Best PLUGINs ever!

whoisp

Knowing what you know now, what 4 plugins (Not including stock) that you can't do without, your best 4 or what you use and why?

I know i am personally missing some great plugins but we all haev a work flow and preference.  I hear so much about things like Fabfilter Pro-Q and Soothe but my thinking int he beginning as a ex ITV sound and Video engineer, was EQ is EQ and you can get by with stock to get near the same results. Also i latter mention,  one of  my plugin in choices is Ozone due to its versatility.   Serum gets mentioned a lot and Soundtoys Decapitator. Again, stock does well with SoftTube and Compressors, emulators you can create your own Decapitator and Serum at the time Serum was out of my budget as id already over spent... 

In my 4 i have i Melodyne for its multiuse purpose use of audio correction and midi capabilities.  I also could not do without Addictive Drums, its so versatile for what i use it for. I only choose  Synthmaster on cost and ease of use at the time of purchase, given you can get the same sounds out of most Synths. Lasty i use Ozone 9 which i don't just use for mastering but for extra Q on buses and vocal chain. 

So that's my simple  4

Melodyne, Addictive Drums, Synthmaster and Ozone 9

My wish list is maybe Fabfilter Pro-Q and something like RX 10 

Any advice guys? 

Ozone 9 Advanced (which includes a lot of plugins actually)

Melodyne ... Studio or Editor? I got an upgrade deal one time to upgrade to their top VST for almost nothing, so whatever that is.

Guitar Rig 4 (I don't have a need to upgrade).

And well, that's pretty much it other than the stock stuff that comes with Studio One. I only use the stock samples and synths that come with CbB and S1P. And to this day Session Drummer 3 is still my goto drums. That's all I use.

O9A changed my life. Seriously. I did my last 4 mixes and masters using it and they turned out to be the best mixes and masters I've even done, and in the shortest amount of time. It sure is a resource hog though. OMG.

Edited by Shane_B.
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bapu said:

1. AutoAlign2

2. AIXDSP full suite (for drums specifically)

3. AYAIC Ceilings of Sound and Mix Monolith

4. Soothe 2

After that its all sh!te really 🙂 

Well your are another that mentioned Soothe, what does it offer you ?

17 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Ozone 9 Advanced (which includes a lot of plugins actually)

Melodyne ... Studio or Editor? I got an upgrade deal one time to upgrade to their top VST for almost nothing, so whatever that is.

Guitar Rig 4 (I don't have a need to upgrade).

And well, that's pretty much it other than the stock stuff that comes with Studio One. I only use the stock samples and synths that come with CbB and S1P. And to this day Session Drummer 3 is still my goto drums. That's all I use.

O9A changed my life. Seriously. I did my last 4 mixes and masters using it and they turned out to be the best mixes and masters I've even done, and in the shortest amount of time. It sure is a resource hog though. OMG.

I only got the Ozone 9 elements, at the time i could not justify the extra costs and clearly see the advantages, the same with Melodyne, i upgraded to 5 but not Editor, i don't really need the extra function which would be £250 on black Friday after checking. 

I use my own Boss hardware Multi FX for Guitar and same with vocals. I may dabble with the TH3 as i also record a dry second input.    

YEs, you are 100% Ozone is a hungry beast, i use it on my mix bus, vocals and mastering only, i may stick it on something if needed. 

Depending on what cakewalk does with CbB and how long it runs and how good the new one will be, i may have to change to Studio One, ive never used any other DAW less logic at uni years ago. I will after see what the new one like after its been stable for 6 months or something. 

31 minutes ago, whoisp said:

I only got the Ozone 9 elements, at the time i could not justify the extra costs and clearly see the advantages, the same with Melodyne, i upgraded to 5 but not Editor, i don't really need the extra function which would be £250 on black Friday after checking. 

I use my own Boss hardware Multi FX for Guitar and same with vocals. I may dabble with the TH3 as i also record a dry second input.    

YEs, you are 100% Ozone is a hungry beast, i use it on my mix bus, vocals and mastering only, i may stick it on something if needed. 

Depending on what cakewalk does with CbB and how long it runs and how good the new one will be, i may have to change to Studio One, ive never used any other DAW less logic at uni years ago. I will after see what the new one like after its been stable for 6 months or something. 

I got a free version of Melodyne with S1P. If I remember correctly I was able to upgrade that for $99 during a sale which I didn't think was bad, considering I got the first version free.

Same type of thing with O9A. Sweets has really good sales on bundles especially around Christmas. I forget the details now but, but after a couple of phone calls to them I think I got it on sale for $249. There are a few function in Advanced that I needed at the time to clean up and separate some bad 4 and 8 track machine transfers. It worked perfectly.

I got in to the habit, especially with Melodyne, to work with small clips and freeze to free up resources. S1 calls it something different but it has the same functionality. It's been a few years since I turned on my DAW so I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head. 

The graphical function of mastering in O9A alone is worth the price. It showed me things I couldn't hear and allowed me to pinpoint the troubled areas. 

- Overloud TH-U - it may not be the best amp sim, but it's good enough and works well for me

- Valhalla Shimmer - I just love shimmer reverbs and this sounds gorgeous to me

- <whoever owns it this week> BFD 3 - I always need a drum module, and I know how this works.  I've never had the issues a lot of people seem to have done with BFD * software (an occasional oddity, yes, but so does everything IMHO!)

- I need a softsynth that's quite versatile so I think I'd go for Vital (also has a lot of presets to start from)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xoo said:

- Overloud TH-U - it may not be the best amp sim, but it's good enough and works well for me

- Valhalla Shimmer - I just love shimmer reverbs and this sounds gorgeous to me

- <whoever owns it this week> BFD 3 - I always need a drum module, and I know how this works.  I've never had the issues a lot of people seem to have done with BFD * software (an occasional oddity, yes, but so does everything IMHO!)

- I need a softsynth that's quite versatile so I think I'd go for Vital (also has a lot of presets to start from)

Vital is good because its free haha, but its another hungry on the system, but the synths normally are, i know synthmaster its easy for my to stay with it as i mainly use it for FX but they all have the same functions really 

Edited by whoisp

4 hours ago, whoisp said:

What is going on there, no CbB running?

Most have heard the story.  The short version is this:  While I was off working on my PhD back in 2008-9 when a lot of illegal financial stuff happened (the so-called "credit crunch") and I lost two houses, a vehicle and about a million dollars.  This included my music studio which I had over $134k into!  Some things were given to friends and the guitar in my avatar had been paid for, but not finished yet, so I was able to save a few things.  I actually had my DAW (Sonar Producer 4) on an old server that I was able to use for a few years until it finally died.  Since then, when I do play (a lot more rarely than before), it's just me and an amp.  I still have some things I was able to hide and may get back into it, but just surviving comes first!  There have been several new business attempts and side-jobs since everything disappeared, but not the big winner yet.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, whoisp said:

Interesting that quite a few use Melodyne and Ozone., i must be in good company lol

Not really as good at singing or production as we'd like to be probably pretty much describes most  of the people here. 😀

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, craigb said:

Most have heard the story.  The short version is this:  While I was off working on my PhD back in 2008-9 when a lot of illegal financial stuff happened (the so-called "credit crunch") and I lost two houses, a vehicle and about a million dollars.  This included my music studio which I had over $134k into!  Some things were given to friends and the guitar in my avatar had been paid for, but not finished yet, so I was able to save a few things.  I actually had my DAW (Sonar Producer 4) on an old server that I was able to use for a few years until it finally died.  Since then, when I do play (a lot more rarely than before), it's just me and an amp.  I still have some things I was able to hide and may get back into it, but just surviving comes first!  There have been several new business attempts and side-jobs since everything disappeared, but not the big winner yet.

Sorry to hear,  I got royal screwed in a divorce with business etc

Edited by whoisp
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, paulo said:

Not really as good at singing or production as we'd like to be probably pretty much describes most  of the people here. 😀

Its subjective with what you get paid and if you get cuaght like Morvan and Pilatus that did not sing any of the vocals on their music, so Grammy award was revoked like Milli Vanilli lol