ETI Roads, Free Rhodes KONTAKT Library - Very Nice!

PavlovsCat

5 minutes ago, Eduard Telik said:

Developer here! Quickly made an account to join the discussion.
First of, it is really nice to see the resonance this library is getting right now. I already had to switch from hosting the files on Dropbox to hosting them on Google Drive, as Dropbox had at one point locked my account because of too much traffic. I hope that Google won't do that too.

I also appreciate all the feedback that I am getting from different sides, and would like to adress some of the issues regarding the ETI ROADS.

File Size and File Format: When I started the recordings for this project, I had to make decisions real quick. One of them was choosing the sample rate for recording. I wanted to leave myself open regarding if I want to use a higher sample rate or not. I could go and downsample everything at a later point, but during the rest of the production it escaped my mind, as there were other, more serious issues. The reason for that would be that the production for the first release candidate had to be done in 3 months, from the conception, preparation of the instrument, recording, de-noising and editing of samples, Kontakt integration, scripting, GUI design, ect ect... as this was part of a bachelors thesis, which leads to the next issue that was brought up:

Budget and Payment: As this was created with recording equipment from my university, I am not allowed to use the recorded samples for any commercial purposes. That is why this sample library is free and always will be. I will not take any dontations for this project either.

This doesn't mean that I won't might take my time and work on an "Ordinary Mortals-Res" version of the ETI ROADS in the future, it just might take a while. The sample rate conversion itself isn't a huge issue, but because I want this library to work down to a Kontakt 5 version, I cannot use the Kontakt Developer Tools, which would allow me to replace samples automaticaly in a few minutes. Instead, I have to drag and drop sets of the samples into Kontakt, then MANUALLY enter the pitch and gain correction values that I need. And this will be hours of hours of entering numbers for each samples. I have already done that once, to make this available for Kontakt 5 users.

I am really looking forward to more of your feedback, suggestions and general resonance. It makes me really glad that this won't be another project, that just disappears onto some university archive computer and will never see the light of the day again, as has happened with other projects from my uni.

Cheers,

Eduard

Thanks for taking the time to post here and answer questions.  Most of all thanks for making and sharing your sample library,  it sounds excellent. So kudos to you. I think you have a future as a sample developer. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eduard Telik said:

I already had to switch from hosting the files on Dropbox to hosting them on Google Drive, as Dropbox had at one point locked my account because of too much traffic. I hope that Google won't do that too.

Google has already temporarily blocked downloads but it seems to reset every 24 hours so you can probably leave the files there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eduard Telik said:

Developer here! Quickly made an account to join the discussion.
First of, it is really nice to see the resonance this library is getting right now. I already had to switch from hosting the files on Dropbox to hosting them on Google Drive, as Dropbox had at one point locked my account because of too much traffic. I hope that Google won't do that too.

I also appreciate all the feedback that I am getting from different sides, and would like to adress some of the issues regarding the ETI ROADS.

File Size and File Format: When I started the recordings for this project, I had to make decisions real quick. One of them was choosing the sample rate for recording. I wanted to leave myself open regarding if I want to use a higher sample rate or not. I could go and downsample everything at a later point, but during the rest of the production it escaped my mind, as there were other, more serious issues. The reason for that would be that the production for the first release candidate had to be done in 3 months, from the conception, preparation of the instrument, recording, de-noising and editing of samples, Kontakt integration, scripting, GUI design, ect ect... as this was part of a bachelors thesis, which leads to the next issue that was brought up:

Budget and Payment: As this was created with recording equipment from my university, I am not allowed to use the recorded samples for any commercial purposes. That is why this sample library is free and always will be. I will not take any dontations for this project either.

This doesn't mean that I won't might take my time and work on an "Ordinary Mortals-Res" version of the ETI ROADS in the future, it just might take a while. The sample rate conversion itself isn't a huge issue, but because I want this library to work down to a Kontakt 5 version, I cannot use the Kontakt Developer Tools, which would allow me to replace samples automaticaly in a few minutes. Instead, I have to drag and drop sets of the samples into Kontakt, then MANUALLY enter the pitch and gain correction values that I need. And this will be hours of hours of entering numbers for each samples. I have already done that once, to make this available for Kontakt 5 users.

I am really looking forward to more of your feedback, suggestions and general resonance. It makes me really glad that this won't be another project, that just disappears onto some university archive computer and will never see the light of the day again, as has happened with other projects from my uni.

Cheers,

Eduard

Hi Eduard,

thank you so much. It looks promising. I will try it our as sson as the download has finished. Viele Grüße aus Berlin.

Peter

7 hours ago, Eduard Telik said:

... for the first release candidate had to be done in 3 months, from the conception, preparation of the instrument, recording, de-noising and editing of samples, Kontakt integration, scripting, GUI design, ect ect...

Hi Eduard, first all... thank you so much for your time and the final product you have done!

Thanks for all your comments that help us to have a better idea about some decisions and the work done behind the library

According part of you comments, and if it is interesting for your thesis, I am very curious about the flow you followed and how to do that from the concept/idea until to put all in value with the instrument finally done

Other people that create libraries, hide part of the process or tell it a little, but not in dept. For me, the part about recording, de-noising and editing of samples is the most interesting

If you decide to put this in your thesis or you publish it, let me know to learn how could I do this in a future if I take some of time in my life

One time more, thank you so much Eduard!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

You caught someone being two faced before the edit. You should get an award for that.  

jngnz didn't catch "someone being two faced before the edit." He was just making a humorous post where he edited a quote of Fleer's for humorous effect. Fleer was definitely not being "two-faced"; Fleer's been very consistent in his posts. He's also one of the friendliest, most amiable people in this forum.  jngnz is, IMO, pretty funny and can be downright brutal with opinions. He is the antithesis of a shilling influencer looking for free products and money from developers. And it is his combination of directness, authenticity and humor that I really appreciate. That doesn't mean I always agree. He clearly doesn't think this library is worth downloading due to the large file size -- I get that and I respect his perspective; 10 GB is pretty big for a Rhodes library (did you catch my 8Dio reference earlier?). Personally, I actually don't have the file space to download this library at the moment (I have a new hard drive I plan on installing this weekend or during the week). So both jngnz and Fleer have been sincere, and I sincerely appreciate them both. 

Anyhow, while I think it's very generous for this developer to have created a website to give away his work at no cost and think he deserves our gratitude, I also get while some people find a 10GB Rhodes library too big.  Finally, if you want to go after someone for editing posts, I think I'm the king of editing posts. After someone likes one of my posts, I'll re-read it and inevitably find a grammatical error or think of something I really should have had in the post to make it more helpful to someone reading it later. But it's not for some nefarious reasons. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
Corrected a few spelling errors.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, BTP said:

Google has already temporarily blocked downloads but it seems to reset every 24 hours so you can probably leave the files there.

I have noticed that. I should sooner or later wrap my hand around the most cost efficient method of hosting those files, as this library seemingly is gaining tracktion right now.

8 hours ago, Peter Hintze said:

Hi Eduard,

thank you so much. It looks promising. I will try it our as sson as the download has finished. Viele Grüße aus Berlin.

Peter

Grüße zurück :) and a lot of fun with the thing.

8 hours ago, Niky Serrano said:

According part of you comments, and if it is interesting for your thesis, I am very curious about the flow you followed and how to do that from the concept/idea until to put all in value with the instrument finally done

Other people that create libraries, hide part of the process or tell it a little, but not in dept. For me, the part about recording, de-noising and editing of samples is the most interesting

If you decide to put this in your thesis or you publish it, let me know to learn how could I do this in a future if I take some of time in my life

I wanted to tell you, that the link to the thesis is on the webpage, but after checking, it seems that I have forgotten to add it. Sorry for that, now there is a link in the "History" section of the webpage, unforunately it's all in a strange and peculiar langauge called "german".
The thesis basically deals with the exact issue that you are putting out here: What information do we get from sample library creators, and how do we deal with aspects of the production of a sample library, that are not mentioned anywhere. If for whatever reason the information detailed in the thesis are not enough for you, feel free to ask me! After all, the purpose of research is also to enrich public knowledge.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

96KHz is not going to impress anyone except those in storage sales. 

I have the 8dio VIP versions of their libraries.  I switched back to their lower bitrate versions because I would delude myself thinking there was a difference.

Storage sales are not my thing really. As you may have noticed, I have not earned any money from this product (even though I had opportunities to do so), nor am I planning to.

Your argument is of course valid: The difference between 96kHz and lower samplerates could be called marginal, mostly when you record with microphones that do barely reach over 20kHz, listen to speakers with barely a range above 20kHz and, of course, listen with ears that in young age only percieve frequencies in that range. However, you should ask yourself another question: Why do a lot of plugins and DAW features work with internal oversampling?
Nyquist is of course right, but we cannot forget that aliasing and imaging artifacts still exist in recording, even more so if you use cheaper A/Ds and D/As. The same goes for digital processing.

I do not have really much time right now to go through that process, but would you be willing to download it, once I have a 44.1/48k - 16 Bit version ready for distribution?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Eduard Telik

Thanks for sharing your hard work so openly. If this project was recorded using your university's equipment (and as such you're forbidden from profiting from it), does it also mean that this library cannot be used for commercial purposes by others?

In my case, this is a hypothetical question (as nobody would be wanting to buy my music), even if I got around to finishing my projects.

1 minute ago, antler said:

Thanks for sharing your hard work so openly. If this project was recorded using your university's equipment (and as such you're forbidden from profiting from it), does it also mean that this library cannot be used for commercial purposes by others?

In my case, this is a hypothetical question (as nobody would be wanting to buy my music), even if I got around to finishing my projects.

I do not see why not. I do not think that there was ever such a case in the entire history of our university of "2nd hand" usage of recorded material for commercial purposes... We are talking about a sample library after all.
This clause is mainly to not take jobs away from other studios, by offering high quality recordings basically for free. Other studios have to pay for their equipment ect... us students don't.
Use it freely :)

4 minutes ago, antler said:

Well, let's hope it impresses/impressed Eduard's course examiners, as that's what it was originally created for.

It was impressive enough for them to give me the highest grade for it, soo.....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fleer said:

No worries @PavlovsCat, as @kitekrazy is also just being funny. 
That’s the way the man struts.
Boom, like that 😎

That's good to know! I like it best when we stay friendly and respectful and ideally, keep the good vibes going. That's a huge part of what makes this forum such a nice place. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Eduard Telik said:

I wanted to tell you, that the link to the thesis is on the webpage, but after checking, it seems that I have forgotten to add it. Sorry for that, now there is a link in the "History" section of the webpage, unforunately it's all in a strange and peculiar langauge called "german".
The thesis basically deals with the exact issue that you are putting out here: What information do we get from sample library creators, and how do we deal with aspects of the production of a sample library, that are not mentioned anywhere. If for whatever reason the information detailed in the thesis are not enough for you, feel free to ask me! After all, the purpose of research is also to enrich public knowledge.

About that peculiar language called "german", don't worry, I will use my friend Google Translator, and If I have any doubt, I will ask you.

Thanks a million Eduard!

Kr from Spain

31 minutes ago, Niky Serrano said:

About that peculiar language called "german", don't worry, I will use my friend Google Translator, and If I have any doubt, I will ask you.

Thanks a million Eduard!

Kr from Spain

@Niky Serrano Your post reminded me of this old song. Hmmm...maybe everybody who mentions what country they're from/live in gets a song dedication today! :)

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, satya said:

Can we use them for commercial purposes 

Yes, he did comment on that to confirm 🙂

I would imagine the samples / sounds can't be resold (and shouldn't be anyway really IMO), but the instrument should be fine to use in any of your commercially released tracks, or productions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, satya said:

Can we use them for commercial purposes 

You can use the sample library for commercial and non-commercial music and a/v productions. 

What you are not allowed to do is "repack" the sample library and e.g. make another sample library out of it... (and then maybe even sell it).

2 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Yes, he did comment on that to confirm 🙂

I would imagine the samples / sounds can't be resold (and shouldn't be anyway really IMO), but the instrument should be fine to use in any of your commercially released tracks, or productions.

Exactly :)

• Like 4