Jamstix Holiday Sale!

cclarry

I tested the free version.

Nothing loaded as default. Couldn't get a sound out of it from scratch.

Couldn't find a preset that loaded a kit and a pattern that i could listen to.

I could easily find a animated 3d room. Empty of course.

At some time i tested jamstix 2 and i liked it.

I don't like this version 4. They seem to think that a 3d view of the drums is something essential to drum software. Dumbfers.

• Like 1

Warning to Mac users that this does not work too well apparently, I’d check their forums first, seem like a lot of complaints.

I bought this years ago and started using it again (on windows), I kind of like it but fills always sound really fake. Much prefer a decent midi file played by a real drummer instead

@Kurre

Did you try downloading the demo using the Jamstix 4 Manager? https://www.rayzoon.com/rayzoon_downloads.html 

I have full Jamstix with all expansions and the Jamstix Manager works reliably for me (Windows 10).  
I am running 4.5.0 Beta 1 which seems pretty reliable so far and the previous non-beta was also fine (you can enable beta installs in the Jamstix Manager under Install Options).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm running the 4.5.0 beta too - and find it fairly stable on windows 10 / Cubase

I do agree about the rather odd GUI choices pointed out by Kurre and the steep/vertical learning curve - More importantly I'd love to see some proper ongoing development.  The latest beta took a couple of years to come out  and it has very minor fixes.  Judging from the progress it feels like it's a fairly low priority for Ralph.  It's a shame because it has lots of potential locked away, deep within it.

If I'm honest, I'd like it even more if Toontrack would build this functionality into Superior Drummer or EZdrummer.   They would almost certainly fix the issues I, personally have with it.

Just my opinion obvs :)

Edited by simon
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, simon said:

I'm running the 4.5.0 beta too - and find it fairly stable on windows 10 / Cubase

I do agree about the rather odd GUI choices pointed out by Kurre and the steep/vertical learning curve - More importantly I'd love to see some proper ongoing development.  The latest beta took a couple of years to come out  and it has very minor fixes.  Judging from the progress it feels like it's a fairly low priority for Ralph.  It's a shame because it has lots of potential locked away, deep within it.

If I'm honest, I like it even more if Toontrack would build this functionality into Superior Drummer or EZdrummer.   They would almost certainly fix the issues I, personally have with it.

Just my opinion obvs :)

Yes, got to agree with all of this Simon. My main point to Kurre was to try installing the demo through Jamstix Manager if he hasn't tried that already and see if that works any better.

One point is that Jamstix does seem to scale a bit better on my Ultrawide monitor; which is my main gripe with EZDrummer (and EZKeys). UI Scaling is a long overdue addition.  Agree that 3D drums was not top of my wish list (actually wasn't even on the wish list).

At the end of the day, I see it as another drum option which I would rather have than be without (especially when bought at the sale prices). 

I also wish the dev would "get back on board" with the development.  A decent development plan based on customer requests would be a start.

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know there are issues with Jamstix for Mac (plenty of warnings on their website), but for Windows it's great.  It's my favorite drum software as it's designed to work like a real drummer - it will only play what a real drummer can play - 2 arms and 2 feet.

It's drum samples are not great, so I usually replace them with other kits, and the program makes that easy to do.

If Jamstix has one major problem, it's the learning curve.   This is not like any other drum program so it will take some time to understand how to use it, but if you want a program that can emulate a huge amount of styles and drummers, then Jamstix is the way to go. 

Also, it's incredibly inexpensive compared to all the other drum software on the market.  Right now it's on sale for $119 for Jamstix and every add-on which includes 191 styles and 41 drummers.

And there is a free demo version that will give you a good taste of the program and it never expires.    So, if you have some time and would like to get a fantastic drum program, then check out the demo:

https://www.rayzoon.com/index.html#free_version

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, ZincT said:

@Kurre

Did you try downloading the demo using the Jamstix 4 Manager? https://www.rayzoon.com/rayzoon_downloads.html 

I have full Jamstix with all expansions and the Jamstix Manager works reliably for me (Windows 10).  
I am running 4.5.0 Beta 1 which seems pretty reliable so far and the previous non-beta was also fine (you can enable beta installs in the Jamstix Manager under Install Options).

No, i just wanted a quick test. To install extra software to get a demo song is one more against.

Nor did i like that the drums listed all kits. It was confusing. I only want to see the kits that exists as samples and can be chosen.

It was stable on my win8.1 so that's not the problem.

And the pattern window? I sincerely hope that users of jamstix can produce a better view of that. It was pitiful in the startscreen.

Added. I like the song window where you put your intro, verse, chorus patterns to make a song.

Edited by Kurre
Addition

After using Jamstix off and on for about 5-6 years I have the basic functions down, but am still in the dark about anything in any real depth.  I'd love to see Ralph do some in depth tutorials.  I think if he could ease the learning curve he would find this program would be more popular.

3 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

It's my favorite drum software as it's designed to work like a real drummer - it will only play what a real drummer can play - 2 arms and 2 feet.

Exactly. And my fav also for this reason. 

One other major reason that I will mention is the feel. I couldn't find another drum program that can capture the feel that I was looking for. It's a type of push/pull that constantly goes on throughout the song. This is the only drum program I play with, instead of following it. It's not locked to a midi grid. It flows! Like a real drummer!

4 hours ago, simon said:

the steep/vertical learning curve

Yes, it does have a learning curve.

What I have gathered from using the program is that to get the "feel and flow" I mentioned above, takes lots of different parameters that interact with each other, and sometimes are difficult to understand just by looking at them and playing around with them. I had to sit with the manual for several (read many times) go-throughs with the program open, read what a parameter did, tried it, and was then able to understand how it all worked. 

4 hours ago, simon said:

it has lots of potential locked away, deep within it.

That it does. I use it and love it, but I have only scratched the surface with it.

It's drum samples are not great

I do use the samples from the program (not all the time). When I do use the sample that come with it, I don't use much, if any, of the processing that comes with it. I use outboard stuff. It has a very unique sound that I like. My fav is the Bonham kit. They call it the Bonzo Kit.

This is not like any other drum program so it will take some time to understand how to use it, but if you want a program that can emulate a huge amount of styles and drummers, then Jamstix is the way to go. 

Well said. Once you get a grip on how to work the parameters, then switch to a different drummer (keeping the same parameters) and you now have a whole new style!! Turns the song that your working on into something you never even thought about. And that inspiration is priceless. May not be the style/drummer you want, but then you begin to realize that this program is very close to a real drummer. (Nah, go back to playing what you was before!)

It's a drummer, it will be difficult! You just won't have to feed it or buy it beer!!

Or worry about it being on time....
Or it sleeping over cause they couldn't drive home...
Or helping them carry all that bs into the studio....
Or.....

:) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grem said:

It's a drummer, it will be difficult! You just won't have to feed it or buy it beer!!

Or worry about it being on time....
Or it sleeping over cause they couldn't drive home...
Or helping them carry all that bs into the studio....
Or.....

Me thinks you don't like real drummers ;)

Jamstix is one of those programs you didn't know you needed to have! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

Me thinks you don't like real drummers ;)

actually, I know about these "issues" because I am a wannabedrummer! I started my music journey as a drummer. Have filled in as a drummer from time to time. That's why I am so particular about my drums in my songs. If you ain't got rockn' drums in your song, you aint got... 

• Haha 1