I Miss You Guys

"I'm an IT guy who gravitated to a DAW back in the mid-1980's!"

Every DAW user in the 80's became an IT guy whether they wanted to or not. Remember what it took to simply add a CD drive to a DOS machine? Or fiddling with DIP switches to configure the IRQ priority for your network and MIDI interfaces?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

"I'm an IT guy who gravitated to a DAW back in the mid-1980's!"

Every DAW user in the 80's became an IT guy whether they wanted to or not. Remember what it took to simply add a CD drive to a DOS machine? Or fiddling with DIP switches to configure the IRQ priority for your network and MIDI interfaces?

No kidding!  That was how I met Greg (Hendershott) while trying to get my expensive Turtle Beach sound card's General MIDI to work with Cakewalk v1.0!

52 minutes ago, craigb said:

expensive Turtle Beach sound card

I had a TB card also. It was later though. Still had an ISA interface!! The Pinnacle! It had a Kurzweil synth on it with upgradeable ram. It was a PITA to keep running. For some reason the IRQ kept switching on it's own. Oh, and the memory address had to be set manually. But when it worked, it worked great. Excellent converters on it. And it was 20bit too!!

Here is a SOS article on it when it came out.

I was an early adopter and can relate to all of these comments. Those were the days.

And of course there was the whole Atari ST phase. I think my first real software was something called Master Tracks Pro.  I remember I had to drive an hour to Toronto and pay $499 for a 3.5" disk. It worked extremely well and the computer came with a midi interface as standard equipment. I could even play multiplayer games over midi. Anyone remember midi maze?

And then everyone said the Atari was for amateurs and I had to go IBM if I was serious.  So there was PC, then XT, $500 for a math co processor and $900 for a 20 meg hard drive. I was a king. Until there was 386, 486, Pentium and onward through the fog. I was spending way more time getting the hardware to work than I was creating music on a computer.

About the only thing I've learned in 40 years is that if you sit on the sidelines you'll see most things come and go in short order. Sonar didn't. It evolved with the hardware and refuses to die.

• Like 2

a fun thread, brought me back to my early 90s foray into Opcode Vision. Wow, midi sequencing!!!

And apropos, from the Opcode Wikipedia page,

"In 1998, Opcode was bought by Gibson Guitar Corporation. Development on Opcode products ceased in 1999."

• Like 1

I had zero interest in computers until I realized that you could use them to record and mix audio. Naively enough, I thought that I would be able to get away without having to learn anything more than how to use the music software I had chosen (I guess I really was a Mac user at heart).

A couple of years later, I was editing .ini files, chasing IRQ conflicts and whatnot. I've always been thankful though, because all that stuff turned out to be very useful in my next job and allowed me to climb a few steps up the ladder.

So thank you Cakewalk, I suppose.

Edited by Rain

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2024 at 3:49 AM, Steve Patrick said:

Downloading guitar picks??  I don't think that's possible unless you have a 3D printer.

Yes Exactly! Downloading physical objects like guitar picks isn't possible in the traditional sense unless you have access to a 3D printer and the necessary design files. While it's common to download digital files such as music or images, physical objects like guitar picks require manufacturing and cannot be directly downloaded from the internet. If you're interested in obtaining guitar picks, you'll need to purchase them from a store or make them yourself using materials like plastic, metal, or wood.

Edited by Reaction Last
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Reaction Last said:

Yes Exactly! Downloading physical objects like guitar picks isn't possible in the traditional sense unless you have access to a 3D printer and the necessary design files. While it's common to download digital files such as music or images, physical objects like guitar picks require manufacturing and cannot be directly downloaded from the internet. If you're interested in obtaining guitar picks, you'll need to purchase them from a store or make them yourself using materials like plastic, metal, or wood.

image.png.a7101f3b8eb9ffcacf67ad1411c34fae.png