Exhausted

bitflipper

Like most, I have often tossed out the word "exhausted" rather flippantly. Now I know what it really means.

Today's gig was an outdoor company event. I don't have a problem with corporate gigs generally, since they pay well. But today we played from 3:00 PM until 6:00 PM and it was the hottest and muggiest day of the year so far.

There was no canopy. Because there was no canopy to shield from the sun, I couldn't see the touchscreens on either my synth or my mixer. Very frustrating. And because the A/C in my car is broken, we were already dripping with sweat before we even arrived at the venue. By the time we got set up everyone was dragging, me especially.

The whole time my knees were wobbly. My keyboards were sticky with hand-sweat. I poured ice water over my head at every opportunity. On our breaks I retreated to my car and just collapsed. Normally, I make a point of having a pee before we start playing, but I was completely dry, despite drinking gallons of water. By the end I had to have the bass player drive my van home while I my head flopped out the window like a dog.

My fear is that I'm just too old to handle that kind of heat. Next weekend we're playing a festival in that same town. We go on at 4:00 PM. At least it's only a single 45-minute set. Maybe it's time to add a small fan to my rig?

Maybe get over my reluctance to wear short pants, too. The audience will just have to deal with my blindingly white legs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yeah, what Colin said.

2 things come to mind for me.

The first is I grew up in the outback where temps would literally start to make the roads melt, well into the 50c range out in the sun. When I was a kid our school made us do folk dancing every Friday afternoon (of all things!) right in the direct sun, asphalt bubbling under our feet. So many kids got seriously ill from this stuff. Thankfully they stopped doing that and installed proper shading so nobody has to put up with that kind of stupidity now, but we all learned really fast exactly how seriously to take the sun and hydration. It can literally kill you.

The second thing is a festival we did in Indonesia once. We've regularly done 2+ hour shows and they're all pretty energetic, and even on fairly hot stages we've gotten to the end pretty tired but in OK shape, all things considered. Indonesia, on the other hand, was HOT and MUGGY. By the time we made it to the first chorus of the first song, I think all of us were looking at each other going "what the hell is going on here?"  So even as a kid who grew up in desert temperatures and knows all about working in hot conditions, this still caught me off guard.  Ironically, immediately after we got off stage, a cool change came through and every band after us had a lovely relaxing evening. Sigh. 😑

Heat and dehydration is no joke. Don't be hard on yourself over this, it's a serious thing that can do real damage to people of any age.

• Like 2

Just had a friend (known to a few here) have a bout of heat stroke while in very high heat in Arizona (he's 66 and was visiting his MIL).  Fortunately, he's ok and is back home safely!

Mad respect for Dave being able to handle the conditions! 🙂👍

7 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

The second thing is a festival we did in Indonesia once. We've regularly done 2+ hour shows and they're all pretty energetic, and even on fairly hot stages we've gotten to the end pretty tired but in OK shape, all things considered. Indonesia, on the other hand, was HOT and MUGGY. By the time we made it to the first chorus of the first song, I think all of us were looking at each other going "what the hell is going on here?"  So even as a kid who grew up in desert temperatures and knows all about working in hot conditions, this still caught me off guard.  Ironically, immediately after we got off stage, a cool change came through and every band after us had a lovely relaxing evening. Sigh. 😑

Moral of the story: always he be the headliner. 🙂 

• Haha 1

Slept poorly last night, kept waking up with leg cramps. Something something electrolytes.

We're definitely not equipped for the coming global meltdown up here in the Pacific Northwest, land of flannel shirts, hiking boots and wool beanies with ear flaps. Woodstoves far more common than air conditioning.

We've long whined about crazy housing prices driven up by the massive influx of California refugees. I think in the coming years we'll start calling them Climate Refugees. Look out, British Columbia, you're next. Oh wait, wasn't it B.C. that saw a whole town burn down a couple years ago from 126-degree (52c) weather?  OK, Alaska then. For now.

Yeah... and it’s getting worse as earth's climate is in process of warming...

I had a similar experience recently and don’t wish it on anyone!

I remember when I lived in New Mexico many decades ago I discovered people wearing flannel shirts in 110 120° weather .  The reason being the dryness was worse than the heat so people soaked their flannel shirts constantly to stay wet !

That and wet headbands under hats ...

3 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Now, that's not a bad idea, Keni. I often wear a straw fedora on stage. I could hide a baggie of crushed ice under there.

Careful to make sure it’s sealed well!

I chose a thick headband and a bucket of water in reach (away from electronics and floor level).

If you're playing festivals or corporate events:

• Make sure the event provides some type of cover/canopy (this is important for both sun and potential rain).
  • See if the event will provide some type of access to AC (an RV, trailer, building, etc).  It won't help while performing, but it will provide some relief during breaks or pre/post.

If you're playing in the hot sun, a fan on stage helps tremendously. 

I'd also have a cooler with damp cold towels (put them around your neck).

Yesterday, we played a festival opening for Lynch Mob and Jackyl.

Was raining during load-in... temperature was about 77-78.

After we started, the sun came out and it was hot as hades.

Since it was 60-70% chance of rain, I didn't worry about my fan or the cold damp towels.

Had to play two hours straight (no break).

Drank loads of water.  Only used the restroom once.

With a large stage/crowd, I try to move a lot and put out as much energy as possible.

Totally and completely exhausted!

Thankfully, we had a RV with the AC cranked... so pre/post show we could cool down.

Get some rest..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Make sure the event provides some type of cover/canopy

You can bet we'll be clear on this requirement in the future!

Although even when we've had cover for previous outdoor gigs, the canopy was often not big enough for a 5-piece band plus PA. It's like peoples' mental image of a band is two guys playing banjo and harmonica.

PhotoBrainer, I like that solar-powered fan-hat. Practical AND stylish!

• Like 2