Syntronic 1 and 2 confusion

kitekrazy

It seems there are versions of each synth like Blau.    Doesn't this add more bloat having both?

I don't think you can remove Syn sounds since there is no uninstaller for each library.    These Sampletank libraries don't seem to be easy to navigate like Kontakt if I need to delete those.

I'm hoping these overwrite Synthronik 1.  I noticed that Syntronik 1 is not in Add/Remove Programs.

I have Syntronic 1 & 2 installed in different directories (on purpose). On my computer, both programs have uninstallers in Add/Remove Programs. I intended to uninstall Syn 1 and never got around to it. Concerning multiple versions of each synth, you should only see one.

If I understand your situation, since you don't have an uninstaller for Syn 1, what I would do is just install Syn 2 instruments over the Syn 1 files.

36 minutes ago, Olong Johnson said:

I have Syntronic 1 & 2 installed in different directories (on purpose). On my computer, both programs have uninstallers in Add/Remove Programs. I intended to uninstall Syn 1 and never got around to it. Concerning multiple versions of each synth, you should only see one.

If I understand your situation, since you don't have an uninstaller for Syn 1, what I would do is just install Syn 2 instruments over the Syn 1 files.

It looks like they over write the 1st version.  All instruments have a folder call Syntronik 2.

7 hours ago, Paul Young said:

It seems there are versions of each synth like Blau.    Doesn't this add more bloat having both?

I don't think you can remove Syn sounds since there is no uninstaller for each library.    These Sampletank libraries don't seem to be easy to navigate like Kontakt if I need to delete those.

I'm hoping these overwrite Synthronik 1.  I noticed that Syntronik 1 is not in Add/Remove Programs.

I own Syntronik 1 Deluxe, have Syntronik 2 CS installed, and just added the full Syn 2 version of V-80.

I thought there would be more than 38 new V-80 v2 presets, but apparently not. So it appears that the v2 instruments do not duplicate the v1 instruments, but only v2 can be opened in the editor.

So my conclusion, for better or worse, is that any bloat exists at the sample level, and IK's system is very opaque in that regard.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ideally they should have made all of the Syntronik 1 sounds able to be edited in Syntronik 2 as well, so then that way people just need to install Syntronik 2 and then any instruments from Syntronik 1 that they wish to use.

It's a little clunky where Syn2 can only play the instruments from Syn1 and not edit them..

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Yeah. I too am a little confused. Yesterday I managed to get a little time with syntronik2. I picked up the ADP V-80 freebie. I think its installed. I can't really tell. When i launch  Syntronik 2 and filter for only Syntronik 2 patches, it shows about 10 or 12 presets for V-80. Is that right or should there be more?

1 hour ago, telecode 101 said:

Yeah. I too am a little confused. Yesterday I managed to get a little time with syntronik2. I picked up the ADP V-80 freebie. I think its installed. I can't really tell. When i launch  Syntronik 2 and filter for only Syntronik 2 patches, it shows about 10 or 12 presets for V-80. Is that right or should there be more?

I have 38 v2 presets for the V-80, 104 v1 presets (the same as noted in abacab's post).

15 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Ideally they should have made all of the Syntronik 1 sounds able to be edited in Syntronik 2 as well, so then that way people just need to install Syntronik 2 and then any instruments from Syntronik 1 that they wish to use.

It's a little clunky where Syn2 can only play the instruments from Syn1 and not edit them..

That's a great idea, but from what IK has said it's that the instrument programming changed for Syn 2 and required a new synth engine. So they included both v1 and v2 synth engines in the Syn 2 software to enable playing both instrument versions.

That's similar to the differences between SampleTank 3 and SampleTank 4 instruments. Syntronik 1 is based on the ST3 engine, while Syntronik 2 is based on the ST4 engine.

You can open ST3 instruments in ST4, but the editor in there only allows "ST3 Legacy" mode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olong Johnson said:

I have 38 v2 presets for the V-80, 104 v1 presets 

Thanks for confirming this.  

If you want to have some fun trying to understand what's going on, take a Generation 2 preset and compare editing it in the Generation 1 editor (the one that simulates a hardware instrument panel) and the Generation 2 editor (what IKM calls the "Edit Panel"). The EDIT button at the bottom of the UI toggles between the two.

Edited by User 905133
changed "an instrument" to "a hardware instrument"
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

I gotta be doing something wrong them I re-installed multple times that V-80 and I just get the 12 or so presets.\

I am exploring this problem for myself ATM.  With Syntronik 2 SE, I had 104 Generation 1 V-80 Presets and 12 Generation 2 V-80 Presets.  I thought I added the "freebie" correctly, but that only added 3 additional Generation 2 V-80 Presets.  I looked in a file I unzipped and installed and sure enough, it only contained 3 new ones (for a total of 15, not 38). 

I have some theories on what might have happened if it is user error (mine).  I might not have downloaded, unzipped, and installed everything. 

Testing now . . .  Updated post anticipated . . . 

BTW, under My Products > Download Resources, the link for SYN2_V-80_SL_Update.zip and SYN2_V-80_SL_Update.dmg are switched.  I think I just ran that updater (the unzipped zip file installer).  So that might explain why I have 12 + 3 Generation 2 V-80 presets.  Maybe!  

BINGO!!!!! I now have 38.  TY abacab!!!!! 

Not sure if this will help others, but evidently the update file just added 3 Generation 2 presets.  With the IKM Product Manager I saw that although I had downloaded the V-80 freebie, I did not Installed it.  (The button was grey.) So, I told it to update and now I have the 38 Generation 2 V-80 presets!  🙂 

Edited by User 905133
Added updates
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I am exploring this problem for myself ATM.  With Syntronik 2 SE, I had 104 Generation 1 V-80 Presets and 12 Generation 2 V-80 Presets.  I thought I added the "freebie" correctly, but that only added 3 additional Generation 2 V-80 Presets.  I looked in a file I unzipped and installed and sure enough, it only contained 3 new ones (for a total of 15, not 38). 

I have some theories on what might have happened if it is user error (mine).  I might not have downloaded, unzipped, and installed everything. 

Testing now . . .  Updated post anticipated . . . 

BTW, under My Products > Download Resources, the link for SYN2_V-80_SL_Update.zip and SYN2_V-80_SL_Update.dmg are switched.  I think I just ran that updater (the unzipped zip file installer).  So that might explain why I have 12 + 3 Generation 2 V-80 presets.  Maybe!  

BINGO!!!!! I now have 38.  TY abacab!!!!! 

Not sure if this will help others, but evidently the update file just added 3 Generation 2 presets.  With the IKM Product Manager I saw that although I had downloaded the V-80 freebie, I did not Installed it.  (The button was grey.) So, I told it to update and now I have the 38 Generation 2 V-80 presets!  🙂 

that works. i never checked the IKM product manager. to install. i think i got about 40 or so patches now. i did a quick demo using both the arturia and this one. its amazing how different they sound. 

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

i did a quick demo using both the arturia and this one. its amazing how different they sound. 

Well, Syntronik uses samples of a REAL CS-80... 😉

But Arturia has a lot more presets and sound shaping controls...