Gibson Amps returns!

TheSteven

Gibson has their nostalgia kicks, but the market they need to appeal to only have grandparents who would remember these. Weird tidbit on the wiki page for the originals... "according to Gibson's records 204 were sold in 1961." As these cost more than a HELIX Floor, it does baffle me about the price point as well.

• Haha 1

Price isn't that surprising given the market.  Pretty standard pricing for a made in the USA hand wired amp that has a tube driven tremolo and reverb with built in power scaling 

They certainly could have done an overseas job here, but when you build amps in CA the price tends to be top of the market.

• Like 3

I could NOT build either of these amps and pay my bills at this price point. Flipping burgers at $20 an hour would be a “huge” raise in pay…

23 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

build amps in CA the price tends to be top of the market.

And even “top of the market” is pretty much “a labor of love”!

t

• Like 2

These don't look bad. In fact, they look pretty damn good!

And as much as I agree with everyone about Gibson BS, I would have to point out Gibby did have some great amps back in the day. And since their current business model includes making profits from products introduced well over 50+yrs ago, this makes perfect sense. And if your going to re-release amps made back then, and you already have boutique amp makers on your payroll....

As far as the amps... I don't see me going out and buying one. But I can tell you they are nice and worthy of the price.  Thanks TheSteven for posting the videos. I will be looking at these some more. 

• Like 1