2023.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

On 12/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, Olaf said:

I said it myself, a few days after the announcement was made that I didn't think Cwk, as it stands today, was even remotely ready to be commercially released. And the thing is, if it fails for a second time, commercially, I think it might be the end of the road. So, hopefully the mystery is about fixing the hundreds of bugs and reliability problems it has - plus maybe a few dozens intuitiveness and ergonomic problems.

Having newcomers that aren't as prone to finding excuses to it, no matter what, out of habit, sympathies or misunderstood gratitude, might be a good idea, in that regard. Cause one thing I've said from my early days with Cwk, about 4 years ago, was that the moment Cwk become a paid application, all that predisposition for lenience will vanish overnight - and it's not doing anybody any favors, as it exists today.

I do believe people on this forum would be good testers, subjectivity aside, but, for one, I've signalled dozens of problems during these 4 years, and none of them seems to have been addressed. Some suggestions did make it, though, and I appreciate that. I still have about 30-40 pretty big issues captured, right now, which I'm not putting out because it would take a lot of time, to very little hope. For instance I can't trust Cwk with my audio clips. I don't think there's worse you can say about a professional DAW. And it crashes a few to a few dozen times a night, for the most diverse reasons. It can't find, now, plugins it had loaded 5 minutes before. It handles RAM and registry entries badly, and there always seems to be some conflict with the video side in the VC redists - to my very limited understanding of media frameworks. That's just counting a few issues. And I do like Cwk, don't get me wrong, I want to work in it - love the interface, the PC, what it can do, the sound, etc. - but objectively speaking. It's got a lot going for it, if the problems were solved, I think it would be stellar. But the problems are great, and have persisted for years. So...

For a commercial release, i believe the most important factor, before any interesting functions, is that it be reliable, and work as intended - basics first - also consistent and intuitive - which it doesn't right now.

It sounds like you have one seriously screwed up system....

• Like 8
  • Meh 4

14 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

Don’t forget one thing : what doesn’t work for you may work fo others - perhaps your issues are mostly system specific ?. I’ve had very few issues with CbB (and those i had were mostly user error), it is stable, very usable and thoroughly recommendable. 

Sure, but looking around the forum, you can see there's many such reports, from many people.

I don't have a dedicated system for music, that I keep in a "sterile" environment, software wise, I have all kinds of programs installed, plus anti-viruses that constantly mess with legit software, so on. So, it's a general purpose system that I use for music, but not only. I constantly install and uninstall a ton of plugin, try out stuff, etc. - thousand of titles over time. I understand that can mess with your system, sure, but a DAW is not supposed to only work in certain, very controlled, "pristine" conditions.

And I've been through about 4 OSes during these 4 years, starting with Win 7 - now I'm on 11, tried about 4-5 interfaces on it, and in time changed every piece of hardware inside it. These issues have been constant throughout.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

t sounds like you have one seriously screwed up system....

It sounds like every single intervention you have on this forum is to put someone down, or negatively comment, without any special reason, intention to help, actual interest in the problem, or info on the topic.  It seems there's a lot of people with "seriously screwed up systems" on this forum, and the observation has already been answered. It doesn't help anybody if you always make it personal, about specific users, which seems to be your "style", and it certainly won't help Cwk.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 4

14 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

IF CbB was as bad as you think, the forums would be on fire....

They ARE on fire, but when you choose to ignore it I guess you can invent a parallel reality designed just to contradict. Not to mention a lot more people would probably come up, if it weren't for individuals just like yourself, and if they thought their input actually solved anything. Anyway, thanks for your guessing intervention with no accuracy, intention to help, or info on the matter whatsoever, for the exclusive purpose of invalidating other people's experience. I guess people should return the favor sometime, it would be just fair. Since it appears it's ALL you do.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 3

10 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Keep it polite if you can't say something positive don't post anything. 

I actually find this comment very negative.! People shouldn’t post on the internet if they are so easy to offend.
This forum is very polite and helpful and sometimes we need to point out the facts realistically and not dripping with sugar.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I actually find this comment very negative.! People shouldn’t post on the internet if they are so easy to offend.
This forum is very polite and helpful and sometimes we need to point out the facts realistically and not dripping with sugar.  

Perhaps, but there is never an excuse for being blatantly rude or unnecessary aggressive, you can be straight without being rude, or aggressive. 

• Like 3

Dear FORUM friends.

We ended the year 2023 without the long-awaited BETA version of the new, brand-new SONAR, with the correction of thousands of bugs or non-bugs as many friends here reiterate, and countless other innovations having been made available.

During this period there were many good approaches, others not so much and many even inelegant, bordering on bad manners.

At the end of this year, I call on all of us, users of the tool, to be more united in helping each other so that the tool reaches a satisfactory point of evolution.

Until then, I continue to use the current version for what suits me and, of course, I started using REAPER in its latest version, which is very consistent and full of features that I was unaware of and are fully serving me.

I wish you all a great 2024.

• Like 4

2023 is now over and it's from September that this latest CbB update cannot be activated offline. I remember all that without this last update, those who have an offline PC can only stay still at version 2022.11 of a year earlier.

Considering that as indicated in the release note it had to be only a temporary deactivation of the function, in your opinion it's possible that after 4 months it's still unavailable? If there are delays at least release a revision of the 2023.09 update with the old system restored so at least in the meantime we can install this update. I remember again to all that this option was ALWAYS available and was "temporarily" removed only in the last update and therefore it was not a question of adding or fix something but simply leaving it as it was...

Edited by Ronny.G

9 hours ago, Ronny.G said:

2023 is now over and it's from September that this latest CbB update cannot be activated offline. I remember all that without this last update, those who have an offline PC can only stay still at version 2022.11 of a year earlier.

Considering that as indicated in the release note it had to be only a temporary deactivation of the function, in your opinion it's possible that after 4 months it's still unavailable? If there are delays at least release a revision of the 2023.09 update with the old system restored so at least in the meantime we can install this update. I remember again to all that this option was ALWAYS available and was "temporarily" removed only in the last update and therefore it was not a question of adding or fix something but simply leaving it as it was...

So why can:t you go on line in this modern world just enough time to activate CbB ? What are your fears ?

My PC is on line 100% of the time (i can’t afford a dedicated unit) and as long as i take the necessary precautions, i’m fine. No dodgy websites, make sure your anti virus doesn’t scan the CbB files and you:re good to go. YMMV

J

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 3:38 AM, Jeremy Oakes said:

So why can:t you go on line in this modern world just enough time to activate CbB ? What are your fears ?

...I have no fears, simply I have a dedicated machine without even browser that was also removed. But I repeat again, I think that I don't have to be forced to reinstall the whole system only because the offline option (always present) was "temporary" disabled more than 4 months ago (in the last update...again I repeat suddenly removed in the LAST CbB update) and still not restored back.

In the release note it's pretty clear indicated that this is only "temporary" (and to be fair with the users that invested time and resources in CbB couldn't be different) so...

Edited by Ronny.G
  • Like 1

An interesting side note to this is that they added the off line activation to Cakewalk Next back in early December. 
Let’s face it CbB is more or less abandon ware and not really supported anymore. 

• Meh 1

48 minutes ago, John Vere said:

An interesting side note to this is that they added the off line activation to Cakewalk Next back in early December. 
Let’s face it CbB is more or less abandon ware and not really supported anymore. 

That may be a good thing.  It may mean that Sonar is coming out soon!

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Unfortunately I agree with you, however considering that it was certainly easier to leave the activation system as it had always been up to that moment and therefore it was done not casually, how I have to consider this "temporary" disabling?

Forgive me for being a bit rude with bakers but now I find hard to believe that it wasn't done on purpose. Not a word for months about this...just disabled. And according to the bakers, I should update now my system, at the EOL of CbB just to receive the latter update? At this point I leave this system as it is and I start to configure (as I have already done) another system with a different DAW (practically all allow offline activation) and my best wishes to Bandlab for the "new" Sonar, even if this will have offline activation. Maybe I have to study a bit a new DAW, as I'm doing already, but at the end it's not as difficult as it once was because times have changed and now they are all more user friendly and some have also added in the last years very useful functions (not only CbB evolved...). I'm learning finally a more supported and widely used DAW and then honestly, now, after having ascertained the consideration of users I think it's time to direct trust also towards others and explore different routes and possibilities...

Edited by Ronny.G