New Fallout TV Series

I know there are a few fans of the Fallout game franchise 'round these parts.

Amazon Prime Video just release the Fallout series. Season 1 is 8 episodes.

Season 2 has already been funded, but not yet approved by Amazon yet, so I have read.

I binge watched the entire season. It is absolutely fantastic. I couldn't stop watching. There were a lot of bad pre-reviews based on the teaser trailers. They were all wrong. There is no woke, political, or religious content of any kind. It is strictly Fallout lore.

They used a lot of the music from the game and added more and it all fits perfectly.

For those who don't know about the game, it's a massive open world game that could take years to play. It's based on what's left of humanity after a nuclear war. It takes place in the future but the music, cars, houses, clothing, and setting looks like it's from the 1950's. The company that owns the game decided to make a TV series out of it.

Anyway, it just came out a few days ago and I thought I'd mention it. It's really good, especially the soundtrack.

• Like 1

I'm on the third or fourth episode, the production values are fantastic, they got the universe so well, but I'm finding the characters empty and the plot simple and very slow

Having said that, I'm sure I'll watch the whole season if only to find out what the cliff hanger is

• Like 1

I was a fan of the video game ("game" singular, since FO4 was the only one I liked) and am looking forward to seeing the adaptation.

But not enough to give Amazon permission to dip into my checking account every month for all eternity. Some will say "just sign up for the free trial and then cancel". Nah, I am still scarred by my AOL experience 30 years ago. No corporate entity is getting my routing number ever again.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Finished it last night. As my friend @Fleer says. Pretty pretty good. I'm not sure I'll invest more time any other seasons if they become available as they will likely just be more of the same.

On 4/13/2024 at 4:47 PM, bitflipper said:

I was a fan of the video game ("game" singular, since FO4 was the only one I liked) and am looking forward to seeing the adaptation.

But not enough to give Amazon permission to dip into my checking account every month for all eternity. Some will say "just sign up for the free trial and then cancel". Nah, I am still scarred by my AOL experience 30 years ago. No corporate entity is getting my routing number ever again.

I like the story and game play in 3 and New Vegas more than 4. I really like the settlement building aspect of 4. 9 years later and people are still putting out settlement building videos almost daily on youtube. I spent many hours during the winter months in the Midwest stuck inside doing settlement building. There are very limited mods on the PS4 that unlock almost everything in the game world to build with. PS4 won't let you use custom scripts or graphics, but there is more than you'll ever need in the game. 

I played 3 and NV on PS3. It was an abomination. It literally crashed every 3 minutes. Only a few years ago I got a video card powerful enough to run them on my PC. Modders converted everything to 4K and released patches to fix all the bugs. For the first time since they came out I was finally able to play them, with all the add-ons, all the way through and not a single crash.

Fwiw, they are offering the Virtual Workshop for free on PS4 now. Don't know when that started or when it will end, but I just saw it last night. Normally they want money for it.

As for not wanting Prime, yeah I get it. I got rid of all my subscriptions including XM. I need Prime for work, but the only subscription I have now is YouTube Premium. I got tired of the ads and I don't like using adblockers. It comes with YouTube Music which blows the 3 or 4 stations I listened to on XM out of the water. I really like how I can download everything on my cell and listen to it without using up my cell data.

But this new TV series is really good. It takes you to their world like the game does and doesn't bring any modern topic crap in to it, so far. I really hope they do a season 2.

9 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

3 and New Vegas

these are certainly the best of the fps style, but i'm still a huge fan of the earlier 1/2/tactics, they were a breath of fresh air in the rpg world at the time

8 hours ago, pwal³ said:

that was only the recent "fallout 76" the previous games were much better and not subscription

Fallout 1st is a sub , not 76.  I play it everyday.  Te sub price is no value at all unlike other developers where a sub allows you to play different games.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 1:47 PM, bitflipper said:

People are ditching Prime.  In the sub pandemic era many subs have almost doubled.  Amazon now wants you to pay more for commercial free content.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

People are ditching Prime.  In the sub pandemic era many subs have almost doubled.  Amazon now wants you to pay more for commercial free content.

I've had Prime since Day 1 (2006?), when they comp'd me the first year. I use in mostly for shipping and Amazon Music. I also agreed to the 1,99 €/month fee for commercial-free Video, but I use Prime Video the least of all of my streaming apps. Here in France, there are too many movies that are only offered with French dubbing of the original audio, without even French subtitles. If Prime Video was the only reason I sub'd Prime, I'd drop it in a heartbeat.

So far since the commercial thing started with Prime, the commercials have been at the beginning of the movie. There haven't been any commercial breaks during a movie. I always see 2 short commercials before the movie starts, then they are uninterrupted. If they insist on commercials, this is the way to do it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

So far since the commercial thing started with Prime, the commercials have been at the beginning of the movie. There haven't been any commercial breaks during a movie. I always see 2 short commercials before the movie starts, then they are uninterrupted. If they insist on commercials, this is the way to do it. 

I'll wager that fast-forwarding is disabled while the commercials play.

Also, are the "ads" for other movies/series still there, in addition to the new commercials? At least you can skip those teasers.

Edited by John Maar

2 hours ago, John Maar said:

I'll wager that fast-forwarding is disabled while the commercials play.

Also, are the "ads" for other movies/series still there, in addition to the new commercials? At least you can skip those teasers.

I didn't try to skip them so I don't know, but they roll before the movie even starts. You pick the movie, click play, 2 commercials play, and then the movie starts with no other commercials. I'm OK with that. If they rolled during the movie that would suck.

Other streaming services do this too. You can get the service cheap with ads, they roll before the movie starts, then you watch uninterrupted. Or you can pay a lot more for the service and get no commercials.