UAD LA-2A Free!

cclarry

If you look at the page for this on the UA site, there are several questions with answers. I'm not sure what to make of the one quoted below:

Is this plug-in included in the LA-2A Collection?

No, this plug-in is brand new, and is not included in the LA-2A Collection.

So it is evidently not the same as any of the previously developed plugins, but how is it different?

11 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Seems odd:

image.png.973143f125423f2e9a10c84203f01d0b.png

Good catch! When the rest of us were in awe of getting this free we didn't think of stuff like reading! Hahaha.  But I'm serious. Hmmmm... If anyone knows the deal with this, please share. It did seem too good to be true. But I'm guessing that it's still impressive and must be based on the iconic compressor it's named for. Maybe it's a cut down version? 

1 minute ago, Lionel said:

From Drew @ UAD forums:

- It’s a MKII silver algo (so, it’s new… different from the LA-2A collection and different from the legacy version)

- It’s primarily a new customer acquisition tool

Hmmm...So why does it get the same name, just to draw people in? I guess I'll try it out later this week. Although I'd love to get insights from my fellow forum members who have a lot more knowledge about mixing than me. I know Analog Obsession has a free (everything from them is free) LA-2A clone I think I've heard is good and I own the IK clone. What LA-2A clones do you guys think are the best? 

22 minutes ago, Zo said:

So basically of you own the collection, is it worth getting or not ?

You mean should you spend the money on a free plugin/version?
I would, but that's me. 

If you have the collection (the set of 3) it's kind of an 'easy' version of the Silver.
It's very similar to Silver version in the collection, but has slightly different presets (some but not others, and some unique presets).
and 

1 hour ago, Lionel said:

Drew also mentions:

It’s the silver algo with the legacy GUI. We've removed the Mix control and fixed the Emphasis control in a sweet spot.

1 hour ago, Kreveta Puket said:

and this one have ilock computer base .-) which is for me big +

All UAD Natives use iLok, but dongle isnt' required

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

Dumb question but anyone else not get the email it’s supposed to send when you click “download today” at the bottom. Refreshed and reclicked it maybe 5 times, checked my account email to make sure it’s associated to the right one, nothing yet

Edited by dumbquestions

24 minutes ago, dumbquestions said:

Dumb question but anyone else not get the email it’s supposed to send when you click “download today” at the bottom. Refreshed and reclicked it maybe 5 times, checked my account email to make sure it’s associated to the right one, nothing yet

Now that words out they're probably experiencing high traffic.

Yes, I received it.
But didn't need it as it immediately appeared in my account and I already had the UA installer installed. 
If you haven't installed it yet, get it here: https://www.uaudio.com/downloads/ua-connect
then install it, run it (will need to activate with you UAD account info, iLok account info, etc.).

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1