Cinesamples "glitch" sale up to 90%ish off

jngnz

On 3/28/2023 at 12:17 PM, Christian Jones said:

Cinepiano e.g. isn't the best deal ever @ $81ish as it's  normally $200, but Voxos choir is a good deal @ $81ish as it's usually $500 

I heard about the glitch, but I have pretty much everything I want from Cinesamples until you mentioned this.....  

I couldn't resist that.  thanks!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Do you have have Cineperc? I don't really make orchestral or trailer music but I've been trying to justify getting it though I don't know what I'd use it for 

I actually found it favorably compares to Berlin Percussion by orchestral tools.  The big drums sound good.  Now I originally got into orchestral libraries because I wanted to add orchestration to my rock songs.   Those big drums, and maybe some blackhole ? And you have a great bass beat.   I use timpanis a lot as well.  Too many of the virtual bass drums sound tinny to me.   And?  Everyone's taste is different. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lizzie Foster said:

I heard about the glitch, but I have pretty much everything I want from Cinesamples until you mentioned this.....  

I couldn't resist that.  thanks!  

Yeah Voxos is the only one I picked up this far and probably the only one I'll get. What about voices of war, do you have that?

3 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Yeah I'm watching a Voices of War walkthrough and the dude wasn't able to sell me on it especially now that I have voxos 

It is good for some things.   I've pretty much only heard good things about VOXOS, but Voices of War only come up once in a while for specific uses.  And there is a lot of competition, like Storm Choir. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Hoarding orchestra libraries is no different than hoarding plugins.   I guess the + to Cinesamples is the Kontakt format and has no machine limit like the other 2.  With Kontakt you can remove libraries much easier than other samplers.

Wait what? Kontakt Player libraries are a huge PITA to remove.

Just a little reminder about Cinesamples pricing and sales.  Not too long ago they significantly raised all the prices in their store.  $99 to $149, for example. They did it right before Black Friday and without any warning.  

For example, back in 2016, Tina Guo Legato was $99 and there was a 40% off sale at Black Friday and I bought it for $59.    Now it is $149, so during a 40% off sale it is $89 and during a 50% off sale it's $74.50.  Both are not much of a discount from the old list price. 

This was probably a glitch, but then they probably saw they were moving a bit of product at a price they were willing to accept.  Letting the glitch go for awhile lets them have the best of both worlds--making some money but not devaluing the list price by officially selling anything for less.

I remember well that there was a "glitch" at 8dio and they sold a vocal library for some insane price like $18.  A total mistake, so I jumped on it, and felt very guilty for taking advantage of their mistake.   But over time, practically everything they sell has hit a similar ridiculous low level at one point or another.  It's become the standard way they price. 

All of us on this forum know that when we buy anything it may turn up for a crazy amount less during a sale.  I'm usually okay with it, but sometimes I admit I feel "What?  Ten percent of what I paid?"  50% or 60% off is cool but 10% makes me feel like a sucker. 

Over the years, I've started to feel that getting a good deal is only partially about the lowest price.  Am I buying something on sale that I believe will always go on sale at about that price?   Will this product appreciate in musical usefulness to me through free updates? (ie Falcon, Omnisphere, Pigments)  So many companies just sell their old shit that they've completely recouped on eons ago, and never provide any improvements--at best they fix bugs or make them roll with the Apple punches.   I've often gotten an amazing "deal" on something I've never used in a finished piece. In fact it just sits there idly on one of my expensive hard drives. On the other hand,  I have paid full price for a lot of Indiginus libraries and used them over and over. To me, that's bang for my buck. I paid the list price, but it was lower than the sales price of stuff that wasn't as musically useful for the kind of stuff I compose. .    

For example, I've used the libraries from the NI Session Guitarist on more pieces on anything I own except for Omnisphere.  So as long as NI adds more of them when they come out with a new Komplete, I know I want to upgrade in the summer sale.   I feel confident that the new Komplete is going to have a lot of value for me, and the other stuff in Komplete is just like getting a bunch of cool instruments for free. I never would have bought Butch Vig, but I have used it often.

Another VI I have used a lot is Tina Guo Legato, which I consider a classic.  Cinesamples is indeed a great company.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Just a little reminder about Cinesamples pricing and sales.  Not too long ago they significantly raised all the prices in their store.  $99 to $149, for example. They did it right before Black Friday and without any warning.  

Very true. But a little further back than that, they had back-to-back sales for at least a year. When the prices went up, they also had a website redesign, 'streamlined' their catalogue, and decided to make everything Player-compatible. I suspect they're stable, but I don't think the price hike was them deciding to start being greedy.

Not sure if it still applies, but I remember reading a while ago that part of the price goes towards giving royalties to the musicians that worked on the libraries too.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:06 AM, jngnz said:

Wait what? Kontakt Player libraries are a huge PITA to remove.

You can remove them by deleting the folder, and registry key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\<LIBRARY NAME>

2 minutes ago, antler said:

I'm on Mac, so it's deleting a file in some silly folder instead of a registry key. But yeah, I kind of exaggerated when I said huge PITA, but I just don't understand why they can't have an uninstall button in Native Access.

• Like 1

I'm reminded of the iZotope "glitch" several months ago when I picked up the upgrade MPS 5 Advanced for $150 despite not technically having qualifying licenses. It went on for some time, iZotope had to have been aware of it.

Then IIRC, it went on sale at PB for a similar price with a much smaller requirement, maybe it was any iZotope product? 🙄Something else that these "glitches" do is create a sense of urgency: I better take advantage of it before they figure out what's going on! Then it strangely goes on for a week even though they must be aware of it....

I jumped on it quickly during the glitch because shoot, just Neoverb, Stratus, and RX10 are worth at least that, but I have to admit that the only thing I've used so far is RX10, on one project. Not that I won't eventually use the rest of the goodies, it's just that it's a lot of software to figure out.

7 hours ago, antler said:

You can remove them from Windows ADD/REMOVE Programs.

You can also just delete the folders and have them hidden in Kontakt.

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'm reminded of the iZotope "glitch" several months ago when I picked up the upgrade MPS 5 Advanced for $150 despite not technically having qualifying licenses. It went on for some time, iZotope had to have been aware of it.

Then IIRC, it went on sale at PB for a similar price with a much smaller requirement, maybe it was any iZotope product? 🙄Something else that these "glitches" do is create a sense of urgency: I better take advantage of it before they figure out what's going on! Then it strangely goes on for a week even though they must be aware of it....

I jumped on it quickly during the glitch because shoot, just Neoverb, Stratus, and RX10 are worth at least that, but I have to admit that the only thing I've used so far is RX10, on one project. Not that I won't eventually use the rest of the goodies, it's just that it's a lot of software to figure out.

Was that the same glitch where you could get the Everything Bundle crossgrade for $199 without owning anything else? I got that, sold RX 10 for $199 and still got to keep RX 9 even though 10 was a free upgrade. Then I sold Ozone 10 for $149 and Izotope "transferred" it but forgot to remove it from my account.

Made $149 and still got to keep basically everything.

• Great Idea 1

18 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Was that the same glitch where you could get the Everything Bundle crossgrade for $199 without owning anything else?

It might have been. IIRC, I compared the offerings in the MPS vs. Everything and either saw that I already had licenses for the difference. Stutter Edit, etc. I think I even have more iZotope products than there are in the Everything collection due to their discontinuing stuff like Trash, Iris, Breaktweaker. and various flavors of Exponential reverbs. I re-posted it over on VI-Control and people went nuts.

I like iZotope's stuff, especially the UI's, but they seem to pay little attention to getting their code to run efficiently. Maybe not using enough GPU and the CPU has to draw all of the pretty faces? Neoverb, which supposedly uses the algos from the Exponential line, uses way more audio engine than the Exponential Reverbs, even after it's finished its analysis.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

You can remove them from Windows ADD/REMOVE Programs.

Not always. Either that, or somethings up with some of my libraries. For example I've got Shevannai, but it doesn't appear in my Add/Remove programs list.

7 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

You can also just delete the folders and have them hidden in Kontakt.

Thanks. Forgot about that option.