AAS Multiphonics CV-1 Superbooth Modular Sale (Exclusive)

cclarry

1 hour ago, telecode 101 said:

This is tempting. Its $99 on their site.

Not long ago it was $34 on AAS site and they were also throwing in latest versions of all their other synths with that. Unless of course you'd already bought them when they came out in which case you got........oh yeah, that's right.....a worse deal than somebody who'd never bought anything from them.

(Haven't quite let that one go yet...lol.)

That aside, I would recommend trying the demo before buying. It's not all that really and there was nothing there that made me feel the need to get it. YMMV of course, but it's only been out a year and this is not the first time that it's been heavily discounted, so I'm guessing it hasn't exactly been setting any sales records.

Edited by paulo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, paulo said:

Not long ago it was $34 on AAS site and they were also throwing in latest versions of all their other synths with that. Unless of course you'd already bought them when they came out in which case you got........oh yeah, that's right.....a worse deal than somebody who'd never bought anything from them.

(Haven't quite let that one go yet...lol.)

That aside, I would recommend trying the demo before buying. It's not all that really and there was nothing there that made me feel the need to get it. YMMV of course, but it's only been out a year and this is not the first time that it's been heavily discounted, so I'm guessing it hasn't exactly been setting any sales records.

I bought it just to vomplete my AAS collection.  I assume Cherry Audio has pretty much wiped out a lot of competition.  I'm not into the modular thing. I think of it as the Linux of softsynths.   It's much easier visually to open up Serum, Sylenth, or Spire and do what ever you want.  If I were really into modular I'd just mess with Reason.

33 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

I think of it as the Linux of softsynths.   It's much easier visually to open up Serum, Sylenth, or Spire and do what ever you want.  

It really depends on individual preferences and needs.  I got started with commercial synths on a Moog decades ago, so for me a system that allows me to connect components with cables is much more natural and easier to understand.  I can see what I am doing.  With box synths that have so much under the hood (where almost everything is buried in menus, lists, etc.), it is not as natural for me and requires far more to understand how to do what I want to do. 

Maybe you are saying something like the old PC v. Mac fake debate.  Macs are better for some people because they can turn them on and use them--no need to configure, fiddle, customize, etc.

Besides, with Voltage Modular's I/O modules which can host softsynths and FX plug-ins, I can run different box soft synths--from soft ROMplers and other players with massive amounts of sounds that can be selected to soft synths with complicated UIs including multi-tiered preset filtering (sometimes called browsers) to make it super easy to find factory presets.

Again, what is easy for one person might not be what is easy for another person.  My son has used Linux for quite a number of years.  He has tried to convince me that Linux is better than Windows. He can have it as far as I am concerned--way too confusing for me.  Running VST3s within VM even from within Cakewalk is more intuitive for me, not at all like trying to do something with Linux!!!!  😉   

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

It really depends on individual preferences and needs.  I got started with commercial synths on a Moog decades ago, so for me a system that allows me to connect components with cables is much more natural and easier to understand.  I can see what I am doing.  With box synths that have so much under the hood (where almost everything is buried in menus, lists, etc.), it is not as natural for me and requires far more to understand how to do what I want to do. 

I agree, I started out on an EMS Synthi A (the suitcase model of the VCS2) with a pinboard patching matrix in the 1970s so modular synths make sense to me. I particularly like unconventional signal flows, (lets put the reverb before the filter and VCA).  At the same time a friend was building his own modules from plans in Practical Electronics which also helped understanding.

Sometimes the hidden architecture of some soft synths can be a bit difficult to get ones head around. The current trend of giving controls abstract names like "Time" "Movement" etc. seems a bit alien to me particularly when the effect of the control is not consistent between patches.

Back to topic, the AAS offering seems a bit basic compared to Cherry, particularly when you add in some third party modules but I am at least half tempted at this price (and I have a lot of PB reward cash and tokens so I could get it real cheap).  Its a real shame one can't use Cherry, Softube and AAS in the same environment.

Edited by Vernon Barnes
Correct typo
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Its a real shame one can's use Cherry, Softube and AAS in the same environment.

Assuming that's a typo (can's = can't), I am trying to remember if I ever put the CV-1 into one of VM's Plug-in Hosts.  When I get a chance,** I will see if I have a test preset for that.  And if not, I will make one!!!  But I agree with your idea: it would be nice if there were collaborative modules that would allow interconnections between different soft synth modular systems.  

**Hmmmm.  I will look now.  I am impatient!  Sec. 

I took the last VM preset I last worked on, and swapped the CV-1 in.  It sort of works in a very limited way going from VM --> CV-1. I don't see a way to assign the CV-1's CVs to the parameters exposed by the vst3.   CV_1's four Macro knobs and the Output Effects knobs respond via VM, but I cannot get CV-1's (1) Reserved parameters, (2) the Internal MIDI parameters, and (3) the Program Change parameter to respond.  😞

Edited by User 905133
to report results of testing VM --> CV-1

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Besides, with Voltage Modular's I/O modules which can host softsynths and FX plug-ins, I can run different box soft synths--from soft ROMplers and other players with massive amounts of sounds that can be selected to soft synths with complicated UIs including multi-tiered preset filtering (sometimes called browsers) to make it super easy to find factory presets.

Thanks to you for recently sharing that option with me! That feature alone unlocks the huge potential of a 3rd party plug-in collection. Lately I have been experimenting with using my Kilohearts plug-ins (snap-ins) and Snapheap inside the Voltage Modular Mini Plug-in Host. And others... Not all play nicely inside VM, but it's still good fun to see what works! :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, abacab said:

Thanks to you for recently sharing that option with me! That feature alone unlocks the huge potential of a 3rd party plug-in collection.

Glad you are finding it useful!  I was inspired by your comment to take the CV-1 --> VM audio and run it through MixBox. (Audio Out of the VM Hosted CV-1 into Audio In of VM Hosted MixBox.)  MONDO CV-1 sound!  Currently just controlled by usb keyboard --> VM but no reason it couldn't come from VM modules.

Yup, VM's Plug-in Hosts don't work with everything, but I have found lots that do work (most of what I have tried).  

Parameter Panel for MixBox (serving as a MONDO FX Rack for CV-1) up to 19 MixBox parameters for each of the FX slots which get listed in VM's I/O Module.  Playing very nicely (for the most part**)!!!  🙂  

**Parameters for MixBox's 8 slots show up in VM's parameter list, but since MixBox seems to default to showing only the first 4, I had to press MB's expand button to show all 8.  It was a little tricky to get VM to resize MB (close VMH editor, reopen, slide onto second monitor to force it to resize due to monitor resolution differences, slide back onto main monitor).   

• Just in case someone is thinking this is off topic from the CV-1 Deal:
    • Full Circle as per CV-1 and VB's comment about interconnecting modules: (1) CV-1's audio can serve as a sound source controlled (in a limited way) by VM CVs and external MIDI controls via VM and (2) CV-1 audio can then be shaped by other plugins hosted in VM.

In short, if you like CV-1, it can be used in several ways within VM.  Personally, I like many of the sounds AAS products make and many of the design features they have. I have a number of VM presets that use them (e.g., VM as sound source --> Objeq Delay).  As per @Vernon Barnes comment, I'd love to find out there is a way using VM to tap into all the parameters the CV-1 plug-in exposes. 

Edited by User 905133
(3) added the "Full Circle"/on-topic comment; (2) added "for the most part" comment; (1) fixed typos

I was tempted by CV-1, but I am trying to stick to one modular synth (Voltage Modular), just to avoid additional distractions! I already suffer from too many synths! 🤪

I am a big fan of AAS, and have Chromaphone 3 with all add-ons, and Ultra Analog VA-3 with nearly all add-ons. Great stuff! 👍

On 5/7/2022 at 4:19 PM, Paul Young said:

I'm not into the modular thing. I think of it as the Linux of softsynths.

Yeah. It does seem like wilfully going out of the way to make a simple task more difficult. That said, if they had just basically re-skinned Tassman and left it at that I would probably have bought it, but this seemed like a bit of a half-baked attempt to me.

18 hours ago, abacab said:

I was tempted by CV-1, but I am trying to stick to one modular synth (Voltage Modular), just to avoid additional distractions! I already suffer from too many synths! 🤪

I am a big fan of AAS, and have Chromaphone 3 with all add-ons, and Ultra Analog VA-3 with nearly all add-ons. Great stuff! 👍

Same here. Enjoying all things AAS except for CV-1 as I went with Cherry Audio.