Cakewalk Sonar Backstage Pass BETA Updated to 2024.4

cclarry

Whether people like it or not. The general consensus is that anything before an official release is beta! So they can call it whatever they want, but they cant stop people from calling it beta!

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Posted (edited)

"It's not a beta"

I never said that, I'm only repeating what some dude said,

and there is far to much jibba jabba in this thread.

Edited by Heath Row
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Last I saw he was calling it "feature complete."

From Wankipedia:

"A feature-complete (FC) version of a piece of software has all of its planned or primary features implemented but is not yet final due to bugs, performance or stability issues. This occurs at the end of alpha testing in development.."

A software project can be 'feature complete' and still be a beta. The term just means that they don't plan on adding new features.

A 'release candidate' is one that is viewed as ready for release - it may still have known issues / bugs that they don't plan to address for that release.
The purpose of a release candidate depends on the developer/company.  It can be to try and catch/fix any show stopper issues before it's actually released or it may be the final release and they're just waiting for the release date or on the rest of the team (packaging, marketing, etc.) to catch up.

I was a developer with a commercial software company before it died in the 2009 market crash and have also beta tested for some major software companies. One of the companies I beta tested for (not Cakewalk) had ambitious development schedules and would announce release dates early in the project along with constant promotion (Coming Dec 15 it's XXXYYZZ27! The software that does everything better!). AND they always released on the release date regardless of how many bugs or how dysfunctional the software was.  They were more afraid of their stock taking a hit because they missed a release date than of customer dissatisfaction - which is why I stopped beta testing for them and stopped buying their products.
So I find it refreshing that the Bakers seem to be more concerned with getting things right than getting things out fast.
My 2 cents - YMMV.

Edited by TheSteven
grammar tweaks
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

So you sprang for the Membership, has it been otherwise beneficial? 

I'm a hobbyist so not really....for me.  But I'm sure for others it might be.
I got 50% off so I felt $7.50 a month to get Sonar was a good deal until
I see how much the Perpetual License is...

41 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I'm a hobbyist so not really....for me.  But I'm sure for others it might be.
I got 50% off so I felt $7.50 a month to get Sonar was a good deal until
I see how much the Perpetual License is...

I could see it at 7.50/month,maybe, you must know someone, haha. I'm a pro but I haven't quite looked into the whole idea yet, so any feedback you have would be valuable to me, thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

I could see it at 7.50/month,maybe, you must know someone, haha. I'm a pro but I haven't quite looked into the whole idea yet, so any feedback you have would be valuable to me, thanks. 

I'd say Sonar is worth the price...and you get a platform to release your music on...so
it's a pretty good option IMO....YMMV

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

I'd say Sonar is worth the price...and you get a platform to release your music on...so
it's a pretty good option IMO....YMMV

Yeah, I never really thought about the platform to release the music, I release stuff to all digital outlets, and of course the streaming royalties are miniscule to say the least, since I ain't Taylor Swift....

• Haha 3

On 4/29/2024 at 4:29 PM, jesse g said:

Thanks Larry.

I've been using Studio Once 6.6 so much now, I forgot CbB was still pushing out updates.   LOL  🤣

When Sonar was looking like it was going under I panicked and got Studio One, even did one update on it--have never gotten used to it--for whatever reason, things just don't "work" for me, from routing to clicking behavior, etc. No work flow comfort there. How did you get used to it? any tips for a cakewalk user since 1995 or so? I'm up to version 5 of S1, but have only really used it for the "mastering" section and exporting DDP files for CD duplication, which I find very helpful. I'd love to know how to overcome my brain lock on S1, because I'm getting tired of how so many manufacturers  (control surfaces, for example) don't make their products compabile with Cakewalk.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I think I heard TS was making 13-million per show.

Motley Crew made a couple hundred million for the "Stadium Tour".

No money in making records... but some tours/merch are doing well.  🤪

Taylor and a few others are making money--surely not from records...and Bruno Mars definitely needs the money--up to his eyeballs in gambling debts, poor soul....

• Sad 2

On March 28 Noel said this:

Yes there are plans to have purchase options outside of backstage pass which was intended to be the quickest way to get it right now.”

You’d think that some here, who post more than I do, would notice stuff like this. 
It’s actually pretty easy to “fact check”. Find one of Noel’s posts and check out his “activity”. He has made similar statements more than once. Admittedly he does not have the “last word” but he’s a whole lot closer to the powers that be than most; eh?

I guess what I’m trying to say is; keep your “feet” out of your mouth. 

In the coffee house you can “s” post as much as you like. Here? Try to stay relevant to the topic…

t

4 hours ago, pwal³ said:

if they even offer this, nobody's said as much

I suggest you check Noel’s profile, specifically his activity. Maybe then you’ll get your facts straight. 

t

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

I suggest you check Noel’s profile, specifically his activity. Maybe then you’ll get your facts straight. 

t

Yep, let's see what the bandlab announce 👍

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 2:56 PM, Dave Maffris said:

When Sonar was looking like it was going under I panicked and got Studio One, even did one update on it--have never gotten used to it--for whatever reason, things just don't "work" for me, from routing to clicking behavior, etc. No work flow comfort there. How did you get used to it? 

Dave,

I 've been using Sonar since 2.2 and loved it, but I need to work better in my DAW and that's when I decided to go to Studio One 6.  I didn't bail on CbB, I just found another DAW that meets my needs better;  I jut don't use it as often

I use Hardware when I mix and  Sonar or CbB use of External Insert  is what made me go to Studio One, AND the drag and drop for nearly everything in Studio One is incredible.  You would be surprised to find out that there are a great number of CbB members who use Studio One as their Main DAW.

For mixing, I may use my WA stereo Bus Comp or any one of my 3 stereo compressors for that matter.  When I add them to the external Effects rack in CbB, I can ONLY add a stereo pair OR a mono pair, but I can't add both.   So If I want to use a Stereo Comp on the master bus,  and then on the next take of a Vocal use the  Mono Left side of that Compressor, I can't because you have to remove the Stereo pair to add just the Mono left channel in CbB, and this is ridiculous. With Studio One, I can add a Hardware Stereo processor and then also add its  Left Mono and Right  Mono channels as well.   CbB will not allow me to do this at all, You will have to remove the Stereo Compressor to add the left channel or right channel only because CbB thinks it is currently being used.

Pipeline XT Use with Hardware

The routing is easy, similar to CbB but it's better.  I drop and FX on a channel's send and it immediately creates a Bus for it

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, jesse g said:

Dave,

I 've been using Sonar since 2.2 and loved it, but I need to work better in my DAW and that's when I decided to go to Studio One 6.  I didn't bail on CbB, I just found another DAW that meets my needs better;  I jut don't use it as often

I use Hardware when I mix and  Sonar or CbB use of External Insert  is what made me go to Studio One, AND the drag and drop for nearly everything in Studio One is incredible.  You would be surprised to find out that there are a great number of CbB members who use Studio One as their Main DAW.

For mixing, I may use my WA stereo Bus Comp or any one of my 3 stereo compressors for that matter.  When I add them to the external Effects rack in CbB, I can ONLY add a stereo pair OR a mono pair, but I can't add both.   So If I want to use a Stereo Comp on the master bus,  and then on the next take of a Vocal use the  Mono Left side of that Compressor, I can't because you have to remove the Stereo pair to add just the Mono left channel in CbB, and this is ridiculous. With Studio One, I can add a Hardware Stereo processor and then also add its  Left Mono and Right  Mono channels as well.   CbB will not allow me to do this at all, You will have to remove the Stereo Compressor to add the left channel or right channel only because CbB thinks it is currently being used.

Pipeline XT Use with Hardware

The routing is easy, similar to CbB but it's better.  I drop and FX on a channel's send and it immediately creates a Bus for it

I'm gonna watch these videos, but on the surface it sounds like we have completely different workflow/styles. I do not use any outboard hardware rack gear anymore, and use MIDI for my keys and virtual instruments. I do, however, do a bit of live tracking when I produce for other artists, such as singer/songwriters, etc. Even my drum kit in my studio is a digital kit. So that partially explains why I find Studio One so perplexing, and CbB (and it's predecessors) so "easy" and simple. I do most everything "in the box" these days, Izotope being my main effects suite, for example. But I am going to pour over these vids and thanks so much for sending them, because I need to learn more (I'm only 73 and still have something left in the tank) and perhaps I will eventually migrate more fully into S1. I do like the idea of the automatic bus creation...I still have some brain lock when it comes to understanding the S1 console--I'm so used to ProChannel that anything else seems weird to me. Thanks again.

Edited by Dave Maffris
  • Like 2