Fire

Glenn Stanton

long ago, i bought a Fostex 4-track recorder (like their first model...) and of course after getting it all connected, and doing some day drinking, i figured i'd give it a work out. recording like 10 tracks w/ bouncing etc. so to say that the original version of this was "grunge" (before grunge was a popular thing), would be, erm, a disservice to grunge... but my brother found it and liked it and managed (for live purposes) to turn into something decent because he is an extraordinary keyboardist (although he liked my big piano slides and 8th note bopping - not sure why, maybe it's just rock and roll)

so now fast forward 40 years... trying to keep the arrangement somewhat similar, basically just a fun bit of innuendo and steady beats...

BPM 128
Key A

c'mon and take me dancing darlin'
underneath this pale moonlight
the way you hold me and squeeze me
i can feel the temperature rise
us, baby
i can see the fire in your eyes
can you feel this heat between us?

oh, this must be the fire
yeah, this must be the fire

c'mon and take my lovin' baby
slowly dance me through the night
the way you touch me and kiss me
i can feel these flames ignite
us, baby
i can see the fire in your eyes

yeah, this must be the fire

[solo]

c'mon and take me dancing darlin'
underneath this pale moonlight
the way you touch me and kiss me
i can feel these flames ignite
us, baby
i see the fire in your eyes

this must be the fire
yeah! this must be the fire

oh, let's take this higher
c'mon and light my fire
c'mon and feed the fire
yeah, do you feel the fire

fire!
yeah! this must be the fire

-----------------------------------

besides which, how many times can you yell fire in a dance club? LOL 🙂

instruments:

drums, bass, acoustic guitar, 2x electric guitars, solo guitar, piano, e. piano, organ, synth (that sound like an excess reverb or thin organ for a pseudo pad on breaks), horns (2x trumpet, sax, trombone), lead vocal and 2x backing vocals.

the horns are my new toy "session horns" and i haven't played much with them yet, but i found an interesting riff which i felt good about and used that during intros and on the end... 

the "burning with desire" thingie during the drums & bass break is something the backup vocals came up with... not part of the original...

comments welcome.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
some more notes
  • Like 3

Sounds like a classic Glenn. Great energy thru the entire song ! I Loved the fuzzy lead guitar, and the backing choir vocals They came in inthe perfect spot and weren't overused. Very impressive production.   Loved it ..  mark

• Like 1