IK - Amplitube TONEX - Has Landed

Heath Row

21 minutes ago, antler said:

Hey @Peter - IK Multimedia - if I plug in a guitar and record a gear snapshot*, will the tone sound different if I plug in a completely different guitar that naturally has a different sound (e.g. if they have different pickups)? Or is there some sort of modelling that tries to make the input signals the same too?

*sorry if I've not used the right terminology

The capture doesn't have the guitar in the workflow.  It outputs a known signal and captures the results from the mics.

Take a look of the TONEX Capture web pages for diagrams of how the gear is hooked up (at least with a re-amp box).

Edited by ALC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

In your case you'd use it as a "player" so yes.  The list has some pretty sought-after gear captured, too, like the fabled Dumble Super Overdrive and a Klon (you can see both in some of the screenshots on the AmpliTube TONEX site too).

Edit - plus whatever users share using the TONENET for AmpliTube TONEX platform.

Ahh yes, the  modded de-gooped Dumble that was Bonnamassa's.   Did you buy it from Wild West Guitars or just get to borrow it for the modeling?

Of note it is a 50W ODS not the typical 100W.

I'm curious on these if the modeling handles capturing the range of the knobs (gain, eq, swtiches, etc) or just static grabs of a particular setting then the software takes over to allow some adjustment of say eq and tone curves.

Some of the "list" suggests a single chain with stompboxes in it, are those baked into the profile, or were they captured independenlty so they can be switched on and off?

There's also the iOS version: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/tonexios/  That's exciting (to have the same modeling on iOS).  I wonder there are any aural compromises vs. Mac/PC.

From my reading, there's going to be a common TONEX store for iOS, TONEX Mac/PC, and AmpliTube 5.  So, I'm assuming that if we purchase TONEX SE Mac/PC, it'll unlock the TONEX SE IAP on iOS (similar to how SSSR on MixBox Mac/PC unlocked SSSR on MixBox iOS).  Correct?

Edited by ALC

2 hours ago, antler said:

Hey @Peter - IK Multimedia - if I plug in a guitar and record a gear snapshot*, will the tone sound different if I plug in a completely different guitar that naturally has a different sound (e.g. if they have different pickups)? Or is there some sort of modelling that tries to make the input signals the same too?

*sorry if I've not used the right terminology

Looks like this was answered correctly.  Your guitar is not part of the capture process.

2 hours ago, ALC said:

I assume that eventually, TONEX SE will be a free option with hardware (free bonus software title), in which case, it's a compelling reason to get it via a hardware purchase.

TONEX SE is free with TONEX Capture which is the absolute best pairing.  And once released it should be a choice with select hardware I'll remind the team we usually add SE versions to that list and see what's up there.

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Ahh yes, the  modded de-gooped Dumble that was Bonnamassa's.   Did you buy it from Wild West Guitars or just get to borrow it for the modeling?

Of note it is a 50W ODS not the typical 100W.

I'm curious on these if the modeling handles capturing the range of the knobs (gain, eq, swtiches, etc) or just static grabs of a particular setting then the software takes over to allow some adjustment of say eq and tone curves.

Some of the "list" suggests a single chain with stompboxes in it, are those baked into the profile, or were they captured independenlty so they can be switched on and off?

Not borrowed.  Paid for it, cash money.  I played it, it's a beast of an amp - sounds amazing.  We don't typically borrow anything unless it is something like Dimebag's estate's gear that we can't keep for obvious reasons.

You can see the full measurement process using the Dumble in our latest video posted this morning.  Stompboxes can be measured either on their own or part of the chain.

1 hour ago, ALC said:

There's also the iOS version: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/tonexios/  That's exciting (to have the same modeling on iOS).  I wonder there are any aural compromises vs. Mac/PC.

From my reading, there's going to be a common TONEX store for iOS, TONEX Mac/PC, and AmpliTube 5.  So, I'm assuming that if we purchase TONEX SE Mac/PC, it'll unlock the TONEX SE IAP on iOS (similar to how SSSR on MixBox Mac/PC unlocked SSSR on MixBox iOS).  Correct?

Right you can by the SE, regular, or MAX version and use the Tone Models across platforms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Since this came up elsewhere and you can catch it in the video if you notice we're using a capture of both amp and cab whilst switching amps and cabs...

Just to be clear about the amp and cab "separation" question: Even if  you capture amp + cab at the same time, TONEX is able to split them after the fact so you can swap cabs (or amps) at will.

You do not need to do two captures.  This is unique to TONEX.

• Like 4

Seems there have been some questions or has been some confusion about whether this is intended to replace AmpliTube 5 or at least how it is different so I figured this reply that we've posted as a response to that might be helpful here too:

AmpliTube and TONEX are two different products using different technologies: AmpliTube is made using analog modeling technology while TONEX uses a new technology called AI machine modeling ( https://www.amplitube.com/ai ). While analog modeling simulates the behavior of the whole circuit of the amp - with all the knobs, switches, buttons and their interactions  -  AI machine modeling gives an ultra-realistic simulation of the rig with a specific knob settings. So it's not that one technology  is "better" than the other, it depends of what the final user's needs are: full editing and customization versus accuracy in getting a specific sound. Using them together gives of course the best of both worlds and a super-powerful amp-sim system.

The two products are also different because AmpliTube can simulate the entire set up used in guitar recording (multiple serial and parallel rigs combining amps, all type of stomp effects, post effects, cabinets and microphones, etc.. with full editing down to the single gear), while TONEX is dedicated to simulates just amp, cabinets and certain type of pedals (distortions, overdrive, fuzz, EQ, boost) in each of their combinations. However TONEX can be used inside AmpliTube, as a sub-system of amps and pedals, again to have the best of both worlds.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Last Call said:

Does Tonex come with lots of different captures, presets, whatever you call them, ready to be used?

Yes, TONEX MAX includes 1,000 Tone Models ready to be used.  ToneNET for TONEX will be up and running with more free from us and from users.  The list of the Tone Models (including which version of software they're included) is available on the TONEX web page.

Edited by Peter - IK Multimedia
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Last Call said:

Does Tonex come with lots of different captures, presets, whatever you call them, ready to be used?

My understanding is "yes".  based on what I have been seeing on discussion forums  about this, what this does is bring you a little closer to the actual sound of the gear. So for example, using the example of the Vinnie Moore presets.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=10689

https://soundcloud.com/tonenet/vinnie-moore-rock-af

In the current AT5 eco sytem, Vinnie uses his knowledge of guitar amps and effects and his copy of AT5 to make a preset which you can use with your copy of AT5 at home. In the ToneX eco system, Vinnie uses his knowledge of guitar, and effects and his gear at home to make a preset which you can then use with your copy of ToneX at home and you feed it your dry guitar signal. So you have access to Vinnie's knowledge and his gear (sort of!) but you still can't play like him,  but you are much closer to Vinnie's sound. 

That's my understanding. I may be wrong. Still waiting to see how this product works when it's released.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Hear the results of the Dumble capture from the last video, the Tone Models played over the theme and A/B'd with the real amp.

That sounds awesome, if everything heard and seen so far comes to fruition IK is going to be on a winner. I really hope there will be no last minute hang ups or anything, and that we do indeed get it in our grubby little hands in September (hopefully the very minute, no the very second it ticks over to the new month 😇)

All the best with it, I really hope IK brings this mutha on home, I hope the release goes well for all, I can't wait to get it installed on my PC, and be able to check all the goodness that MAX will bring. 🤞 🙏

• Like 2