Can't open project that has plugin from old computer

I have a Cakewalk project that used Pheonix Verb by Exponential Audio. On my new computer, I upgraded to a new computer. When I open the project, I get the error message - see png file. When I put in the activation code for the product, it says that it's only allowed on one computer (my old broken one). When I go to hide the plugin inside Cakewalk's Plugin Manager, this doesn't help. How can I fix this so I can at least open the project?

2023-05-09.png

16 hours ago, Laurence Levin said:

When I open the project, I get the error message - see png file.

This is not an error message.

The DAW is trying to load the plug-in because it is referenced in the project.

The plug-in launched a screen to initiate its iLok activation (the "error message").

Excluding plug-ins prevents them from being visible in plug-in layouts. Excluding plug-ins does nothing for the references in existing projects.

If you cannot transfer the license from the original machine to the new machine, you can use safe mode to skip loading any plug-in into a project.

To invoke safe mode, hold down the SHIFT key while opening the project.

Why can't you just click Quit in the plugin message? It appears to be asking for user input there.
If you skip the project should continue loading but the plugin will be not active which shouldn't affect anything. You can then delete the plugin from the project.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Why can't you just click Quit in the plugin message? It appears to be asking for user input there.
If you skip the project should continue loading but the plugin will be not active which shouldn't affect anything. You can then delete the plugin from the project.

I've done that in the past, but now it says that it can't open the project without the plugin. When I press Quit, I get the attached error screen. It brings me back to the previous screen that tells me activation is required. Ugh. I tried contacting Izotope which used to bundle this plugin from Exponential Audio. 

2023-05-09 (2).png

Can you de-authorize the installation on the old computer using iLok License Manager on the new computer and then activate it?  Well, I just answered my own question.  I have an unbootable computer that has used some iLok activations, and when I try to deactivate them on that computer (fortunately they all had remaining activations available), I get a message that says:

Source location is not accessible

Please run iLok License Manager on "UPSTAIRS" if you want to perform any operations on this location.

If you can no longer access this machine and would like to have your licenses back, please contact the appropriate publishers for a machine activation reset.

So how about trying what they suggest and contacting the plugin publisher? 

Edited by Steve Moddelmog
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, Steve Moddelmog said:

So how about trying what they suggest and contacting the plugin publisher? 

Izotope didn't respond to my query several months ago but they did this time and they transferred my license to my iLok account. Thank you everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Aren't all the Exponential stuff authorized through the iZotope app these days?

BTW - This thread might not be helpful for learning Cakewalk. 

Yes, but they are authorized through iLok, not the iZotope portal. For some reason the licenses for my Exponential plugins didn't appear on my iLok account, so I couldn't switch them to my new computer. 

On 5/11/2023 at 9:19 AM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Aren't all the Exponential stuff authorized through the iZotope app these days?

Not yet. I don't know if they ever will be.

The only Exponential-branded products they still sell are Stratus/Stratus 3D and Symphony/Symphony 3D (I have an iLok'd license that allows me to run just one of the above 4 at a time).

Neoverb, which supposedly includes the Exponential algorithms wrapped in a typically resource-gobbling iZotope package, shows up in my iZotope Product Portal and behaves like any other iZotope product license-wise.

• Like 1