Work Before Play (Short Film Soundtrack)

Ross Smithe

Hey everyone, great to be a part of this wonderful forum with all you awesome Cakewalkers! I've been a CW user for 25 years, and am realizing through interacting with everyone on here how much I still have to learn! Anyway, I wanted to share this instrumental piece I composed for a short film scoring competition, called Work Before Play. The filmmakers ended up going a different direction genre wise, but I really enjoyed doing it. Hope you enjoy it as well!

• Like 4

Well crafted and produced. I can see and hear it working from a scoring perspective very well as the images and music work together to communicate a story. As a song I'd say to trim a couple minutes and tighten it all up🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Well crafted and produced. I can see and hear it working from a scoring perspective very well as the images and music work together to communicate a story. As a song I'd say to trim a couple minutes and tighten it all up🎶🎶🎶🎶

Hey Larry, thanks so much for the kind words, and taking the time to listen! Scoring isn’t usually my thing, so I’m glad it came across that way

17 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Very nice piece of music, Ross!  I don't know why they wouldn't use this, as it has highs and lows, drama, and all the elements that filmmakers like.  Thanks for sharing.

Hey Lynn, thanks so much for taking the time to listen, and for your encouraging words. They ended up opting for something more orchestrally based.

Has all the hallmarks of soundtrack material, the mix comes across reasonably well balanced on my Event 20/20's.

I suspect that the producers didn't know what they wanted in reality, from what I have read on the subject of soundtracks this is often the case.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for listening Wookie, and thanks for the kind words. They ended up going with something more orchestratal. Oh well, I still had a blast doing it! Soundtracks not normally my thing, so definitely stretched me a new directions. 

20 hours ago, jack c. said:

wonderful.what are the vst plugins used for this?jack c

I normally do about 50% VST/50% hardware synths on my stuff. On this one though, was almost exclusively done on hardware, mainly my Korg Kronos. I did use Kontakt Factory Rock Guitar run thru TH3 (layered with another guitar from Kronos) for the middle guitar section.

Edited by Ross Smithe

Ross-Nice work.   Was thinking, when is Steve Stevens going to come in, then 2:20 mark came and there he was.    Lot of good stuff going on in the track, I like how you built the momentum and then went lighter at the end.   Really well executed.

Regards

Hey @markno999, thank you for listening, and for your kind words. I didn’t really think about the Steve Stevens, but you’re right, lol! The musical arrangement of the song was connected to the video, strenuous at the beginning, and then lighthearted at the end.

Edited by Ross Smithe

Soundtracks are my favourite maybe because of my TV background  in production. This is very well done and hits the spot for certain sound scores on a variety of programs to add that emotional vibe, which i call proper music lol You could haev just filmed yourself walking across a field with different headshot pontificating and it would haev worked to this lol  well done Ross 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, whoisp said:

Soundtracks are my favourite maybe because of my TV background  in production. This is very well done and hits the spot for certain sound scores on a variety of programs to add that emotional vibe, which i call proper music lol You could haev just filmed yourself walking across a field with different headshot pontificating and it would haev worked to this lol  well done Ross 

Hey, thanks for taking the time to listen and for the encouraging words. I have to keep that cool video idea in mind for the future, lol! 😎👍

On 5/25/2023 at 6:03 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Ross

Agree with what has already been said - this is excellent, shame it didn't get picked up.

Cool 

Nigel

Hey Nigel, thanks so much for listening and for the encouraging words! I’m not really a soundtrack guy, so it was a great learning exercise for me. 

Ross,

I'm loving the theme introduced earlier but it really shines beginning ~4:00.  A bit simpler orchestration here maybe and with a great sounding flute.
So now I've listened to this a few times and gotta say this has huge potential. Keep working on it and submit it wherever you can.
-Bjorn

• Thanks 1