ETI Roads, Free Rhodes KONTAKT Library - Very Nice!

PavlovsCat

A new KONTAKT developer is giving away a really nice sounding Rhodes electric piano sample library for free. I haven't downloaded it yet, but the demos sound great. The developer states: 

For use with:KONTAKT 5.6.8 * (or newer), (NOTE: This is for the Full Version Only)

Detailed sampling. 5790 samples in 96KHz/24-bit .wav

42 velocity levels, dynamic release pedal and instrument noise.

Instrument:Rhodes MKII, 1980

Recorded Keys:73

Velocities:42 sustain, 37 release

Other Samples:Pedal noise, instrument noise

Effects:Tremolo, amp simulation, reverb

Download size:9.3GB (9.9GB uncompressed)

https://eti-roads.com/

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 10

• PavlovsCat changed the title to ETI Roads, Free Rhodes KONTAKT Library - Very Nice!
1 hour ago, jngnz said:

FTFY

While 10GB is pretty large (8Dio level large), if you appreciate electric piano, and especially the Rhodes, a detailed sample library is going to be pretty large (although, I might expect maybe half this size and suspect it could be better optimized) and, at least IMO, the fact that something of this quality level (based on demos) is free is the trade off. From the demos, this sounds comparable to a paid library that would easily cost $50 USD or more. I think it's at least worth downloading and trying out and if doesn't meet expectations,  simply delete it. But the demos would sound really good even if this was a paid library. On the landing page, the developer states that this was made for a college thesis, so I would expect it's better than most freebies.  The demos are definitely far better sounding than any free Rhodes library I know of. Anyhoo,  I think it's potentially worth the hard drive space.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Close, but checked anyway: 

got 24 Samsung SSDs

six T1, five T3, seven T5, three T7 and three T7 Shield 

heck, I need more sample libraries :)

Too long sticking along here with Larry posting hard drives deals, uh? :D 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Fleer said:

got 24 Samsung SSDs

I've only got 3: 2x2TB T7 a 1x2TB X5 Thunderbolt 3 SSD for my sample drive. 👍

EDIT: Downloading. Good thing I speak German (I wish my French was as good), since the User Manual is in German.

EDIT 2: I just noticed that there's also an English User Manual link at the bottom of the page. One more nice detail from the dev!

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1

For those who want a smaller library, I would suggest contacting the developer and offering him something to make a smaller size version. If he could set up a way to donate, I think it would be worth a donation. I don't think something like $5 USD or $10 USD for a library like this would be much to pay.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

got 24 Samsung SSDs

Is this the musician equivalent of being a cat lady?

I need to stay away from this place of madness.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

Developer here! Quickly made an account to join the discussion.
First of, it is really nice to see the resonance this library is getting right now. I already had to switch from hosting the files on Dropbox to hosting them on Google Drive, as Dropbox had at one point locked my account because of too much traffic. I hope that Google won't do that too.

I also appreciate all the feedback that I am getting from different sides, and would like to adress some of the issues regarding the ETI ROADS.

File Size and File Format: When I started the recordings for this project, I had to make decisions real quick. One of them was choosing the sample rate for recording. I wanted to leave myself open regarding if I want to use a higher sample rate or not. I could go and downsample everything at a later point, but during the rest of the production it escaped my mind, as there were other, more serious issues. The reason for that would be that the production for the first release candidate had to be done in 3 months, from the conception, preparation of the instrument, recording, de-noising and editing of samples, Kontakt integration, scripting, GUI design, ect ect... as this was part of a bachelors thesis, which leads to the next issue that was brought up:

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

For those who want a smaller library, I would suggest contacting the developer and offering him something to make a smaller size version. If he could set up a way to donate, I think it would be worth a donation. I don't think something like $5 USD or $10 USD for a library like this would be much to pay.  

Budget and Payment: As this was created with recording equipment from my university, I am not allowed to use the recorded samples for any commercial purposes. That is why this sample library is free and always will be. I will not take any dontations for this project either.

This doesn't mean that I won't might take my time and work on an "Ordinary Mortals-Res" version of the ETI ROADS in the future, it just might take a while. The sample rate conversion itself isn't a huge issue, but because I want this library to work down to a Kontakt 5 version, I cannot use the Kontakt Developer Tools, which would allow me to replace samples automaticaly in a few minutes. Instead, I have to drag and drop sets of the samples into Kontakt, then MANUALLY enter the pitch and gain correction values that I need. And this will be hours of hours of entering numbers for each samples. I have already done that once, to make this available for Kontakt 5 users.

I am really looking forward to more of your feedback, suggestions and general resonance. It makes me really glad that this won't be another project, that just disappears onto some university archive computer and will never see the light of the day again, as has happened with other projects from my uni.

Cheers,

Eduard

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11