Most concerning article I have read on AI .. ( from Reuters ) .. "threaten humanity"

aidan o driscoll

Elon Musk today tweeted 2 words  "Extremely concerning!" and then THIS REUTERS ARTICLE

https://www.reuters.com/technology/sam-altmans-ouster-openai-was-precipitated-by-letter-board-about-ai-breakthrough-2023-11-22/

I tend to agree .. when I read it, I had to read it again thinking was this for real. Here are 3 paragraphs that should scare you:

Ahead of OpenAI CEO Sam Altman’s four days in exile, several staff researchers sent the board of directors a letter warning of a powerful artificial intelligence discovery that they said could threaten humanity, two people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

.. a letter about the AI breakthrough called Q* (pronounced Q-Star), precipitated the board's actions.

The maker of ChatGPT had made progress on Q*, which some internally believe could be a breakthrough in the startup's search for superintelligence, also known as artificial general intelligence (AGI), one of the people told Reuters. OpenAI defines AGI as AI systems that are smarter than humans.

I know we all have made jokes about AI and likes of dystopian Terminator type future, but this is no joke. How far have we gone with this thing even now? How much do we not know?  What if this gets into the wrong hands .. what if it is already in the wrong hands? This is very serious

Er....machines centuries ago.....then computers....did things better than humans.

Most problems on this planet start in people's heads, so it's a good idea to make a machine that delivers better results. imo.

Technology is always gonna fall in wrong hands too, in every 100 humans or animals born there's gonna be a real bad one. 

Don't worry mate, you'll be AIing and enjoying it same as your car, tv, computer, tools etc. 

I get it people are worried since the world is not so nice these days, I'm worrying about things a lot too....not AI though.

Edited by Sheens

Emagine fe AI that analyzes results from data you enter and then starts making a plan to solve them.

How awesome would it be if AI liberated us from all the problems caused by politicians fe ?

In 20 years you'll vote and then AI makes a government plan to achieve what people voted for.

Same with what's gonna be on your TV / Radio.

You won't have to hear/watch Kanye West fe !

Edited by Sheens

I know we can be glib about this BUT do any of ye REALLY KNOW whats going on with AI development? When a while back many top scientists got together to warn the world of AI dev inc Musk & many others.

When i read this part:

"Several staff researchers sent the board of directors a letter warning of a powerful artificial intelligence discovery that they said could threaten humanity"

When i saw this I felt real scared, as if I was watching a scifi movie but this time its real. I even checked in my head was it april 1st.

The big thing for me is who has, will get there hands on tech like this and do what with it? It will not be restricted to Governments and countries. To me it sounds very dystopian IN REALITY.

Its the first I heard of Q * ( Star ) AND artificial general intelligence (AGI). The latter being a next level above AI, the ultimate frontier it seems

Edited by aidan o driscoll

On AI subject 

"Aitana, an exuberant 25-year-old pink-haired woman from Barcelona, receives weekly private messages from celebrities asking her out. But this model is not real, she was created by her designers using AI."

773x435_cmsv2_df1bbc67-2d7e-5b78-bcdc-4321fd474aad-8059116.webp.8a4870d910607ac008a71af9f7340d99.webp

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/11/22/meet-the-first-spanish-ai-model-earning-up-to-10000-per-month

Edited by aidan o driscoll

27 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

On AI subject 

"Aitana, an exuberant 25-year-old pink-haired woman from Barcelona, receives weekly private messages from celebrities asking her out. But this model is not real, she was created by her designers using AI."

773x435_cmsv2_df1bbc67-2d7e-5b78-bcdc-4321fd474aad-8059116.webp.8a4870d910607ac008a71af9f7340d99.webp

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/11/22/meet-the-first-spanish-ai-model-earning-up-to-10000-per-month

We are truly doomed.

13 hours ago, Sheens said:

In 20 years you'll vote and then AI makes a government plan to achieve what people voted for.

Reminds me of the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it."

The reality of the situation is, most people are too ignorant to understand they are voting themselves in to oppression, and once it finally sinks in, it's too late.

That's one of the reasons why we don't live in a full democracy here in the U.S..

AI is great for a lot of things and horrifying for others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paulo said:

Erm....Mr Musk, Sir........ I'm sorry to say this, but I think we've spotted a problem with your electric vehicle plan...

Several of the big manufacturers here announced they are stopping production on EVs. They aren't selling.

Now I wish they would fight the law the feds just passed making kill switches mandatory in every vehicle starting on 2026.

If you're thinking of buying a new car here in the U.S., better do it soon.

That said, there are already kill switches in them, they are just controlled by private corporations, not the federal fellas.

16 hours ago, Sheens said:

Er....machines centuries ago.....then computers....did things better than humans.

Most problems on this planet start in people's heads, so it's a good idea to make a machine that delivers better results. imo.

Technology is always gonna fall in wrong hands too, in every 100 humans or animals born there's gonna be a real bad one. 

Don't worry mate, you'll be AIing and enjoying it same as your car, tv, computer, tools etc. 

I get it people are worried since the world is not so nice these days, I'm worrying about things a lot too....not AI though.

And so it begins...

I read the article and...

It said NOTHING. :/

AI is here to stay and getting stronger. My new avatar is an image I created for my music (through many iterations) using MidJourney.

Learn to use it and make the most of it - resistance is futile. And if you think our society has a smidgen of hope that our leaders will get ahead of this and regulate appropriately then you are not paying attention AT ALL. Our current batch of leaders in the US are mostly idiots - I'd be surprised if most of them have even asked ChatGPT a simple question, let alone understand the ethics and societal implications of such technology. 

I am finding ChatGPT to be an excellent tool. Same with MidJourney.

I encourage you all to have fun with AI - before it destroys us all. :P

• Haha 1