2023.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

My profound thanks to David! I went back through the settings in Staff View and discovered that the Display Pedal Events had been unchecked along with the Display Chord Grids!!

I know that I did not turn these off myself because I use multiple templates to start projects and it just didn't make sense why Pedal and Chord Grids was turned off!

Anyway, thanks again to the guys and gals on this wonderful forum for your great help thru these many years!! I hope this forum doesn't disappear after the new pay version arrives!!

Back to work!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sunshine dreaming said:

Does this mean there is another 2023.09 update which then is the final legacy version? 

Or is production build 2023.09 (062) the final legacy version?

This latest version 2023.09.062 is the last final release of this DAW Cakewalk by Bandlab. After this version, two new projects will be developed: Cakewalk Next and Sonar, while they are in beta versions.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IgoRr said:

This latest version 2023.09.062 is the last final release of this DAW Cakewalk by Bandlab. After this version, two new projects will be developed: Cakewalk Next and Sonar, while they are in beta versions.

I don't believe this is the correct statement, as it would not be common sense for the marketing of the incoming product.

I strongly believe that the company and its developers are committed to correcting as many of the imperfections reported in this "latest" version as possible.

• Great Idea 1

While 23.09.xxx will likely be the release number, .062 is not the final release. We will be notified when the final release is available.

The current version has been released under the Early Access program.

The final release  of CbB will coexist in the market after the release of Sonar giving users an opportunity to make comparisons.

Thats a distillation of my understanding of the numerous and pertinent posts by the Bakers.

Edited by Michael Vogel
Correct typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

While 23.09.xxx will likely be the release number, .062 is not the final release. We will be notified when the final release is available.

The final release  of CbB will coexist in the market after the release of Sonar giving users an opportunity to make comparisons.

Thats a distillation of my understanding of the numerous and pertinent posts by the Bakers.

...and I might add, an excellent way for potential new users to get a solid idea of what to expect in Sonar!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

That was exactly my question to "the Bakers".

When you look at the "Early Access Program"
in the past the final release for 2022.11 was build 2022.11 (021), which at the same time
also was the last update mentioned in the EA page:
[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.11 Update 1 Early Access [Updated to Build 21]
It looks pretty similar to me, that its (062) this time:
[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2023.09 Early Access [Updated to Build 62]

And we got an official update for 2023.09 (062). (does this maybe count as notification?)
When I remember it correctly it was called "production build"  (at least on my system);
that's why I installed it.
however, indeed there was no indication, whether its the final one or not; 
so I hoped to get clarity here to do some long term backups of my projects.
Also my other question about the offline-activation tool was not being answered yet, so how do we get notified about that one?

Although the product is very good, the communication really can be improved here.
Thank you.

Edited by sunshine dreaming
  • Like 3

Sunshine Dreaming has brought up the very point that as days go by becomes a very contentious fact to me!

As I have repeatedly stated, I have almost 30 years of projects in the Cakewalk platform.  Users like me that have that much of an investment in this product deserve to at least know an estimated cost of moving forward with Cake much less concrete answers on how long CbB will be accessible and operational if they intend to completely ditch it!

What Roland and Gibson did was hard enough on dedicated Cake users! Now we are in complete limbo once more?

I know that part of marketing is to keep the new products under raps so the unveil will "blow your sox off!"

But when there are users that this marketing is forcing us to revisit the horrible days we went thru before and we have to worry about how to import 30 years worth of hard work into another DAW in whatever short time we have to do so, well , let's just say I feel ambivalent about this whole secretive market thingy!!

Don't think that clients don't come back to remix or add tracks to a project they so called were happy with ten years ago! It happens, believe me! Now what do I do when the DAW I did this project in is dead! 

I have opened CbB projects now in Sonar Platinum and X3 even. They open fine but you have to backtrack and remix some things to adjust it enough to work on adding anything, not to mention some features are gone such as articulation maps, etc. The prospect of importing 30 years worth of work is dark and dreary!

I love Cakewalk. They have been stellar with their support and the forum is the best people I have ever had the pleasure to hang out with.

Yes, I have Pro Tools, I have Samplitude, and I have Mixbus! They serve me well but Cakewalk has been the greatest joy to work in and now I  am in a position to say I would love to continue my relationship with Cake, but if we don't get answers pretty soon, I will have to close the door on it!

Again,  not out of anger! I'm just tired of the drama.

Now, excuse me while I get back to exporting 30 years of my life to another DAW!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Sunshine Dreaming has brought up the very point that as days go by becomes a very contentious fact to me!

As I have repeatedly stated, I have almost 30 years of projects in the Cakewalk platform.  Users like me that have that much of an investment in this product deserve to at least know an estimated cost of moving forward with Cake much less concrete answers on how long CbB will be accessible and operational if they intend to completely ditch it!

What Roland and Gibson did was hard enough on dedicated Cake users! Now we are in complete limbo once more?

I know that part of marketing is to keep the new products under raps so the unveil will "blow your sox off!"

But when there are users that this marketing is forcing us to revisit the horrible days we went thru before and we have to worry about how to import 30 years worth of hard work into another DAW in whatever short time we have to do so, well , let's just say I feel ambivalent about this whole secretive market thingy!!

Don't think that clients don't come back to remix or add tracks to a project they so called were happy with ten years ago! It happens, believe me! Now what do I do when the DAW I did this project in is dead! 

I have opened CbB projects now in Sonar Platinum and X3 even. They open fine but you have to backtrack and remix some things to adjust it enough to work on adding anything, not to mention some features are gone such as articulation maps, etc. The prospect of importing 30 years worth of work is dark and dreary!

I love Cakewalk. They have been stellar with their support and the forum is the best people I have ever had the pleasure to hang out with.

Yes, I have Pro Tools, I have Samplitude, and I have Mixbus! They serve me well but Cakewalk has been the greatest joy to work in and now I  am in a position to say I would love to continue my relationship with Cake, but if we don't get answers pretty soon, I will have to close the door on it!

Now, excuse me while I get back to exporting 30 years of my life to another DAW!

I must agree to a certain point, but also remind ourselves about over-worry. 

I've too am a long time 12Tone citizen. From Cakewalk fir Windows on all the way to now with every joy and bump in the road.

You have helped me many times over the decades and have built much respect. I would hate to lose your presence in these surroundings.

I am far below poverty these days but grateful to be allowed to continue my pursuits to a reasonable extent. I’m concerned about the upcoming cost of Sonar but confident in the good people who continue to make this. I believe of good intent and beyond.

The Cakewalk community has long fought for survival and continue to succeed!

As for compatibility issues? You can really only expect best effort and/or extended time as issues arise. Believe me. I had a wire recorder as well as tape when a child, and the history (i.e.) of wax/vinyl/8-track cart/cassette/cd... you get the idea.

I still have a library of 1/4”, 1”, 2” tapes as well as dat tapes...  Remember noise reduction? Sheesh! So many tributaries from the past.

The complications of media portability and survival is not new. It is a challenge to all knowledge. Hard to leave a warning message at a nuclear waste dump that will last as long as the danger. Far better people than I have tried! 😁

Ultimately, all becomes chaos...

I hope you consider this response in the heart of why it is given. I’m working hard every day myself to maintain calm while awaiting what will come. Right now? I make music with what I have. I will do this tomorrow and the day after until I can’t.

Amongst other things, I hope to be using a future version of Sonar on the last day too!

🙏👽🎸🎶

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

BTW, Not sure I used the right emoji on your post. I was hoping for some kind of "confused"?

4 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

[RESPECTFULLY]

It was said and explained many times over and over again. All your old projects will open in the new Cakewalk Sonar. It was the first thing that came from the announcement and if you love Cakewalk that much, invest in the new product. Nothing is changing, besides new features being added and getting a new facelift. It will still be the same DAW with the same workflow with just a new theme basically to say the least. 

So can we put this topic to rest now - its getting old. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1

Responding to Gustabo:

No, I continue to work but to continue to work with CbB seems a bit pointless now. Why continue to use a DAW whose future is in such jeopardy right now. My clients expect the work to be consistent on every level.  I don't want to start or finish a project that I have to apologize for needing more time to prepare because we are switching to a different DAW to continue on! If I  will be forced to switch in 6 months, why not switch now?

Believe me, I am heartbroken to even be in the position to have to think about it! 

I profoundly hope that I won't have to switch but I don't have the luxury of sitting on hold for months waiting on word from Cake about my future! As I said,  I have other DAWs and have used in my time Cubase, Logic, even Saw (Noone here probably remembers that one!)

I just would like more facts and less marketing strategy involved here.

Now, response to Keni

I appreciate the kind words and if I have been able to help anyone here I consider myself so fortunate to count myself among some of the most knowledgeable and caring people I have known! As for leaving this forum,  I will always be checking in. Long before I purchased my own version of Twelve Tone, I visited the forum here for tips and the bottomless pit of midi and audio knowledge here!

I have no plans at this time to make a move but I continue to export my projects in CbB to my alternate DAWs, just in case.

There is hope!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Will, point well made but I  must remind you that a lot of us have collected years of bells and whistles and it would be pointless to pay for things I already have!

I am waiting to see whether there is anything of any use to my needs and if so, will gladly stay with Cake!

I am not, however, going to pay an extremely high price for a DAW that offers little or nothing more than what I already have running in CbB.

I agree this convo is getting old and for my part will say no more.

Blame Cake for it getting old! We're still waiting!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Edit: *PROBLEM SOLVED* Obviously a Windows problem, I've deleted all registered Midi devices using the Midi device uninstaller from Korg and now the synths show up again in Cakewalk. It was just coincidence that the problem appeared at the same time as I had updated Cakewalk.

---

I have just updated to 2023.09 build 062 but now I have the problem that my Korg ARP 2600M and Odyssey FS synths don't show up in MIDI devices anymore. This has definitely worked with the previous version of CbB, I haven't made any changes in the connections before the update. The synths are connected by USB and Windows shows them correctly as Audio devices. I have reinstalled the Korg USB MIDI driver but no success. My other USB MIDI synths (from other manufacturers) all show up in Cakewalk, just the Korg/ARP's don't.

Any ideas what could cause this problem? Perhaps the new Cakewalk version is not compatible with the Korg driver anymore? For me it's really bad because I definitely need these 2 synths for my current project, so help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Stefan Bornhorst
Problem solved
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

I am waiting to see whether there is anything of any use to my needs and if so, will gladly stay with Cake!

Theres plenty of new features and add-ons thats going to come with Cakewalk Sonar. The price will also be affortbale to everyone. All this was announced almost two months ago in the previous feedback release. Go look it up.

This forum topic is for feedback to the current release only which is also getting another update soon to this version. So please put this to rest and keep this forum topic open and stictly to only feedback. 👍🏽

Edited by Will.
  • Like 3