Some Discord With Next Beta

sjoens

3 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

and as a note: do not install discord on your PC, it takes over your system and is very hard to get rid of without a wipe and re-install of the OS and your apps... the discord web version is fine, and is designed for a younger crowd anyways... 🙂 

Discord desktop didn’t wreak any havoc on my computer and uninstalled very easily, perhaps you had/have a virus and wasn’t aware of it.

4 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

and as a note: do not install discord on your PC, it takes over your system and is very hard to get rid of without a wipe and re-install of the OS and your apps... the discord web version is fine, and is designed for a younger crowd anyways... 🙂 

I agree 100%.**  My kids used Discord, so I gave it a try.  I made the mistake of installing the app on my Audio PC.  BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!  I started having major start-up issues.  Removing/Uninstalling the program did not some the problem.  I had to use several tools to figure out what was going on.  Several things were inserted onto my computer; some were more hidden than others.  I forget what all of them were, but a real stickler was the PC Boot Dial Home to see if there have been any changes at all and to update the Discord program before the computer would boot WITH ABSOLUTELY NO USER NOTIFICATION and no opportunity to say no or bypass.

My audio PC would not boot unless Discord was completely free to change my computer.  For me this was unacceptable.  For users that don't mind that Discord cripples your computer unless you give it complete control like this, Discord can be a blessing.  Your choice. 

But the fact that there were no warnings, that Discord took control, and that I had to dig deep with some semi-advanced tools in order to find out on my own that the Discord program dialed home, checked for updates, and tried to make changes to my computer before it would allow my computer to boot properly was enough to uninstall it. 

Anyone who doesn't mind installing and using the Discord program, that's 100% OK with me. All I am doing is explaining my experiences in case others can use it to make their own decisions. 

IMPORTANT: The above is an accurate description of my experiences; it is an accurate reporting of what's behind my personal decision at the time and what continues to inform my decision.

**UPDATE: Make that 98%.  Using Discord in a web browser helps me feel young  less old. So, that's a benefit, even if it is "designed for a younger crowd . . . ."  😉 Also, it's great when I ask my kids (now adults) to explain how to do things.  In fact just the other day, I heard all sorts of sounds and then one son was talking to me from his office!  So we figured out I had somehow invoke a "phone call" in Discord. It's great to learn new things, esp. from my kids.  🙂 

Edited by User 905133
to add an update
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

my kids (adults now) use it on their PC and then call me to complain about how much disk time, memory and CPU are being used since it's also trying to act as a sharing service etc. so definitely not good on a PC unless that's all you do on a PC 🙂 

Never saw that behavior…

You don't need to install anything to get the - now public - Next Beta.  But you do have to open a forum account and click the link on Cakewalk's home page to get an "invite" and answer some q's to "find" it on the "updates" channel.

Edited by sjoens

Gave Next a try ( I have Discord here on my studio PC btw for a few years as we use it to talk about collabs and hadn't noticed any issues ) 

Next seems very slick and polished, it's too simplistic for me to use in any real way but I am guessing I am not arget audience and I can see the appeal to those stepping up from something like the Bandlab App or creators seeking a first DAW.

I like the visual style, and the one thing it has that I wish CbB or Sonar had is the Xsampler - I like the way if you just drag a loop into the track pane it offers to make it into a sampler instrument. I hope they carry this over to the new Sonar. 

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I've been Invited to Discord for a couple of apps.  AI related for video...But I just don't understand or grasp how Discord works.  One of my invites does generate video , but it's not usable (yet).  It's like inputting code.

My kids might be coming home next month.  (Old Man Rant) Maybe they can explain it to me.

I'm trying to remember if forums like this one were just as confusing to me in the beginning...

12 minutes ago, Jimbo 88 said:

I've been Invited to Discord for a couple of apps.  AI related for video...But I just don't understand or grasp how Discord works.  One of my invites does generate video , but it's not usable (yet).  It's like inputting code.

Discord is more of a chat than a forum. It kind of splits the difference between a forum and an app like Slack

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Discord is more of a chat than a forum. It kind of splits the difference between a forum and an app like Slack

That does explain some of it.  But let me give specific examples.

1)  I generate video on Kaiber.AI.   The other day there was a downloading issue.  I contacted Kaiber tech support and they said , yes there is an issue and they are working on solving the problem.  The tech said that they were going to keep everyone updated and I should go to Discord.  I accepted the invite, got to Discord and the Kaiber AI channel and I have no idea how to see updates or anything but what the latest person just typed.  The site is confusing to me.

2) I saw a YouTube video on how Pika on Discord would generate AI videos.  I accepted that invite and can follow the instructions and create a video, but beyond that, the rest of the Pika channel is just as confusing.   Unless I'm doing that one specific thing, I have no idea what I can do there or what I am doing on the site.

Maybe it's a matter of time.