IK - Amplitube TONEX - Has Landed

Heath Row

Just now, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Still can't get this quite! Are the presets the 20 free amp models? Do I click on Buy to add the models from Tonex on Tonenet? Very seldom does software bug me out but this is ridiculous!

You get 20 models included in TONEX CS.  These are free Tone Models of various types.  You can see which ones are in which version on the posted list on the TONEX web pages.  That should help.  They should be readily available in the list of Tone Models at the bottom of the TONEX software interface.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

You get 20 models included in TONEX CS.  These are free Tone Models of various types.  You can see which ones are in which version on the posted list on the TONEX web pages.  That should help.  They should be readily available in the list of Tone Models at the bottom of the TONEX software interface.

No way in heck am I going to bother getting the "you don't have access to this gear" message with every other click.  There's an option to apply a search filter to limit out the Premium Tone Models so only the Free Tone Models remain.  It shows no models when I apply the filter to include only free models.  Is there something I'm missing?

14 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

No way in heck am I going to bother getting the "you don't have access to this gear" message with every other click.  There's an option to apply a search filter to limit out the Premium Tone Models so only the Free Tone Models remain.  It shows no models when I apply the filter to include only free models.  Is there something I'm missing?

I believe Tone Models are just individual setups. (i.e. A preset, not the full amp in every captured configuration)

2 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

image.png.2ab4732895114095731863b89d36f4ea.png

When I selected Own = Yes, it went from 1020 models to 20 (15 amp/cab pairs and 5 stomps, IIRC).  The 1 in the circle shows that I only had 1 filter parameter selected. 

Additional details: The above is based on 1.0.1. Not sure if the Owned = Yes filter parameter's success is part of "General reliability improvements."

Changes from the previous version (1.0.0):

Fixed a crash that happened when loading a Custom IR.

General reliability improvements

Edited by User 905133
added reference to version 1.0.1 based on other discussion
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

I found this filter to be buggy so far.  But when I restart the app I usually get the option to select yes/no related to only showing what you own.

After that, all bets are off if i click something else frequently those options seem to go away and then I have to restart to get them back.  Hopefully we don't keep seeing the "update is avaiable" over and over again for things that should have been worked out during beta.  I mean they released an update the same day it was released already

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

I found this filter to be buggy so far.  But when I restart the app I usually get the option to select yes/no related to only showing what you own.

After that, all bets are off if i click something else frequently those options seem to go away and then I have to restart to get them back.  Hopefully we don't keep seeing the "update is avaiable" over and over again for things that should have been worked out during beta.  I mean they released an update the same day it was released already

Would you prefer them to leave any bugs that show up and not fix them? I think it's great that they got on to whatever it was so quick.

I have no issues thus far, has been solid as a rock. I have MAX so I don't have the issue of the 'you don't have access . . . ' message.

From where I stand it seems to be a fairly solid release, with no issues for me, maybe things they could add or change, but no 'problems', and I've been hammering it night and day since release.

Anyway, that's my take

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, heath row said:

Would you prefer them to leave any bugs that show up and not fix them? I think it's great that they got on to whatever it was so quick.

I have no issues thus far, has been solid as a rock. I have MAX so I don't have the issue of the 'you don't have access . . . ' message.

From where I stand it seems to be a fairly solid release, with no issues for me, maybe things they could add or change, but no 'problems', and I've been hammering it night and day since release.

Anyway, that's my take

Of course I appreciate fixes but I'm not a deep diver on this kind of software looking for problems to point out.  I launched it for the first time and within 10 minutes I found what seems like a bug that required me to restart the application again and again.  

Maybe the beta testers simply got MAX, or the beta testing should have gone to a few different audiences with different versions.

Smoother than some of the other releases, I'll grant them that.  But with an install size of 4+gb each "update" is kind of annoying especially as it leaves each zip behind on the OS HD.

Product sounds and also feels good from the limited testing I did.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:35 PM, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

TONEX includes two types of Tone Models: Premium and user-generated.
All downloaded Tone Models are yours to keep forever.

1. Premium: Tone Models that come with your TONEX version

2. User: Tone Models created and shared by TONEX users

image.png.ebe30595485cf17c8e670c88fc7455c9.png 

Based on Tonex CS actual behavior and information from the IK Website, the 20 that are included in CS are considered owned by the filter [Owned = Yes].  They are Premium Tone Models as opposed to User Tone Models. 

If I select "Free Tone Model" none of the 20 are shown regardless of whether Owned = Yes or Owned = No. That's because I have not downloaded any of the 20 User Tone Models I am allowed with the CS version.

As I see it, there is potential confusion because "Free" is used (1) in reference to the Free Tonex CS license and (2) in reference to User Tone Models.   

Edited by User 905133
changed "if" to "whether" because "of if" looked like a typo.
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I'm considering getting the SE version. Does anyone know if that is a mistake if I want to eventually get the regular version?

ETA: After looking through the list of models a bit more, I really wish you could just choose what amps you wanted, like Amplitube. If I want to go from the SE version to the regular version, I'm really only gaining a few amps that I'd ever end up playing. I have no use for all the chugging metal amps, at all. Basically there are a few amps from every product tier that I would want. I get why they do that (to make money) but it's still kind of a bummer. I want to buy what I'll actually use.

Edited by RSMcGuitar
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I'm considering getting the SE version. Does anyone know if that is a mistake if I want to eventually get the regular version?

ETA: After looking through the list of models a bit more, I really wish you could just choose what amps you wanted, like Amplitube. If I want to go from the SE version to the regular version, I'm really only gaining a few amps that I'd ever end up playing. I have no use for all the chugging metal amps, at all. Basically there are a few amps from every product tier that I would want. I get why they do that (to make money) but it's still kind of a bummer. I want to buy what I'll actually use.

Check if there is an upgrade path from SE to Max. I am still trying it out and deciding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Was thinking the exact same thing today.

I'm betting SE becomes much more enticing once users upload a lot more profiled amps.  The question is really the issue that you need some specialized hardware beyond an amp, interface and mic to capture the profile that will limit the profiles we see right out of the gate.  Not to mention the reports of the profiling to take an hour for a single mic position using a solid spec machine.  That will also limit some of what could have been.

Honestly the amps IKM has done that I'm interested in seem sparse, and an ala cart amplitude style offering would have been welcome.

Those looking for high gain should be in paradise right now though.  

This technology has a lot of promise but at the same time I also expect we will see a little too much amp + effect built into the patch which in my testing kills dynamics and responsiveness to vol pot changes. just like it tends to do in the real world.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

.  .  .  I have no use for all the chugging metal amps, at all.  .  .  .

I know what you mean, I am a bit that way myself, but to my surprise some of the amps I thought I would dislike became amps I like. Either backing off drive, or getting another capture with less drive etc. They became very likeable crunchy, edge of breakup and low to medium gain, and the clean were surprisingly good.

ToneNET, I'll have to check it out one day, but I have flashbacks to how Positive Grids ToneCloud was, endless trudging through less than mediocre captures to even find 1 that was worth the effort, ending up with an unruly pile that you never use. I ended up only getting those from PG or Pro's, but mainly preferred just building and tweaking my own. I very well could just end up doing the same here, waiting for IK to release packs, assuming they are going to, or those done by IK's 'endorsment Pro's' whatever you call them. Endlessly trolling through the chaff to find the gold is certainly not fun or appealing. YMMV 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

The user Tone Models are getting rave reviews from other users, it is worth checking out ToneNET as there's some really good stuff up there already.

Good point! Even though I am limited to 20 downloads (I have ToNex CS), I have been previewing the user-generated contributions and have been finding a lot of quality and diversity.  IK has really sparked major enthusiasm among guitarists.

For guitarists who invest in a tier that has unlimited user models, I am wondering if they would benefit from having the ability to have several namable sets of favorites which can be selected using the filter.  I found that a number of the user-contributed models that have been designated as Clean are not very clean to my ear.

Congrats to IK for inspiring all the interest you have been getting in such a very short time.

3 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

The user Tone Models are getting rave reviews from other users, it is worth checking out ToneNET as there's some really good stuff up there already.

Yes indeed, that is what I came to say, I dropped in to check them out and everyone I checked out I ended up downloading, I had to just leave before my day slipped away down the rabbit hole. It is so far the exact opposite of my experience with PD's ToneCloud. 

But be warned, time will fly by, and you may find yourself being there for longer than you expected if you don't monitor yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

A few I tested were pretty good.  

Might want to make some suggestions to the product team as this is going to get more unwieldy as time goes on and the scrolling in the application isn't smooth as it searches for the next tones to pull up based on date.

I'd think some additional filtering and sorting options would be helpful as this thing starts to take off.

Also for those on the "free" version, the preview of all the tone models to entice you to go for a paid option would really benefit from less white noise (both frequency and volume/signal to noise ratio).  I can't even sustain a note/chord long enough to evaluate the full decay without white noise kicking in, it is crazy.   It feels like a lets annoy the potential customer to the point where they have to buy it just to try it out.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Last Call said:

In  TONEX CS you can only have/download 20 user presets (user shared presets)?

image.png.480943e3d1f9c4ef776ca7d2e79935c2.png

Source (about 7/8ths of the way down)

NOTE: I could be wrong, the website could be wrong/misleading, etc.  BTW, if you look at the comparison with the higher tiers, CS doesn't say "unlimited tone model creation" like the others do.  I take that to mean we cannot create any tone models with CS.  Again, I could be wrong, the website might be wrong/misleading, etc.

Edited by User 905133
  • Thanks 1