AAS Chromaphone 3 Spring Sale (Exclusive)

cclarry

After the Waves stuff, from their ethically problematic marketing and policies to their short lived attempt to switch over to subscription-only, I feel it's useful to call out the opposite side of the spectrum: customer-centric developers that have great policies and great customer service.  I don't know how long I've been a customer of Applied Acoustic Systems, but I'm guessing it's something like 20 years and they've consistently been a great company to deal with and super flexible and accommodating when you have any issues. If we created a list of the developers we've had great experiences with that we would recommend to others, AAS would absolutely be on my list as one of the best. 

• Like 10
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

After the Waves stuff, from their ethically problematic marketing and policies to their short lived attempt to switch over to subscription-only, I feel it's useful to call out the opposite side of the spectrum: customer-centric developers that have great policies and great customer service.  I don't know how long I've been a customer of Applied Acoustic Systems, but I'm guessing it's something like 20 years and they've consistently been a great company to deal with and super flexible and accommodating when you have any issues. If we created a list of the developers we've had great experiences with that we would recommend to others, AAS would absolutely be on my list as one of the best. 

And they give away soundpacks every year !

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LAGinz said:

I love it too. Just wish it wasn’t so CPU hungry.

If you are referring to Chromaphone 3, then using both the "Layer A"  and the "Layer B"in a patch essentially doubles the CPU load right away. The older versions only had a single layer. A + B is like running 2 synth engines in parallel.

Using all the bells and whistles, it's quite possible to create a patch that overwhelms your CPU. Turn off a layer, take a look at unison voices, as well as polyphony, where you might be able to dial a patch back a bit. I realize that is just a basic workaround, but a math intensive physical modeling synth like this is going to require some extra CPU horsepower... comes with the territory, I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

16 hours ago, abacab said:

If you are referring to Chromaphone 3, then using both the "Layer A"  and the "Layer B"in a patch essentially doubles the CPU load right away. The older versions only had a single layer. A + B is like running 2 synth engines in parallel.

Using all the bells and whistles, it's quite possible to create a patch that overwhelms your CPU. Turn off a layer, take a look at unison voices, as well as polyphony, where you might be able to dial a patch back a bit. I realize that is just a basic workaround, but a math intensive physical modeling synth like this is going to require some extra CPU horsepower... comes with the territory, I suppose.

I also found when I demo'd it that the lush (often too much so) reverb and delay tails in the factory patches sucked up a lot of CPU. Turn off some FX and use your own reverb and things settle down. If I bought it, I'm not much of a synth programmer, so it would be to have more control over the baked in FX than I get with A|A|S Player. If Player just let you turn off reverb, I'd have much less desire for the full version, which is most likely why Player doesn't allow it.

I do love the way that Chromaphone sounds, but I already have so many great synths! $79 is a very tempting price (I almost pulled the trigger on it for $99 a while back).

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I do love the way that Chromaphone sounds, but I already have so many great synths! $79 is a very tempting price (I almost pulled the trigger on it for $99 a while back).

Be careful if you do buy it on sale. Or you might end up buying ALL of the rest of the sounds to complete the collection for it like I did! ;)

• Confused 1