Forge of Gravitons

Xoo

Sweet tune Kevin. The drums give the piece a certain momentum that really feels like it drives it along. One small suggestion that might give it a slightly different direction - and please feel free to ignore - might be to open up a little towards the end: the highs are quite attenuated throughout, and I was thinking at some point there might be a cymbal crash transitioning to a more open sound to end with; probably just indicative of stuff I usually listen to though. Great work!

Thanks both.  I got lazy with the drums (and the ending for that matter) as I just wanted to get a tune done*, so didn't spend much time on them after the first few bars.  I agree that something like a cymbal crash/opening up would work - I think I'm going to extend it and fade into a slower, ambient, minor part as the guitar reverb fades out.

* I'm sure like many of us here, we have a bazillion half-done tunes sitting on our PCs!

Thanks (and thanks for the earlier feedback which helped me sculpt the tune).  And with a nod to @Wookiee, gear/plugin list:

- Drums - BFD 2
- Synths - Surge XT, Korg MS-20, u-he Zebralette, G-Force Minomonsta
- All guitar FX TH-U, enhanced with Valhalla Shimmer, Supermassive and SpaceModulator
- Various Cakewalk stock Pro Channel effects

• 2 weeks later...

song: nice work on the alternating two chord motif....rhythm section moves along really well....the lead guitar truly makes this work, lyrical playing with a constant introduction of strong melodies that dovetail perfectly with the rhythm....this piece could be a part of larger composition 🎶🎶🎶🎶

mix: I would mix the lead guitar a bit louder and double track a few riffs here and there and generally expand the guitar playing tastefully....cheers

Thanks for that @Larry T.  I'm mixing late at night (well, ealry in the morning really!) so am trying to second guess a bit of the instrument balance.  Thinking about some double tracking though has given me some ideas...watch this (pardon the pun) space.

Very cool drum riff, though pretty much unchanged through the whole piece. After listening for a while I kind of expected the tempo to pick up and more instruments coming in, all leading to an explosive ending. Well, that's just me I guess.
-Bjorn

On 7/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, Larry T. said:

song: nice work on the alternating two chord motif....rhythm section moves along really well....the lead guitar truly makes this work, lyrical playing with a constant introduction of strong melodies that dovetail perfectly with the rhythm....this piece could be a part of larger composition 🎶🎶🎶🎶

mix: I would mix the lead guitar a bit louder and double track a few riffs here and there and generally expand the guitar playing tastefully....cheers

I did some of this (and added some more ear candy too, just because I could):

https://www.bandlab.com/xoospacemusic/forge-of-gravitons-550cb3b0?revId=30e84255-ab09-ed11-b47a-281878315d59

Hi KEvin, nice piece here! The ear candy is stellar. No you don't have to pardon the pun.

The guitar cranks along and your playing is very fluid indeed. I can't comment on the Dr Who-isms because I haven't heard the theme.

I would invite you to play some reference tracks along and compare to your mix. Maybe go get a mix done by something Cirque du Soleil musicians? Lookup La Nouba,  as I think your piece would sit well in that production. Then you could get a second read on the possibilities for your mix. You might get a bit more crack on the snare, yank some reverb from the guitar, certainly cut away some lower eq from the reverbs as they return, that sort of thing.  It's all subjective, and your piece is high energy fun as it is.

Another idea is to simply update your original post with the very latest mix, instead of building up a chronology of mixes in different posts as you go.

Keep at this one, it's not like a black hole at all, because it doesn't suck.

cheers,

-Tom

8 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Hi KEvin, nice piece here! The ear candy is stellar. No you don't have to pardon the pun.

The guitar cranks along and your playing is very fluid indeed. I can't comment on the Dr Who-isms because I haven't heard the theme.

I would invite you to play some reference tracks along and compare to your mix. Maybe go get a mix done by something Cirque du Soleil musicians? Lookup La Nouba,  as I think your piece would sit well in that production. Then you could get a second read on the possibilities for your mix. You might get a bit more crack on the snare, yank some reverb from the guitar, certainly cut away some lower eq from the reverbs as they return, that sort of thing.  It's all subjective, and your piece is high energy fun as it is.

Another idea is to simply update your original post with the very latest mix, instead of building up a chronology of mixes in different posts as you go.

Keep at this one, it's not like a black hole at all, because it doesn't suck.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks @PhonoBrainer - I've updated the top post with the latest revision URL.  I really hope it's my final version!