2023.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

On 10/26/2023 at 4:26 PM, Keni said:

but the small perceivable quality 

Theres  no such thing.

Recording at higher bits dont give you better "Quality"  Recording at higher bits only lower the floor noise within the digital universe of audio recording. The recorded file still stays the same. "Quality" is where the pre-amps of your interface comes in. 

I digress though. Lets keep this topic open to feedback only. You guys can create a fresh thread for this topic to continue. 

• Like 2

I thought it interesting to report this...

I just got a call from a friend who uses CbB and I've worked with for many years.

I told him to get the latest (Update 1) which he did (from the original 2023.09) which he did and he was concerned...

He noticed that the program seems to take longer to open...

That was with no knowledge of my experiences or the conversations here on the forum, and he's an extremely non-tech user.... So he doesn't sit (like me) analyzing every minute detail... This was big enough for him to notice and call me about with concern...

...just sayin;

• Like 2

Hi, just updated to 2023.09 Update 1 - all the bugs I previously reported are still there:

1) GS Wavetable softsynth (as well as other installed softsynths) is still missing in the MIDI devices section - this started happening from the previous update (Win10).

2) TTS (as a remedy for #1) generates garbage sound until you set it to "light load mode" - but this setting is not persisted, you need to do it every time for every project (this means going thru 4 windows)

3) If Staff window is moved to the right so it's partially off screen, the visible part is garbled during the playback:

image.thumb.png.947258fc17b81f3a779a15fc15992b53.png

4) In Staff, when you put the notes in succession, they wrongly appear as overlapping (rendered as 2-voice), even though the durations and start times are correct and there is no overlap (just 2 examples here):

image.png.1f0693aecf0e294a405ff97a417cc0ba.png  you see, a note and exactly same pause  together with the note image.png.9e07950c8e1af526cf59358f2b2f3418.png

Also, Ctrl+Left/right navigation in Staff is completely broken. It can go normally for a  few bars, and then it's stuck, and the ruler above is expanded twice (but the bars are not expanded, so the ruler is completely disconnected from the staff) and the cursor doesn't move anymore:

Here is before pressing Ctrl+Left:

image.png.84323f51cbe3f316c053f50d58acbe7d.png

Here is after:

image.png.1ad9d73ebff93268fa904530ac314937.png

12 hours ago, Maxim Yanchenko said:

Also, Ctrl+Left/right navigation in Staff is completely broken.

In the track view, these shortcuts zoom the timeline. I've never used them in the staff view and they were doing nothing there, so I looked it up;. Ref. Guide says they "page" through notes in the staff view, but when I looked in Staff View section of keybindings, there was nothing assigned to Previous/Next Note. I bound them manually, and they are working as expected. Looks like the default staff view assignments got lost at some point. Also, I found that I had to deliberately put the focus in the notes area of the Staff View; clicking the timeline or toolbar was not enough to move focus out of the Track View. But at no point did I see the staff view  timeline get zoomed out of sync with the notes.

On 10/29/2023 at 9:36 AM, Maxim Yanchenko said:

Hi, just updated to 2023.09 Update 1 - all the bugs I previously reported are still there:

1) GS Wavetable softsynth (as well as other installed softsynths) is still missing in the MIDI devices section - this started happening from the previous update (Win10).

2) TTS (as a remedy for #1) generates garbage sound until you set it to "light load mode" - but this setting is not persisted, you need to do it every time for every project (this means going thru 4 windows)

3) If Staff window is moved to the right so it's partially off screen, the visible part is garbled during the playback:

image.thumb.png.947258fc17b81f3a779a15fc15992b53.png

4) In Staff, when you put the notes in succession, they wrongly appear as overlapping (rendered as 2-voice), even though the durations and start times are correct and there is no overlap (just 2 examples here):

image.png.1f0693aecf0e294a405ff97a417cc0ba.png  you see, a note and exactly same pause  together with the note image.png.9e07950c8e1af526cf59358f2b2f3418.png

Those issues are beyond the scope the last drop. Its goal was to address relevant issues that people had run into that were related to the initial 2023.09 release. There were no changes to the Staff View since 2022.11. 

The Microsoft GS Wavetable synth issue is not internal to Cakewalk. It's an unreliable method for trying to get MIDI playback and not recommended for that reason. 

As for garbled audio with the TTS-1, what is the audio configuration for both playback and the project sample rate? There haven't been any changes that would impact TTS-1's performance, and we're unable to reproduce this issue on our end at a standard 44.1 KHz sample rate.

• Like 4

I don't have too many specifics here, but ever since I've updated to the latest version my current project takes FOREVER to open... the blue/green box in the lower right says Opening Project Loading [plugin name here]" for literally about 5 minutes until I can start mixing.  Previous versions were so much faster when I'd open CW and then open this project.

• Like 2

Once again...

Days in a row. Opening CbB taking a solid 30 seconds first open. (Not ptoject, just CbB itself)...

This never happened before the 2023.09 release but has been constant for me and some of my friends/clients mentioning as well... So something is different in this release that is causing this.

Thanksfully, most of the time that's all it is, waiting longer. ...but a few times it leads to CbB lockup and Task Mgr. to close and clear from memory...

It's not so horrible, but I wish someone would address this issue and offer reason(s) for this new behavior. It might alleviate some of my concerns...?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

MT PowerDrum Kit doesn't respond to CC #7 - this is a plugin limitation, not an issue with CbB automation.

Would it be possible for the program to issue this alert when it identifies this problem when trying to create each automation?

Something like:

Attention ! This plugin doesn't respond to CC #7.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Milton Sica said:

Would it be possible for the program to issue this alert when it identifies this problem when trying to create each automation?

Something like:

No, that isn't possible.  Neither hardware MIDI devices nor plugins report what they respond to.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

Something like:

Why not talk to the suppliers, they have a contact page ask them to implement it.

P.S. apparently they only talk German and English. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Why not talk to the suppliers, they have a contact page ask them to implement it.

P.S. apparently they only talk German and English. 

Yes. In other times, the developers themselves made these contacts with the plugin developers trying to enable better integrations with the application.

That's what I expected from the team.

23 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

Yes. In other times, the developers themselves made these contacts with the plugin developers trying to enable better integrations with the application.

That's what I expected from the team.

Well if I have an issue with a plugin I always report the problem both the plugin writers and Cakewalk support.

That way they both have an opportunity to examine and respond. Frequently Cakewalk support will help identify the issues and report back.

If unfortunately the OEM response is we don't support Cakewalk but Cakewalk support has identified the issue is in the plugin I will supply them with Cakewalks findings. 

In some cases it is true that Cakewalk have helped resolve an issue but that is normally by working with the OEM to resolve it. Like when they highlighted a Bug in Steinberg's VST 3 SDK, then helped Steinberg correct it.

Personally I always look to the third party before blaming the host, and I am not referring to CbB as I do use other software that uses plugins. Some work fine in CbB but not I other software. 

As to the implementation chart it looked quite comprehensive to me.

• Like 2