Change clip speed as with a turntable

Bronxio

Hi, I've known ways to adapt an imported sample with different bpm than the project, and that's cool. But always keeps the tone.

Is there any way to adapt the clip changing the speed in the same way than a turntable, speeding up or down the pitchfader? So the tone changes naturally too

One caution to be aware of with Vinyl. Whenever that is enabled it will create audio even with the transport stopped. Is not necessarily bad, but important to know when you open an old project and think your DAW is acting wonky on you.

Edited by mettelus

I've used Vinyl quite a bit over the years, and while the spin down is cool, there is NO spin up, unfortunately.
I have made due with an NI Reaktor patch and some manipulation with The Finger (also a Reaktor Ens.)

Once upon a time I saw a plugin that emulated both the startup and slowdown/stop of an old tape machine but memory fails me now...

I have used (but don't own) the (wait for it...) WAVES SoundShifter to emulate startup/slowdown, but it doesn't sound like a record or tape machine.

EDIT: I remembered one that I had bookmarked:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2020/06/01/wavesfactory-cassette-transport-friday-free-plug-in

EDIT2: also this I've heard works;

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2023/02/27/eas-audio-tapestop/#:~:text=TapeStop is a simple audio,stop or vinyl-stop effect.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

mmm... couldn't produce the spin up - 

Once stopped after a spin out, I get no audio from the plugin...

My bad. I'm confusing it with Arturia's TAPE Mello-Fi, which also has a tape stop button, but it allows to adjust the ramp up time from playing the tape back from a stop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

That will reverse all of the transients and sound nothing like a startup.

Assuming it’s not a startup of an opening chord like a guitar strum, keyboard chord, or other melodic element. If it’s an attempt to mimic releasing  something like analog tape coming up to speed at a studio 15 ips to begin a song, it would be pretty quick in terms of reversing a slew of transients. I’m thinking ‘startup’ in terms of a song startup. 

55 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

My bad. I'm confusing it with Arturia's TAPE Mello-Fi, which also has a tape stop button, but it allows to adjust the ramp up time from playing the tape back from a stop.

You can apparently  grab Arturia Melofi  (usually $99) for free by taking a 14-day Loopcloud trial (the offer ends May 31st, 2023). https://www.loopcloud.com/cloud/subscriptions/plans?a_aid=5241029371df5

@Billy86

I have the Arturia Mello-Fi and it only does a tape stop emulation. Variable from 1/4 bar to 8 bars. No startup.
And re: your earlier post; if you think of an intro (any kind) as ADSR and you do a tape stop on it, when reversed it will be a speeding up RSDA, which may be musical, but is not the same as a real startup emulation.

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yes, it works a treat, and it's FREE. The free bundle also comes with over 30 other useful FX, including a reverser and a pitch shifter.

And I paid for it years ago...

• Thanks 1