OZONE 10 Elements (not a deal) IS THIS TRUE?

satya

https://www.reddit.com/r/musicproduction/comments/z6cy7c/do_not_buy_ozone_10_elements_if_you_have_9/

Genuinely this is one of the worst downgrades I have ever bought. Ozone 9 Ele has an EQ, Stereo Imager, Maximiser [mastering limiter], and the master assistant function. Ozone 10 Ele has only the latter. There are no modules, no customization, no EQ (apart from the one that Ozone says you SHOULD have, with one simple knob), and only one dial to select your maximiser loudness. It's *****ing ridiculous - Ozone 9 Ele was simple but customizable, giving you the bare basics you need to create a good master. 10 has none of that - it does it all for you, and if you want any simple customization, you need to pay.

Important note: For existing elements users - the new Ozone 10 Elements does not include any modules. To access the newest Ozone 10 modules and the Detailed View, explore Ozone 10 Standard and Advanced versions(from PB description) . Damn I noticed today

SAME FOR Neurton 4 elements

Edited by SATYA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Great Idea 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

So sorry to hear this. Ozone Elements was a very valuable learning tool when I was first learning how to set up mastering chains. The day when I finally John Henry'd it was a fine day indeed (note to non-Americans, John Henry is one our folk heroes, a railroad worker famous for beating a steam-powered drill in a tunneling contest). The presets and mastering assistant were great for instantly making a rough mix sound good.

iZotope probably decided that they were giving too much away with Elements and cannibalizing sales from Standard. They did this same thing years ago with Nectar Elements. The version I got was this dumbed down thing with 4 sliders for the "amount" of each effect rather than a collection of 4 fully-adjustable processors. I bought it based on how useful Ozone Elements was to me at the time and it was useless poo.

When I first got it, there was nothing else I knew of that did the all-in-one mastering plug-in except for those crazy Terry West things that looked like Las Vegas slot machines from the 70's (which I found amusing). Unfortunately, Terry never updated them to 64-bit, but they did sound surprisingly good (surprising given the crazy Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas UI's; using them always reminded me of Hunter Thompson, "we were somewhere near KVR when the drugs finally began to take hold").

Since then, brainworx came out with bx_Masterdesk (in its many forms) and even started giving it away for free. IK Multimedia came out with T-Racks One, which was also a freebie at one point. They don't have the mastering assistant, but IMO, the presets are just as good (once you locate them), there's decent parameter control, and they aren't the freakin' resource hogs that most iZotope FX are.

So I guess Masterdesk Classic will now be the first rung on the ladder when it comes to single plug-in master FX. Good to know.

• Like 2

I only got one of these Elements packs once and it was free (El 8... not sure). I always had the impression that these downgraded packs from iZotope are near to useless!

Save your money... wait for sales and at least get the standard packs. YMMV

18 minutes ago, Sergio said:

I only got one of these Elements packs once and it was free (El 8... not sure). I always had the impression that these downgraded packs from iZotope are near to useless!

Save your money... wait for sales and at least get the standard packs. YMMV

Ozone Elements and Neutron Elements 8+9 were quite powerful.  I think the reason they did this downgrade was to push customers into the higher tier option by taking away controls.  With 8+9 there wasn't a whole lot of incentive to pay "standard" prices for added features.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sergio said:

I always had the impression that these downgraded packs from iZotope are near to useless!

My post is tl/dr (as usual) spells it out, but at least Ozone Elements and RX Elements were quite useful. RX came with the full RX7 editor. Great beginners' tools for learning mastering and restoration.

Ozone came with their parametric EQ, compressor, maximizer, and imager. Since the maximizer is the key to the famous hyped Ozone sound that the kiddies like, it was a heck of a deal for someone who wanted it to sound good now.

• Like 2

Unlike with some other products, it is possible to download and install older versions even after "upgrade". So what's the problem? The company has not packed the features you want into the newer version? Don't buy it or buy different edition.

I can complain what my newer mobile does not have in comparison with 6 years old one, from the same company and in the same series. But that is just a bad excuse for not checking what I was going to buy...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, azslow3 said:

Unlike with some other products, it is possible to download and install older versions even after "upgrade". So what's the problem? The company has not packed the features you want into the newer version? Don't buy it or buy different edition.

I can complain what my newer mobile does not have in comparison with 6 years old one, from the same company and in the same series. But that is just a bad excuse for not checking what I was going to buy...

I don't think your analogy with a phone works for the situation as this is the latest version change for a line of software where the developer has removed significant functionality. It's not a different product,  just the latest version. 

I have the full versions of Izotope's plugins, so this situation doesn't apply to me personally.  Still, I can completely understand disappointment from users of the entry level Elements versions who are disappointed that the developer removed major functionality of the plugin in the new version. Also, stepping back, as a former marketing director who has advised many software companies,  it's also expected that many consumers will upgrade to the latest version of a product not anticipating significant features of the software to have been removed.  I believe the company should have reflected these significant reductions to the product in a change to the product name to give consumers a signal that there has been a major change in the software functionality; specifically,  major features have been removed and the consumer will know need to make additional purchases to have that functionality.  That is significant.  

22 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

at least Ozone Elements and RX Elements were quite useful. RX came with the full RX7 editor.

Which version(s) of RX Elements has the full editor? TIA

Edited by chris.r

2 hours ago, azslow3 said:

You can and you should. A good example of that was when Samsung released the Galaxy S6 and it didn't have a removable battery. When inquired about that, Samsung said the battery had to be internal otherwise the phone wouldn't have its IP67 rating. Then you look at the S5 and it has a removable battery AND an IP67 rating.

1 hour ago, dubdisciple said:

My guess is that Izotope figured that the people getting the elements versions were more interested in instant gratification than control. I always thought the most versions were kinda overpowered for items often given out for free. 

As some people have pointed, 10 Elements is essentially a paid version of Master Assistant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I don't think your analogy with a phone works for the situation as this is the latest version change for a line of software where the developer has removed significant functionality. It's not a different product,  just the latest version.

I am for "backward compatibility" in the number of features for similar named products. In phones, cars, computers and software. But the reality is different. New phones loose connectors, removable batteries and sometimes (in my case) readability of the display (even so it is bigger). Computers no longer have "old" ports and buses. Some audio interfaces are "obsolete" just by one number in one text file of there drivers. Software can loose features. Offline activation can be removed in "minor" version update. I mean we have to accept that, I don't say I find all that good.

Note that there are significant changes with iZotope as a company. It is now in Native Instruments "family". Ozone 10 Standard is included into Komplete 14. Some priorities and marketing politic was changes and I guess some "cuts" are the result of these changes.

We are on Cakewalk forum, for which significant changes are announced. "Cakewalk Sonar" will have the same name but it will be different product. Some have already noted "CbB is free" and "we have payed for lifetime license".  In this thread that is "I could get what I need from Ozone for free (or almost)". Will that change anything? I don't think so.

BTW what is included in clearly listed.  https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone/features.html

2 hours ago, azslow3 said:

BTW what is included in clearly listed.  https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone/features.html

That listing is useless in practice because you don't know which features are on each versions, especially if you compare with something like Cubase's which also tells you which versions have which new features.

https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/new-features/

12 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

That listing is useless in practice because you don't know which features are on each versions, especially if you compare with something like Cubase's which also tells you which versions have which new features.

https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/new-features/

"New" features page is not the best to check differences in editions. For Cubase it is https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

BTW have you managed to scroll down the page I have linked?  I mean it gives direct official answer on the question "IS THIS TRUE?" (the subject of this thread) ;)

PS. For those who want compare the distribution of features with Ozone 9,  f.e.:

https://web.archive.org/web/20201112012340/https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone/features.html