Bitwig 5.1 Final is here... Not a deal

ralfrobert

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I'll assume this is sarcasm.   It would be rare to have a thoughtless fanboy post on this site

I've stated my reasons for liking it. You've basically said "LOL WUP".

I can understand people steering clear from anything that's even vaguely looking like a subscription, but it's absolutely nothing like WUP when what you're getting for your money is a million updates with every release.

• Like 2

I loved Ableton Live (10 then 11 Std) for a while, coming from Reason then Reaper then FL Studio and briefly trying Cubase Pro. Eventually certain annoyances with Live got to me and I decided to try Bitwig. It was as if they specifically decided to fix the things that were broken in Ableton while keeping most of the rest the same. 

The only thing I miss is built in retrospective recording. 

• Like 1

I was hoping that I wouldn't like Bitwig 8-track. But I did. :)

I really didn't need another DAW, but the Clip Launcher in parallel with the Arranger timeline was very appealing, as is the plugin browser arrangement.

But thankfully, Bitwig saved me some money by limiting my plugins to 2, so that I couldn't really use it enough to justify the expense of upgrading to Studio. I am already fully invested in Ableton Live 11 Suite, so it's not actually something that I would NEED to do. 😉

Edited by abacab

Beta 3 is here. 

Changes in Bitwig Studio 5, Beta 3

IMPROVEMENTS

Browser: The ordering of search results has been improved, with direct name matches coming first, then consistently sorting other results by kind (device, preset, etc.) 

Templates are now listed in side-browser, and are available via a Templates source (under All Sources > by Kind)

FIXES

Collections weren't showing (or accepting new) VSTs [32044]

Fixed crash when switching a Polymer module that is targeted by a project-level modulator [31812]

Some large projects could crash the audio engine when loading [31352]

Users can't save project after deleting modulator in project device [32043]

Segments Grid/Polymer module & modulator: Fixed inconsistencies in release behavior in bipolar mode, etc.

"Add automation lane" context menu entry was missing for project-level modulators [32054]

Fixed crash when copying modulators at the track- or project-level [32018] [32021]

Fixed crash when choosing template to use as default template, or when using the New from Template… action [32003] [32053]

Dropdown choosers on remote control pages were not displaying the selected value [32046]

Transfer Grid module: Would sometimes not allow other modules to come near it 

Longer sound package names were not centered in browsers [31921]

Slice in Place dialog buttons looked broken [32045]

Track inspectors were too wide in non-English localizations

u-he CLAP plug-ins: Fixed a crash when using right-click to Init

Windows CLAP plug-ins: Were sometimes not reloading

VST2: Several plug-ins now work again in version 5 [32042] 

Nektar controller extensions: were often crashing instantly [32009]

I m really  intrigued by this daw ... need it really give a try ...but the more i get older , the more i think it s pure waist of time ... ( learning from scratch a new daw while already mastering one ) 

Edited by Zo
  • Like 2

Beta 4 is here. 

Changes in Bitwig Studio 5, Beta 4 [released 21 April 2023] 

NEW FEATURES

Segments modulator/module: Now includes a timebase option of minutes 

When setting the rate–timebase to 1 minute, zooming out the Segments curve editor will cleanly shows minute divisions

Ø Split Grid module: Now has a Phase Shift Direction parameter, for whether the successive out ports add to the original phase (+ [Plus]) or subtract from it (− [Minus]) 

Phase Shift Direction can be set from the Inspector Panel, or by right-clicking on the module

IMPROVEMENTS

Browser: Location filter now includes your Collections & Smart Collections, so those are readily available again

Browser: The Location filter is now sorted better, including user locations filed under their type (Sound Content, Music, and Plug-ins)

Various Gain labels in devices have been clarified to better describe their position in the signal flow

FIXES

Bypassed devices were using too much CPU [32174]

Increased the size of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean fonts

Browser fixes / adjustments: Use current selections (previously Remember selected filters) options now allow you to change the default Source and filters for various browsing contexts, available by right-clicking in the menu [32041]

Once you have changed a default, an option is also present to Restore defaults for current context

Having many collections didn't scale well in the interface [32098]

Wavetable browser now has the Import Wavetables… option again, available via right-click [32091]

Impulse browser now has the Import Impulses… option again, available via right-click [32091]

Creator settings weren't being recalled properly in defaults/snapshots/smart-collections

In some 'tree' views (Location, Device filters), the root node was collapsable but shouldn't be

No longer shows Tag filter columns when only Impulses are shown

Fixed an occasional crash when opening the Pop-up Browser to swap a device that was somehow not in the project anymore [32014]

Sort by Recent in package manager was not working correctly

The Grid: Pop-out Editor views now work when the Grid editor window is undocked / floating [32177]

Better auto-positioning of Pop-out Editors when used in track-level modulators

Segments (Envelope) modulator/module: Would crash when dragging in a curve file from the Browser Panel

Log (Math) Grid module, etc.: Was sometimes outputting invalid numbers, causing audio to break [32096]

Freq→Pitch (Pitch) Grid module, etc.: Was sometimes outputting invalid numbers, causing bad audio behavior [32094]

Ø Bend (Phase) Grid module: Was producing strange artifacts at the 100 % setting [32192]

Audio would stop when switching projects (without transport playing) [32089] 

Edit File Metadata… function for curves (BWCURVE files) in the Browser Panel was not working [32160]

Dragging a clip from the Launcher to Arranger would not bring CC automation (regression) [32162]

Crash when swapping Grid modules that were modulated from a higher level [31240]

Was crashing when dragging globally modulated track to a new project [30786]

Fixed a crash when using JACK audio system [31962]

Fixed a crash when saving project [32049]

Fixed a crash when copying project or group modulator automation events to clipboard [32117]

You can now remove/restore the user defaults to the factory defaults

Adjusted the Poly Grid, FX Grid, and Polymer sleep threshold settings

When duplicating a device, track modulator were not being duplicated [32114]

Fixed some truncation issues that showed up in the Japanese localization

No longer shows an error when saving a project that contained a project modulator that was automated and then deleted [32176]

Wrong page scaling in Remote Controls editor

Manually mapping a hardware control to a device parameter was crashing [32002]

On 4/12/2023 at 6:59 AM, Esteban Villanova said:

I think the pricing is actually fine. You can rent to own it on Splice too.

The Splice option looks interesting. I am not sure how often Bitwig goes on sale and how much the discount is but going the Splice route, you basically pay retail price and get 25 months of updates. Or am I missing something here? How much does it normally cost to extend your upgrade plan?

12 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

The Splice option looks interesting. I am not sure how often Bitwig goes on sale and how much the discount is but going the Splice route, you basically pay retail price and get 25 months of updates. Or am I missing something here? How much does it normally cost to extend your upgrade plan?

Upgrade is $100 for a year, I think. If you have an active Splice plan you get an extra year at the end of the 25 months, or I remember reading something to that effect on Splice.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Upgrade is $100 for a year, I think. If you have an active Splice plan you get an extra year at the end of the 25 months, or I remember reading something to that effect on Splice.

So $400 for three years and one month of support. That is cheaper than getting Bitwig on sale in December for $100 off and then extending your support as soon as it runs out for two more years.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

So $400 for three years and one month of support. That is cheaper than getting Bitwig on sale in December for $100 off and then extending your support as soon as it runs out for two more years.

Yeah, but I don't know the requirements for the extra year. Could be that you have to be subscribed to Splice when you start rent-to-own, when you're done paying, or during the entire time... Will have to check soon. I'm 10 days into my 30 day trial and then there's a 14 day trial for rent-to-own.

• ralfrobert changed the title to Bitwig 5.1 Final is here... Not a deal