really called where you basically start at the low end of the keys and you sweep the keys w/ your palm and you get that kind of organ explosion growl thing into the chord that you play after it. This guy says the IK B3 was the only organ he found that let him get a proper organ growl, but idk if he ever tried the GG Audio B3. I don't see why the GG Audio B3 wouldn't give a good growl, but. 

That GG Audio B3 sounded great. IK and GG both have product trials/demos, right? If you haven't already, I would definitely download the demo for each before making the decision. Although to be frank, as fantastic as the GG Audio B3 sounds, I would be a little uneasy about a plugin from an indie developer I was unfamiliar with. What happens if the guy can't make a good enough income and exits the plugin biz? What happens if he passes away? Sorry if that sounds dark, but that is the concerns I have when it's a small dev doing a plugin that keep me from spending too much. I mean, IK is a known entity, so there's little risk there. As much as I love small devs, I'm not as enthusiastic when it comes to plugins. If it was under $50 USD, I would be more inclined to take the risk. 

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Great Idea 1

I'm a big fan of Dream Audio Tools   A lot of great libraries, very reasonably priced.  And their are sales that make them even more reasonable.

I'm a big fan of their Indie Fingers series, which are libraries composed of  contemporary pop/rock guitar arpegggios, which you can combine.  You can make amazing tracks just combining some of these arps.  

Also, +++++`1 for Indiginus.  I think that Tracy Collins is one of the greatest makers of virtual instruments ever, along with Tarilonte, Alex at Cinematic Studio, and Eric Persing of Spectrasonics.  He makes instruments that sound great and are also a lot of fun to play.   The thing I particularly like is that he has an auto-harmony feature.  You can bring this in and out with keyswitches or velocity or other cc, but I am lazy and tend to just leave it on all the time.

Do NOT make the mistake that because Indiginus products are so cheap that they are not number one.  I have excellent guitars by Orange Tree Samples and AmpleSound, but I generally reach for my Indiginus ones.  Or... I try them all for a piece and the Indiginus ones sound best.  The problem with a company like Indiginus for a forum like this is that there are no sales--therefore there is no sense of occasion, like "I have to buy now!"  I never miss a product introduction, and I've tried to pick up one or two a year. 

Here's a little thing I did using the harmony effect on both Indiginus's The Fiddle and The STEEL, the amazing Indiginus Lap Steel, that I use all the time. With tools like this even a shmo like me can get beautiful sounds very quickly.   (Guitar is NI's Picked Acoustic.)

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

Gospel Musicians. I love the sound those guys get out of everything, but it's beyond my budget. I contemplate if I should spend anything at all more on music stuff, as it's just a hobby, nothing more.  Of course, doing my first demo for a sample library developer is a new excuse to spend money! But I already made the demo and used the Scarbee Wurli, which isn't bad, it just isn't great. If I was better with effects, I'm sure I could get what I want out of it.  

Look out for audio plugin deals/vstbuzz deals on Gospel Musicians, I got a great deal on a bunch of good stuff and then there are quite fair upgrade offers and deals on GM own website. It helps a lot to login to see the offers.

For Wurli there's one more library worth checking out: Session Keys Electric W from e-instruments.com

Also there's Broken Wurli from Soniccouture but that one, I think, was already mentioned in the other thread.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Look out for audio plugin deals/vstbuzz deals on Gospel Musicians, I got a great deal on a bunch of good stuff and then there are quite fair upgrade offers and deals on GM own website. It helps a lot to login to see the offers.

For Wurli there's one more library worth checking out: Session Keys Electric W from e-instruments.com

Also there's Broken Wurli from Soniccouture but that one, I think, was already mentioned in the other thread.

I completely forgot about e-instruments Electric W. I think I'm going to get that next sale.  I do really like that dev. I have their upright piano library -- it has two uprights-- and use it regularly.  SoundPaint still hasn't responded to my support ticket-- beyond their automated email reply. Stinks for an impulse purchase that now I won't even have time to try it maybe at all this weekend because their installer rejected their  code.   

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Peter Woods said:

SoundPaint still hasn't responded to my support ticket-- beyond their automated email reply. Stinks for an impulse purchase that now I won't even have time to try it maybe at all this weekend because their installer rejected their  code.   

I'm sure that you may already be aware of this, but tossing this out there just in case...

If you are copying and pasting an access key make sure that you are not copying any empty spaces at either the beginning or end of the key. These spaces are ascii characters that can make the entered key appear incorrect to the program. I usually click my cursor in line within the entry box and backspace or delete any blanks after pasting to be sure. I have had this happen a number of times with various programs... :)

1 minute ago, abacab said:

I'm sure that you may already be aware of this, but tossing this out there just in case...

If you are copying and pasting an access key make sure that you are not copying any empty spaces at either the beginning or end of the key. These spaces are ascii characters that can make the entered key appear incorrect to the program. I usually click my cursor in line within the entry box and backspace or delete any blanks after pasting to be sure. I have had this happen a number of times with various programs... :)

The SoundPaint app automatically finds the library when it starts but when I attempt to download it says it can't find the file with the specified serial code. When I enter it in manually I get the identical error message. As I just click their copy code button and can see the cut and paste, I am certain it's pasted in correctly. It simply doesn't work for some reason. 

6 minutes ago, Peter Woods said:

The SoundPaint app automatically finds the library when it starts but when I attempt to download it says it can't find the file with the specified serial code. When I enter it in manually I get the identical error message. As I just click their copy code button and can see the cut and paste, I am certain it's pasted in correctly. It simply doesn't work for some reason. 

That's really weird, sorry to hear that! Did you try the live chat widget on their home page? Maybe some unfortunate person is actually working this weekend...

47 minutes ago, abacab said:

That's really weird, sorry to hear that! Did you try the live chat widget on their home page? Maybe some unfortunate person is actually working this weekend...

Yes, I tried live chat yesterday,  no one was there and it turned into a support ticket. But I'm taking the family to a baseball game in a bit -- which I love -- but you can guess that at times during the game, my mind will drift to thoughts of that Wurli library! Sad, but true. 

EDIT: Problem solved. I needed to update my installation of SoundPaint. Downloading the library right now. 

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Like 1