What is you current favorite bourbon, beer or spirit?

hockeyjx

19 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Who'd have guessed a serious thread about alcohol could degenerate into a discussion of hockey?

This is what happens when you invite a Canadian to the table.:D

I was in Germany once during the Stanley Cup finals, staying with a German friend. He had like 400 channels on his TV and we stumbled onto a hockey match. Neither of us knew anything about the sport, but had a blast making up the rules based on what we saw on the screen. Apparently, it's like soccer/football except that injuries are not incidental to the game, but rather the point of it.

Reminds of that one time in Moscow, when I was waiting in line at the grocery and there were a few very happy fellows behind me buying vodka. 

Them: You Canada?!

Me: Yes.

Them: Ah!! You hockey?

Me: Yes.

Them: Russia hockey too. You friend!!! Look, look: Vodka! Canada hockey, Canada friend! Friend Vodka!

Say what you will about stereotypes, they sure can bring people together at times. lol 

Edited by Rain
  • Haha 2

On 11/3/2022 at 9:36 PM, Rain said:

I've rooted for Boston and?!? Montreal

imagine some serious therapy was needed when they played each other 😄

On 11/4/2022 at 7:39 AM, bitflipper said:

Neither of us knew anything about the sport, but had a blast making up the rules

try explaining baseball to your English friends, and then have them explain cricket...

that should keep this thread on topic....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jackson white said:

imagine some serious therapy was needed when they played each other 😄

That was the case tonight - Boston was playing Toronto, and the Leafs won. Techically, I should be happy for the winner no matter what.

BUT Montreal was playing Vegas (whom I really don't like) and lost. It would not be so bad if it did not mean that Vegas, who had the same number of wins as Boston before this game, now has one more win.

So it's like Boston was double defeated. This negates all the rest.

Therefore, I'm miserable. ;)

That therapist's got his work cut out for him, I tell you.

Edited by Rain
  • Haha 1

Another funny hockey-related anecdote...

My  neighbor to the left is a Canadian guy named Chris. He roots for Boston and Toronto.  

Then there's me, also Chris, also Canadian, and also a huge Boston fan. 

Then a couple of years ago, a new neighbor moved into the house to the right of mine. His name was also Chris, not Canadian but from New England and, you guessed it, he was a Bruins fan too.

How does that happen?! It's like a living, human Boston Bruins slot machine. 3 B's in a row, and all named Chris.

Oh and the guy who lives in front is from Rhode Island. His name isn't Chris, but you can figure out what team he roots for.

Since I often wear Bruins jerseys and sweaters, we eventually realized we all had that in common. Chris to the right moved last year, sadly enough. But still,  pretty much every time I see a neighbor outside, it's hockey talk. Like last week, I stepped out of the house to meet my Postmate driver.

Chris : Hey.

Me: Hey.

Him : The Bruins, eh? Man…

Me: Right, eh? Man…

Both: G’night.

Things that really matter require very few words. 

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1