Tambourine MIDI grooves? NOT A DEAL

X-53mph

21 hours ago, abacab said:

Here I thought this was going to be a spoof on tambourine playing!! But he was serious!!

[edit] I never knew there "advanced" techniques of tambourine!! So I did learn something!!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Here I thought this was going to be a spoof on tambourine playing!! But he was serious!!

LOL!!!

Apparently there is something called musicianship that is required to be a real tambourine player! And here I had been thinking all along it was just something to keep a lead singer's hands busy and look cool... 🙄

So how many different articulations would you need on a virtual instrument to get it right???

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 9:08 AM, jude77 said:

This one is a bit pricey ($60), but worth a look.  It has some rhythms to get you started, and you can program your own.

https://www.wavesfactory.com/kontakt-libraries/sharine/

Sharine is great because it includes the pre-roll you hear just before the tambourine strikes. It sounds pretty dog-gone real. It includes several patterns that you can edit to suit your needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

how many different articulations would you need on a virtual instrument to get it right???

At least 100gb worth!! And that's just the nickle plated jingles. For the brass and bronze jingles.... whew! We talking big libs!!

Then we gotta take into consideration the articulations needed for the tambourine head. Mule skin, sheep skin, plastic, coated, uncoated.......

:)

Edited by Grem
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2023 at 9:49 PM, Philip G Hunt said:

Not a deal: This is a request.

Does anyone know of any MIDI grooves that could work with either BFD 3 or Addictive Drums tambourines?

I'm looking for some great tambourine variations, perhaps a little bit groovy or Mazzy Star like. Something that sounds real, without sounding too much like a machine.

Thanks for any help.

I know you asked about MIDI grooves, and this is a Kontakt VI by InSession Audio, but I thought you might find it interesting and informative. There are links to a couple of videos that showcase what makes this VI different, and a lot more like the real thing. I have SD3 and AD2, but use this exclusively for shakers.

Shimmer Shake Strike 2

Edited by John Maar
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, paulo said:

Impressive.

I'm still on Creative Triangle Techniques for Beginners.

I once watched Roger Hodgson with Supertramp in a 70's concert play a triangle hung from his mic stand. Quite a show, as he teased setting up the accessory for quite a bit before he actually played it. The crowd was begging for the big drop! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I once watched Roger Hodgson with Supertramp in a 70's concert play a triangle hung from his mic stand. Quite a show, as he teased setting up the accessory for quite a bit before he actually played it. The crowd was begging for the big drop! :)

Their tour in '77 of Even In The Quietest Moments (recorded at Caribou Ranch in Nederland, CO, home of the Frozen Dead Guy festival (fun times!)) was spectacular. Loved the video they played behind the closing song, Crime of the Century. I was on the floor, about 30 rows back, right in front of the FOH riser. Missed, or more likely, forgot about the triangle. Those were some smokey days. 😉

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, John Maar said:

Missed, or more likely, forgot about the triangle.

My memory is a bit foggy as well. But one of the most unique things about Supertramp was their attention to detail. Quite a memorable performance!

I forget which song it was, but as I recall the triangle setup took several minutes, and the result was a single "ting". Right on the beat! LOL!!! 🤣

• Like 1

Ok, back to the subject - Wasn't there a paint brush in the piano roll? It painted patterns. Is that thing still there?? Found it ->F9  It's under Draw-> Pattern. 

Here are some nice free ones.

Free Midi 

Go to LATIN->

https://mididrumfiles.com/tag/midi-notes/

Free Audio Shaker and Tambourine loops

https://files.elphnt.io/file/ELPHNT/free-downloads/SHAKE.zip

There are plenty more.

Edited by Max Arwood
Deleted one that wasn't very good
  • Thanks 1