Knowing what you know now about Creating Music using a DAW and a computer

Can we kindly get this thread back on topic fellas !

Option A Topic ,  Out of Our League Super Hot Chicks are OK to discuss

PM-SPORT-PREVIEW-Rachel-Stuhlmann.jpg?st

Option B Topic ,  All things Involving Becan And the Love Of Becan  ...

bacon-at-400f-720x540.jpg

Option C Topic  , Various Musical  Instruments and gear .

guitar-shop@1400x1050.jpg

Option D Topic s, Music Software and Plugs

platinum.jpg

And  for those of you that must 🤪

Safer Tried and True Submersibles That Won't Quack Under Pressure .

360_F_153825376_Xak5NaxMvITHrvewRU2Cz3Vx

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Can we kindly get this thread back on topic fellas !

Option A Topic ,  Out of Our League Super Hot Chicks are OK to discuss

Option B Topic ,  All things Involving Becan And the Love Of Becan  ...

Option C Topic  , Various Musical  Instruments and gear .

Option D Topic s, Music Software and Plugs

Poor Kenny!  He must have missed...

Option E Topics, All of the above!

😁

It is looking very much like the joint would have been in stress not compression as the cars pulled away in the video. It may have been in compression as the car approached but the track was literally pulling away as it passed the column in the video I saw. It looks as if the welds might have failed at that point.  That is if it was a welded and not a one piece unit at the top of the column. Looks welded to me though.

I think I read someplace that some rides have sensors that detect this kind of thing.

6 hours ago, rfssongs said:

It is looking very much like the joint would have been in stress not compression as the cars pulled away in the video. It may have been in compression as the car approached but the track was literally pulling away as it passed the column in the video I saw. It looks as if the welds might have failed at that point.  That is if it was a welded and not a one piece unit at the top of the column. Looks welded to me though.

I think I read someplace that some rides have sensors that detect this kind of thing.

Yes, you're right. It was definitely under lateral stress as the train passed by.

I guess what I was getting at is that when the crack opened up, when the lateral stress came, it fortunately shifted so that the secure ledge was resting on the broken end. They got lucky.

I just went back and ran it a few more times and I think you're right, it is/was welded. But maybe the weld didn't open up first?

From my amateur perspective, the design flaw might have been in how the parts were put together. It looks like they may have cut a notch into the upright support in order to butt-weld the 45-degree brace to it. This would have weakened the upright, leading to a failure right where you'd expect it, at the thinnest remaining piece, after which the weld to the brace also failed. If they considered it at all, it might have seemed like cutting into the upright was the better choice because it would be under compression, whereas the brace would have the lateral stress. But the upright was also taking lateral stress, as you pointed out.

There are other ways to join cylindrical sections together at an angle besides butt-welding them. There's a lot of technology from fluid pipelines. Some kind of sleeve fitting over the whole thing? Not my area of expertise, but I can see where things went sideways (pun intended). Always easier to see it in hindsight.

They probably tested the integrity of the joint design using way more stress than they expected it to be under in actual use, but the problem with that is that in actual use, it would be subjected to smaller stresses over time that add up. Like Titan, which was fine the first half dozen times it went under.

Hence my rant about periodic inspection. And yes! Sensors are cheap these days. And cameras. Even an off-the-shelf home security camera system could have caught this if they put the cameras in the right places. 😄

image.thumb.png.1e842712099d6ee289cd69e2ada08bd6.png

39 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

And yes! Sensors are cheap these days.

Should anyone need high-quality sensors, my friend (and ex-business partner) is a main contact for Fraba (he was previously with Baumer and Parker-Hannifin, who we were strategic partners with, back when we had an alternative energy start-up).  Hit me up for details!  🙂

Edited by craigb
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

In other businesses, the job of a salesmen is usually performed by a person which generally knows what they're doing.

I guess you've never been to a Guitar Center, ya?  🤣😂 🤣😂  🤣😂  🤣😂 

5 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Cables you own always come in two lengths:

- Short enough to not reach when you need it.
- Long enough to be a burden.

Me to anyone wanting to "help" roll-up the cables: "Do you know how to roadie-wrap?  If not, then please don't help!"

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 3:53 PM, User 905133 said:

Re: joints pulling away due to stress.  I have had midi gear usb ports get stressed so much that the joint pulled off (and sometimes ripped off) the board. 

This is why I really don't like jacks and controls that are only physically held in place by their PCB solder joints rather being fastened to the panel.

The Fender Blues Jr. I am looking at you.