Knowing what you know now about Creating Music using a DAW and a computer

On 6/3/2023 at 2:08 AM, craigb said:

One ended up with a pretty cool studio on his yacht!

440-MED400-3.jpg?format=1500w

Given the choice between that lovely lady holding the tennis racket you posted in another thread or this studio . If I had to choose ...

I can't answer ..I'm stumped :P

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Given the choice between that lovely lady holding the tennis racket you posted in another thread or this studio . If I had to choose ...

I can't answer ..I'm stumped :P

Kenny

Just to point out the obvious...  If you had THAT studio, the lady with the nice rack(et) would show up too (even if you are stumped!). 😁

• Haha 1

Yep , stumped or not I would be willing to bet  that nice looking lady with the impressive rack will show up with her new girlfriend and they will both ask me to look over the boats railing because they thought they saw a Killer Whale swimming alongside the starboard side of my 50 yard  SuperYacht 

Once I lean over and take a look to see if there is a Killer Whale , they  will throw me overboard , take my Super Yacht and proceed to record a session of Yoko's Greatest Hits and Duets in my impressive studio ...

No Thanks! I have made up my mind .She can keep her impressive rack and her Vegan girlfriend.  I'm sticking with Flipper !

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 2:08 AM, craigb said:

Oh yeah...  I'd tell my past self to NOT sell stock to go on a 39-day Europe trip back in 1981, but to use it to buy Microsoft stock instead!  Then I would advise myself to NOT buy anything on credit and to just pay for it in full.

microsoft.jpg

So after posting this, like me, you went all in on Oceangate submersibles stock ya ?

Edited by Sheens
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sheens said:

So after posting this, like me, you went all in on Oceangate submersibles stock ya ?

It is unfortunate and almost remarkable how much press came out over this, but what I found most interesting was the dirty laundry that got aired. There is a simple reason that titanium is not used in pressure-vessel design... sure it can handle incredible pressures, but only a few times before it begins to propagate microscopic cracks and lose its depth rating. The CEO bragging about cutting corners and blowing off the deep submergence community made me rather irate when I read them.

An adage used in the submarine force that my first boss quoted often was, "The stupid shall be punished," but it is rather horrific for that punishment to befall others.

• Like 2

I've only been on a sub a couple of times (a BIG nuclear type out of Point Loma in San Diego - back when I was helping code the guidance system for the Tomahawk Cruise missile... Yay. 🙄).  All I can say is that the thought of being deep under water in that claustrophobic tin can scared the begeebus out of me! 😬

I don't even want to think about what those passengers were going through towards the end!  😢

Edited by craigb

There was definitely no suffering involved in the situation; it was instantaneous. Water pressure is roughly 44 psi/100' of depth, so when it lost contact it was seeing close to 3 tons per square inch (roughly 5500 psi). I got a few calls about the incident yesterday that only left me more irate at the CEO based on information published thus far.

I have always used the same demonstration for folks over the years about brittle fracture. If you take a simple straw, pinch both ends, and then spin your hands to roll the volume down to about an inch; someone else can flick that part with their fingernail and it will explode. It very much wants to break, but just needs that little extra oomph to get it over the edge. It is always sudden and catastrophic.

I worked with a gentleman years ago that I have always considered the father of fracture mechanics... he calculated stress fracture out and used it long before it existed as a specialty. He was 50 years older than me but used to stop by and chat because he considered me "old school" (I always took that as a compliment). One thing he said when x-ray machines were introduced for NDT to find internal fractures always stuck with me. The sales rep was bragging about the smallest crack they can detect and he stopped them and said, "I don't care about that. What is the largest flaw you can miss??" The CEO firing someone (if that report is true) and saying that NDT on the hull was not possible just struck another nerve for me.

Sorry for the thread hijack Kenny :( One of the guys I worked with just retired after spending his entire career in the DSRV (Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle) community - the folks on call 24/7 to rescue submarine crews regardless of nationality. For anyone who has ever been involved with the submarine community, you know we always take incidents like these to heart, and sometimes personally.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 11:39 AM, rfssongs said:

Better:

image.png.0b64fdc9904513463bcf1884306a5b55.png

Yeah, it certainly takes a different breed to be in the submarine community. The news on that just gets worse, since the initial pics of recovery showed a de-laminated section (of a 5" hull), but no one in the news seems to know what they are looking at or saying. The appeal to authority fallacy of putting James Cameron out there as a materials expert took the cake for me. For anyone interested, wiki has a decent write up of HY-80 steel that is used for submarine construction (and why).

I may need to stop reading news for my own sanity, the recent roller coaster "crack" was another one. The use of the word crack versus break just comes across as intent to downplay the seriousness of what a spectator videoed. Field failures are the ultimate failures any engineer can suffer (specifically with loss of life), but there seems to be a growing cavalier attitude towards design.

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The vast majority of YouTube producers' teachings have two objectives:

- Selling you a product.

- Selling you a service.

Which is different from every other business how?  🙂

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 8:05 AM, craigb said:

Back on topic?

Knowing what I know now...

I'm staying the hell out of small submersibles!!! 😮

I wouldn't do that on the notion that they're somehow inherently dangerous. If it triggers stuff like claustrophobia (which it does in me, to a degree), then yeah.

The human brain is wired to ascribe way too much danger to activities based on single anecdotes. This makes perfect evolutionary sense: if the tribe finds out that Zorg was killed by a crocodile in the local river, and heeds that as a warning, better rate of survival.

Things like this make the news because they happen so infrequently. Around 100 people died that day in automobile accidents in the US. How many people have ever died in mini subs? Fatal car crashes are common, so not news unless a famous person is involved.

Stay the hell away from experimental, uncertified small submersibles that don't get rigorously inspected between trips, for sure.

Made of laminates and titanium? Not a matter of whether but when. So many craft have been lost or crippled due to undetected fractures and delamination that came about after too many trips without inspection. Anyone who's ever had an aging skateboard deck break in half can understand this principle: stiff materials can only take so much flexing before they fail.

On 7/2/2023 at 4:36 AM, mettelus said:

I may need to stop reading news for my own sanity, the recent roller coaster "crack" was another one.

Carowinds has some great rides, beautiful park (at least 45 years ago when I went), but this speaks more toward lax inspections by park personnel than it does anything else.

Note that the design was sound enough to have that joint fail and still run all those trains every day without the track coming down. The joint was under compression and when it deformed, the top of the pole shifted to that beam. Not sure that was intentional by the designers, but either way, it's good "if this fails, what will happen?"

What is inexcusable is that park operations and maintenance missed it.

When I was an operations supervisor at a theme park 43 years ago, our coaster and flume operators came in an hour early every day to walk the length of the tracks for visual inspection. Any anomaly was to be reported. If any ride started making an unusual noise, it was to be reported. Considering how many of our flat rides were friggin' retired touring carny rides, we certainly needed to be vigilant.

This should have been caught within 24 hours of a crack first being visible, before it had a chance to become a break. What this implies is that the rest of the rides at Carowinds are now in question, and if I were the local authorities, I'd get some inspectors out there now to check everything. Including and especially an audit of the park's internal inspection practices and ride operator training.

(I know that modern looping coasters can't have their entire tracks "walked," but there are things like scopes and cameras that can be used instead)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Carowinds has some great rides, beautiful park (at least 45 years ago when I went), but this speaks more toward lax inspections by park personnel than it does anything else.

Note that the design was sound enough to have that joint fail and still run all those trains every day without the track coming down. The joint was under compression and when it deformed, the top of the pole shifted to that beam. Not sure that was intentional by the designers, but either way, it's good "if this fails, what will happen?"

What is inexcusable is that park operations and maintenance missed it.

When I was an operations supervisor at a theme park 43 years ago, our coaster and flume operators came in an hour early every day to walk the length of the tracks for visual inspection. Any anomaly was to be reported. If any ride started making an unusual noise, it was to be reported. Considering how many of our flat rides were friggin' retired touring carny rides, we certainly needed to be vigilant.

This should have been caught within 24 hours of a crack first being visible, before it had a chance to become a break. What this implies is that the rest of the rides at Carowinds are now in question, and if I were the local authorities, I'd get some inspectors out there now to check everything. Including and especially an audit of the park's internal inspection practices and ride operator training.

(I know that modern looping coasters can't have their entire tracks "walked," but there are things like scopes and cameras that can be used instead)

Why does the above remind me of this musical equivalent? 🤣

BadAshlee.jpg

• Haha 1