PSA: Amazon has become a dumping ground for cheap Chinese crap

bitflipper

49 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I've spent the last four days over-researching laptops, ssd upgrades, ram upgrades. I sleuthed Amazon, B&H, and Best Buy.

I ended up buying the laptop, memory stick, and ssd from B&H.

I needed pry tools and small screwdrivers for the opening of the laptop. Bought those on Amazon for $9.98.

Cheap crap has its place, and that would be Amazon.

Um, ever try Newegg?   I've definitely had my best luck with them!

https://www.newegg.com/

• Great Idea 1

On 1/14/2024 at 7:01 PM, craigb said:

Um, ever try Newegg?   I've definitely had my best luck with them!

https://www.newegg.com/

Not since I got burned by their horribly short return policy, when a third-party vendor hosted by Newegg, on Newegg's site, sent me a used open box SSD which was advertised as new.

Newegg claimed their 14 day return policy began on the day the item shipped, not the day I received the item. So any shipping delays that occur (INCLUDING WEATHER RELATED) eat into your Return time policy.

So, no, not Newegg, not ever again.

Edited by PhonoBrainer

Oooof. Did you know you can get a Shure Beta91A brand new for ~$90 on ebay from about 20 vendors all in China. Legit retail price is $249.  I wonder if those ebay 91A's are actual Shure products? 🙂 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Oooof. Did you know you can get a Shure Beta91A brand new for ~$90 on ebay from about 20 vendors all in China. Legit retail price is $249.  I wonder if those ebay 91A's are actual Shure products? 🙂 

I wouldn't be too sure! 😁

• Great Idea 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:35 PM, Rain said:

I was looking for a French translation of a book by Nietzsche

Good Lord!  I'm impressed.  And to think I was proud of myself for reading the Cliff notes to Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:38 PM, bitflipper said:

Too expensive. I have exactly $193.01 to spend.

I started with $200 but downloaded an MP3 album for $6.99. A symphonic metal band from Sweden featuring four girl singers that does epic covers of 80's-era American Top 40 hits. Couldn't resist.

I'd like to know the link on that.  I might have to do the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jude77 said:

Good Lord!  I'm impressed.  And to think I was proud of myself for reading the Cliff notes to Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

I have 4 editions/translations of that one. The Nietzsche collection is the only part of my library that I brought with me when we moved down here. I usually take good care of my books but a few of them like this one have followed me everywhere for over 30 years, so they're in a very bad shape. It's great to be able to get inexpensive new copies from Amazon.

139332905_10158183052807582_4601610379720247291_n(1)(1).jpg.d4da617346d0eaef4109922b1c04ad25.jpg

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Almost reminds me of the Siberian group we hear at Christmas,  I've grown old of hearing.  This is a bit different with the lady voices.   I listened to parts of their other stuff and I like it.  I thought that stuff died 30 years ago.

A couple years ago my granddaughter took me to see Transiberian Orchestra as a Christmas present. I was looking forward to it more as just a fun outing with my granddaughter than anything else, since it was at a venue known for having the acoustics of an abandoned railway station.

But holy crap, was I in for a treat. It was a jaw-dropping performance by world-class players, great lighting and surprisingly intelligible sound. Featured a melodic Van der Graf generator, no less.

• Like 2

I see those little Chinese pickup trucks all over the Philippines, delivering everything from fish to concrete. I want one. But you can't buy them here. They are illegal. Sure, they're death traps. But cheap and seem to run forever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1