Considering Bitwig

Zo

Hi guyz, as a perpetual perfectionnist when it comes to workflow , i wanted something to make my way of finding ideas easier ....

Using my Keystep pro to make pattern (or maschine )  and the having a way to structurate ideas and laucnh different combinaison .

Live , i have it but the interface is just a pain .

Trying bitwig since few days , i'm really liking it , i'm facing stuff that are crazy (no easy scale mode in piano roll , no monitoring option for diff busses , no serious track manager , ect ..) but one thing i'm looking for and didn't find it (it's where i need ya help here) is the phase shift on tracks / clip , i'm layering 2 kiks here via the drum tracks and looking for simple thing as this  .... sure i can play with time of the sammple but sometime i need that on tracks (bass / kik relation ect ..)

where is it !!!! 

A quick search found an ancient (2014) post on KVR that said "The audio effect "tool" does this. The phase buttons for left and right are above the amplitude knob." Other hits also mentioned "Tool", so it seems that's the only way.

Edited by David Baay

Bitwig's engine is broken. Take an audio clip, edit it (cut it, slip it, resize it...), bounce it. The audio will not be on time with the original clip, by quite a lot. This is Windows 10, several users have reported it. I reported to Bitwig and they asked for a project file, even though the bug is repeatable. I went back to Reaper and didn't send them anything. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, David Baay said:

A quick search found an ancient (2014) post on KVR that said "The audio effect "tool" does this. The phase buttons for left and right are above the amplitude knob." Other hits also mentioned "Tool", so it seems that's the only way.

Yeah this is what i posted prior to your answer ;)

7 minutes ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Bitwig's engine is broken. Take an audio clip, edit it (cut it, slip it, resize it...), bounce it. The audio will not be on time with the original clip, by quite a lot. This is Windows 10, several users have reported it. I reported to Bitwig and they asked for a project file, even though the bug is repeatable. I went back to Reaper and didn't send them anything. 

Will have a look at this (editing is quite strange in this , yestruday i tried simply to mute a section of an audio clip , foudn out that i have to define a region frist and split it to be able to Alt+A)  , but i really take it like a scratch pad , giving all the limitation i encouter , post prod will be mostly in S1 as i see it  ....

I'm a pretty simple user but what finally sent me back to Ableton Live recently was the lack of retrospective recording and the overall layout somehow being less creatively inspiring than Live.

9 minutes ago, Craig N said:

I'm a pretty simple user but what finally sent me back to Ableton Live recently was the lack of retrospective recording and the overall layout somehow being less creatively inspiring than Live.

Strange , i have live suite (9)  and find it , meh , do you think the V11 brings a lot more enhacmenet , i don't need devices , ect ..

BUT LFO  is something i wanted , i don't find it in live 9 , is it introduced later ?

40 minutes ago, Zo said:

where is it !!!! 

Hi,

Have you tried the Time Shift tool for your use case? 

The Bitwig Discord is where Bitwiggers hangout for more questions like this https://discord.gg/zc6S6rza 

21 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Yea I found the opposite. I found  the side by side clip launcher to arranger really inspiring over Abletons Mixer style clip launcher. I guess it depends on what you are doing as to which features appeal either way.

Also Bitwig doesnt need retrospective recording baked in, thats the old constrained Ableton way of thinking. Bitwig's modular workflow  lets you put multiple devices in line on the same track and the MIDI chains through so put in something like Birds MIDI cap on a track and you have a much more useful and visual retrospective MIDI record implementation than Live.    

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I’m a staunch Bitwig lover, primarily because it’s the most creativity inspiring DAW I know. 

I know i was , like where the f Fleer at ? 

Tell me where the phase switch is lol and how you handle two listen buses one for headphoines and one  for mains , with each a diffe calibration plugin !

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, S Wats said:

Hi,

Have you tried the Time Shift tool for your use case? 

The Bitwig Discord is where Bitwiggers hangout for more questions like this https://discord.gg/zc6S6rza 

Yea I found the opposite. I found  the side by side clip launcher to arranger really inspiring over Abletons Mixer style clip launcher. I guess it depends on what you are doing as to which features appeal either way.

Also Bitwig doesnt need retrospective recording baked in, thats the old constrained Ableton way of thinking. Bitwig's modular workflow  lets you put multiple devices in line on the same track and the MIDI chains through so put in something like Birds MIDI cap on a track and you have a much more useful and visual retrospective MIDI record implementation than Live.    

I do think retrospective is a great thing , so many time i'm not producing but sound design (in pre prod phase) and i play something that becomes the lead theme for the track !!!

2 hours ago, Zo said:

Strange , i have live suite (9)  and find it , meh , do you think the V11 brings a lot more enhacmenet , i don't need devices , ect ..

BUT LFO  is something i wanted , i don't find it in live 9 , is it introduced later ?

Ableton Live 11 has LFO standard, I only got into Live with version 10 after coming from Reason then Reaper then FL Studio, and after upgrading to 11 jumped over to Bitwig before realising the drop in my creative output was due to Bitwig.

1 hour ago, S Wats said:

This requires the discipline to put a device like Birds MIDI cap on every new track or else. I am not that disciplined 🙂

• Like 1

I bought Bitwig. Have not got deep into it yet. So far, I don't particularly get the gist, but like @bitflipper a DAW is mostly a digital "tape recorder" albeit with potentially 100' high reels. 

Edited by Bapu
  • Haha 2

There are a lot of things about Bitwig that are insanely unintuitive.  For example, I don't think anyone who's ever used Bitwig has figured out how to do tap tempo on their own.  (Worse, it was not in the manual)

Even more annoying to me is that they don't have the ability to preview midi clips to the current track.  You can preview a midi clip but it will only go to a sine wave generator.  This is kind of useless when trying to preview drum clips because instead of getting drum sounds you get meaningless atonal notes (at least they are in the pocket),

Other than issues like those, it does a decent job of filling in the place in my workflow where Project 5 used to be.  There are a few other things I like, such as how they handle instrument and FX chains and the ability to have these taggable is a big plus.

• Like 4

One more thing Bitwig and I seem to have a disagreement on...

They seem to think a DAW should be a modular environment.  They are proud of every little component and modulator they add.

I want a DAW to make it easier to get compositions.  I think the main point of the DAW is to help me get compositions onto drive quickly and let my plugins worry about making sounds.  

• Like 5

If you are into Waves WUP then Bitwig is for you.   I avoid this DAW.  I have too many DAWs as it it. In long term it's an expensive DAW if you are one of those people who can't avoid paying upgrades.   I know the yada, yada, you don't have to buy the upgrade but who has that discipline? I don't.

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

If you are into Waves WUP then Bitwig is for you.   I avoid this DAW.  I have too many DAWs as it it. In long term it's an expensive DAW if you are one of those people who can't avoid paying upgrades.   I know the yada, yada, you don't have to buy the upgrade but who has that discipline? I don't.

They haven't given me anything since v4 that I wanted, so where's the discipline required?