Sonar pop up screen

Here is my story, I get to the gig Friday and Cakewalk has the new splash screen popping up. This locks out cakewalk as well as my laptop. I have to go to ALT + Ctr+delete to get to device manager to close cakewalk. So no DAW for the job. Lucky the venue had a public wifi and I logged on and restarted cakewalk. I had no idea why this happened. I thought may be a one time thing. The next day I had two gigs booked. One in the morning and one in the evening. Nether venue has public wifi. I get to the morning gig and guess what the *****ing splash screen popped up and locked up my laptop. I made a mad dash back to my house which was 10 minutes away and logged on to wifi and got cakewalk opened. I left the laptop running with cakewalk running and dove back to the gig. After the gig I was disusing the situation with a vendor who was at the gig and she has a credit card reader that requires wifi to operate. She showed me how to make a cell phone a hot spot. I used this hotspot at my evening gig and it worked. I am very disappointed in cakewalk management just dumping this problem on there users with no warning. I would guess there are others with the same issue.

Now I have a second laptop that I also have cakewalk on. This laptop is always on line so I took it off line to see if the splash screen has the same issue. Yes the splash screen popped up BUT it has timer at the bottom of the splash screen that after x amount of time goes by the screen will auto close.  The fact that my first laptop does not have a counter on the splash is an issue. There should be a update to fix this bomb the cakewalk has created. Studio One 6 is starting to look good to me!

• Sad 2

I am afraid that this situation with taking so long to release the new Sonar along with the pop up screen is starting to leave a bad taste in our mouths towards an otherwise wonderful relationship with CbB!!! Glad you got sorted out with the wifi on your phone. I am in an area in Macon, Ga. where there is only one internet company available in our neighborhood and they ruined the 10 year relationship we had with them. Long story!!

Anyway, we have been on cellphone hotspot for about 5 years. Slow but solid for huge files.

PLEASE, CBB!!! Stop shooting yourself in the foot and give us some definitive info on Sonars progress AND GET RID OF THIS GOD AWFUL POPUP!!!!!

With all due respect and affection!!!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

Please do the right thing, it's evident that this popup is only a problem, release an urgent fix update to CbB for remove it. It's the only logical solution to solve this mess...

Edited by Ronny.G
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

As a professional user of Cakewalk in its beginnings until Sonar and in this last stage with Bandlab,

I do not understand this suicidal step (in my opinion) of the program developers.

As a veteran user of a software that I have also publicly supported unconditionally, I think that giving us a pop up screen with which we have to wait 20 seconds to start working is not the best way to invite us to continue with your next paid software update that is announced in that notification.

I really see it as an insult to all of us who have relied on this software over the years.

I would like to be understood,

I have always admired the efficiency, simplicity and robustness with which I have worked with Cakewalk/sonar/Bandlab as well as with their innovations that have later been incorporated into other competing DAWs.

But the reality in 2024 is very different, there are many DAWs that offer many innovations and possibilities in the workflow, dsp, etc... that far exceed what this software and its next paid update offer so far. .

Cakewalk has not had many users in my opinion, but it has had LOYAL USERS.

Make loyal users go through:

1.- Impossibility of being registered offline.

2.- Need to authorize online registration from time to time.

3.- Show a pop up screen and wait 20 seconds until you can start working.

All this for being loyal to a software that also stops being updated and that will soon become obsolete (due to how quickly the world of software in general and the musical world in particular is progressing), in my opinion, It does not give us the place that belongs to us

I hope and wish that the software team will reconsider (just as the waves audio team did at the time) in the face of this wrong path, which will only make many users abandon a software that may have a great future, but a  market strategy wrong (in my opinion).

Thank you for reading, I hope I haven't offended anyone and please forgive my English.

Edited by FJ Lamela
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2024 at 12:22 PM, Sergio Miranda said:

Solution to disable the "new" Sonar splash screen: reinstall a previous version of Cakewalk.
Is it recommended? No.
Does it solve the problem? Yes.

OK I was game. So last night I set up my retired Office computer which has been sitting since November. It has the last release of Cakewalk installed from October. It also has a Backup of the Download folder from November 2022 full of Cakewalk installers. There was also a few installers still in the regular Download folder.  I didn't plug in the LAN cable so it is offline. 

I fired up Cakewalk and got the offending splash screen. You can see it says no internet and is counting down. But it opened as expected. 

Screenshot(617).thumb.png.d6d58c5ae89e08cc3fd7240524e10a7d.png

Ok so lets try this revert to older version that a few are claiming will work. Here's the first attempt ( we are still off line remember) this is the message I got when I tried any of the bottom 3 installers. 

Screenshot(621).png.86dfe808e22a6d90a3429c68d1b94bf1.png

This is the message I got when I tried the top few. 

Screenshot(622).png.3204aea302e51a5c4e2c9cd364b3716e.png

I searched the computer which has had Cakewalk installed since 2018 and found a few older installers. 

I found one that worked but only got so far-  I got this screen another dead end. 

Screenshot(624).png.66698f59ed603fdef5ce6b984337bd09.png

So I fished around for the LAN cable and plugged it in and tried again, Now I get this message. 

Screenshot(625).png.6f11e87f4945038e8c28fcfd43839f79.png

Then I got this screen--- read what it say's-- " This Wizard will download and install the latest version of Cakewalk" No option to not let it do this. 

So I am finding it hard to believe this Myth that you can install and activate older versions. I had at least 10 ranging over the last 5-6 years and none of them work. On line or Off line. 

Screenshot (626).png

My conclusion is

if you are off line the installer stops working at a certain point.

If you are on line it will install the newest version. 

I even tried totally uninstalling Cakewalk and starting over , both off line and on line. 

I followed the link Mr Mirando posted to the product release page but there is no installers posted there. Just the rollback, and when you try and use a rollback you get the same error messages as above. Another dead end. 

Please advise of your steps you took to re install older versions.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 5

Seeing as how I had fired up the old computer I started looking to see if anything important should be copied from it for future. I found it had a 4th drive that was not connected so in that I found this. Screenshot(652).png.e1b514379c66de6e0363854ac9da6f41.png

I'm on line now and the latest version is still installed and activated. I'm also logged into Bandlab. So the install ran normally and odd thing was the release notes opened and they are for the latest version. I will post that because this contains what we were told about offline activations as well as that older version cannot be activated. 

Screenshot(651).thumb.png.50a273d031607b8dcfcf95b4fe1b04b7.png

So I opened Cakewalk and got the warning about activation as well as proof that I had actually finally succeeded in installing an older version.

Screenshot(655).thumb.png.1fbc0c48dae7b613ea43d0204ee494b8.png

But this is once again a dead end because it will not activate. I am totally logged into this forum and to Bandlab. I even opened Google password manager to double check my user name and password all attempts to use those failed. So more proof that the developers are not lying to us and older versions are now history. 

So if you are going to spread misinformation please supply proof !

• Like 4

My conclusion is

I even tried totally uninstalling Cakewalk and starting over , both off line and on line. 

so @John Vere, you're saying you broke the Internet? LOL 😉 

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

My conclusion is

If you are on line it will install the newest version

Thanks for take your time for all these tests.

What I can confirm for sure to all (as you know I'm an always offline user), is that it's not possible to activate anymore and older version (no matter if online or offline). The activation server was changed. You have only the option to install and activate the newest version. I don't think this is a big problem. Maybe some user has some new bug introduced with this newer version but in my experience it's stable (as before naturally...CbB has still some problems to fix...) and it's a little better than the 2022.11, it has a lot of small fixes and also it still works on every windows, so why not use it... it's pretty much the 2022.11 but with a lot of fixes.

Even this newest version will have soon the offline activation option. Trust me, the bakers are working on this.

However this post is about Sonar popup screen, that is a different matter. Add this was a "tragic" decision! It's impossible that you have to wait everytime you start CbB when you are offline. Also from what I read it causes a lot of different problems.

The solution is not try to find a procedure to activate an older version, but ask to remove this popup nonsense from the latest version. Really, like I said it's a very bad decision to include this nag screen without the possibility after some time of disable it. This is my opinion.

Edited by Ronny.G
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

Seeing as how I had fired up the old computer I started looking to see if anything important should be copied from it for future. I found it had a 4th drive that was not connected so in that I found this. Screenshot(652).png.e1b514379c66de6e0363854ac9da6f41.png

I'm on line now and the latest version is still installed and activated. I'm also logged into Bandlab. So the install ran normally and odd thing was the release notes opened and they are for the latest version. I will post that because this contains what we were told about offline activations as well as that older version cannot be activated. 

Screenshot(651).thumb.png.50a273d031607b8dcfcf95b4fe1b04b7.png

So I opened Cakewalk and got the warning about activation as well as proof that I had actually finally succeeded in installing an older version.

Screenshot(655).thumb.png.1fbc0c48dae7b613ea43d0204ee494b8.png

But this is once again a dead end because it will not activate. I am totally logged into this forum and to Bandlab. I even opened Google password manager to double check my user name and password all attempts to use those failed. So more proof that the developers are not lying to us and older versions are now history. 

So if you are going to spread misinformation please supply proof !

Thank you for taking the time to confirm what I posted above.

J

• Like 1

I concur with F.J.s post! I have been a dedicated Cakewalk user since 8.5! I have preached the gospel of Cake ever since. They even used my review of the Adaptive Limiter in their advertising for said product!

I have a close friend of mine who recently built a hot rod computer last year! He was so proud and bragged about how fast he could start Cakewalk and get to work!

Now, he spent all that money and time in order to be stopped and waiting on this miserable popup screen to get to work! He is right now as we speak pushing all his projects in to Studio 1.

It's going to be hard for me to convince people that Cake is a viable DAW with all of this messiness going on right now.

Things are going to have to change before I can recommend Cakewalk to anyone now! 

This is a sad time for me. I have not missed one upgrade since 8.5! Now I am disenheartened by what I see happening and have been made to feel as a devoted customer that I don't count anymore! I hope to stay with Sonar when it finally arrives but it sure would be nice to have a good clean experience with CbB in the meantime!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

OK I was game. So last night I set up my retired Office computer which has been sitting since November. It has the last release of Cakewalk installed from October. It also has a Backup of the Download folder from November 2022 full of Cakewalk installers. There was also a few installers still in the regular Download folder.  I didn't plug in the LAN cable so it is offline. 

I fired up Cakewalk and got the offending splash screen. You can see it says no internet and is counting down. But it opened as expected. 

Screenshot(617).thumb.png.d6d58c5ae89e08cc3fd7240524e10a7d.png

Ok so lets try this revert to older version that a few are claiming will work. Here's the first attempt ( we are still off line remember) this is the message I got when I tried any of the bottom 3 installers. 

Screenshot(621).png.86dfe808e22a6d90a3429c68d1b94bf1.png

This is the message I got when I tried the top few. 

Screenshot(622).png.3204aea302e51a5c4e2c9cd364b3716e.png

I searched the computer which has had Cakewalk installed since 2018 and found a few older installers. 

I found one that worked but only got so far-  I got this screen another dead end. 

Screenshot(624).png.66698f59ed603fdef5ce6b984337bd09.png

So I fished around for the LAN cable and plugged it in and tried again, Now I get this message. 

Screenshot(625).png.6f11e87f4945038e8c28fcfd43839f79.png

Then I got this screen--- read what it say's-- " This Wizard will download and install the latest version of Cakewalk" No option to not let it do this. 

So I am finding it hard to believe this Myth that you can install and activate older versions. I had at least 10 ranging over the last 5-6 years and none of them work. On line or Off line. 

Screenshot (626).png

My conclusion is

I followed the link Mr Mirando posted to the product release page but there is no installers posted there. Just the rollback, and when you try and use a rollback you get the same error messages as above. Another dead end. 

Please advise of your steps you took to re install older versions.  

I'm not sure I understand correctly, why don't you remove/uninstall the latest version from your computer and try to install a FULL version of an older release, I see you there messing around with 'update' exe's, 50mb or so, and of course they will want to see something they can update, again I'm not sure I understand what you are doing with the 'update' exe's. ?

• Like 1

With regards to the popup dodad, I personally don't don't think it should be removed, but another added at the end, when you go to exit out you get hit with another popup just in case you have forgotten the firsts message whilst working away, no? I think that would be a good idea.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, heath row said:

With regards to the popup dodad, I personally don't don't think it should be removed, but another added at the end, when you go to exit out you get hit with another popup just in case you have forgotten the firsts message whilst working away, no? I think that would be a good idea.

You have a great sense of humor, but beyond the joke, pop up screen are a nuisance

If you must have a popup, why not a tab to click to choose not to see the popup and continue on to work!

Why slow my workflow for almost half a minute to see info that we have known for almost a year? I know a half a minute is sort of ridiculous to complain about but when you are trying to focus intently on your work the last thing you want is a distraction that irritates you. As suggested, put the popup at the closing of the project!

I think these two suggestions are viable.

The silence from the developers is deafening! Where are you,  Noel? Or anyone! At least let us know you are listening and if you intend to do something about this mess!!

• Like 2

The 20 sec. or so delay isn't really bothering me that much on the first start up. My pc is shut down after I finish working . It actually allows a little time for everything to get booted up. But ..  after recording a lot of takes , I normally shut down CbB to free up some ram. Now waiting "again" when I resume my daw work is getting annoying.

Not being able to open the program "at all" because of screen resolution , or whatever else is happening with a lot of offline laptop users ..   would Really get me going. 

In my opinion that in itself should prompt a resolution.   ms

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, heath row said:

I'm not sure I understand correctly, why don't you remove/uninstall the latest version from your computer and try to install a FULL version of an older release, I see you there messing around with 'update' exe's, 50mb or so, and of course they will want to see something they can update, again I'm not sure I understand what you are doing with the 'update' exe's. ?

Didn’t you read my second post? I found a full installer. I successfully installed it. You cannot activate it.

Anyone claims otherwise needs to describe in detail how you managed to activate the older version.  Myself I think you are  just spreading miss information.

And that’s enough said about that.The solution is in the hands of the developers. Not in having to hack Cakewalk. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2