Sonokinetic 12 Days of Christmas is UP

Brian Lawler

22 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

So Sono fanboys if you could only own one library which would it be?

If this is only regarding the phrase libs, then based on the ones I’ve used the most, so far: Sotto

Capriccio would be runner-up; Grosso a (very) distant third. 

That is really subjective, though. I mean, depending on what kind of music I end up writing this year, maybe I never use any of those libs at all, and Largo becomes my goto. 

I see all these libraries as the same beast in different clothes. None are better or worse than any other, and it totally depends on what you’re writing . 

13 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I love their Ostinato libraries. 

Their orchestral sample-based libraries are pretty good, too.

Orchestral Strings has a lovely sound and lots of articulations and setup flexibility. Ensemble Woodwinds offers the same. The both blend seamlessly with the phrase libs. 

I find them a bit resource intensive, though, and they wouldn’t be my first choice for quick work or sketching. Neither are they good enough to eclipse my other options; basically, they’re a nice additional color in the palette, with some unique features. And a really irritating GUI.

Edited by Amicus717
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Anyways, it’s Kontakt (Player) 7. 
I guess that version doesn’t require devs to pay NI much. That’s why we’re seeing more and more free Kontakt Player libs. 

I've thought this to myself for a while now. Way more free options lately for Kontakt Player 7 than any other version before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

I guess that version doesn’t require devs to pay NI much. That’s why we’re seeing more and more free Kontakt Player libs. 

I don't like Player libs, because you cannot install them offline (only with Native Access)! That's why I still use my Kontakt 6 full. At the moment there are luckily not so many libs that require V7. At least not the ones I am interested in! But as always, YMMV! 😉

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

I was just about to post something very similar.  NI had a significant price drop for KONTAKT Player for developers for free libraries that, I believe, occurred during version 6.  That led to many developers deciding to to release freebies for KONTAKT Player, some of course, didn't arrive until version 7 was introduced. I think the pricing change for developers was a very smart idea on NI's part, as they've significantly increased the amount of DAW users who have experienced using KONTAKT and a KONTAKT sample library, so it starts a relationship between NI and many users that didn't exist prior to the change. On the user side, it means people who don't own - - including those who can't afford -- KONTAKT can now enjoy freebies that were historically only for those who owned the full version of KONTAKT.  

• Like 3

I tend to dislike NI's distribution of their own libraries.  When you buy from other developers you can archive your downloads  if need to reinstall them.  If it's a Komplete library you need to back them up on another drive.  There is no option to keep your downloads.  This can be issue if you had a drive go bad and have to download all of the libraries in Komplete.  You can get a warning from your ISP of using up your data limit.

9 hours ago, Fleer said:

Tutti Free any good?

Yeah, it's fun. Sounds pretty good, and it's only 400+ mb -- so it's not eating HD space.

It's a lot of short recordings, so while there isn't a ton of content, it's got enough to be useful. I can see me using some of these little patches.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I tend to dislike NI's distribution of their own libraries.  When you buy from other developers you can archive your downloads  if need to reinstall them.  If it's a Komplete library you need to back them up on another drive.  There is no option to keep your downloads.  This can be issue if you had a drive go bad and have to download all of the libraries in Komplete.  You can get a warning from your ISP of using up your data limit.

I have archived their Native Access installer files in the past but don’t know if things have changed since.

NA used to download an ISO file for each installation and these can be mounted and then the installer launched.

The trick is to copy them to a different folder before they are deleted. I found an App that would monitor a specified location and automatically copy new files that appeared there to a different location. It worked perfectly and to set the whole thing up only took a few minutes.

15 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

I really like Noir, because it's something hard to replicate and not that common with other orchestral libraries. I like to use the phrases to create a 'sample' and use that in boom bap beats, loop them MPC style.

If this one drops to 99 I may get it.