Well it finally happened

Bapu

I've dumped my very first pair of studio monitors in the trash

EV Sentry 100A

Bought them new in 1985. After I went to powered monitors they went in the garage and were lugged from home to home. I was clearing out my storage shed in the back yard and decided it was time for them to fully retire. Man were they heavy for not powered monitors.

x0halby0hqw2sbwkkrhg.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

I've dumped my very first pair of studio monitors in the trash

EV Sentry 100A

Bought them new in 1985. After I went to powered monitors they went in the garage and were lugged from home to home. I was clearing out my storage shed in the back yard and decided it was time for them to fully retire. Man were they heavy for not powered monitors.

x0halby0hqw2sbwkkrhg.jpg

Bapu,

Check out what they are going for used  on Reverb ~~> EV Sentry 100A

It's hard to let stuff go. I still have some stuff from the very early 80's myself. I have an extremely powerful Peavey phantom powered mic a friend gave me in the mid 80's and I even have the first recording I made when I was 12 ~ 13.

What do you use now? I'm still using my Yamaha HS-80's I've had for a well over 10 years. They were my first real monitors. Got them on clearance sale at my local Guitar Center in Des Moines. It was an unadvertised 50% off sale. Basically buy 1 get 1 free. They had a stacked pyramid of them sitting in the middle of the show room with a sign on them and I figured I'd never see a deal like that again so I grabbed a pair.

31 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

That particular pair for sale has a history of being in a famous studio. The other ones for sale that I saw were going for about half that.

Even if I could get original replacement woofers and tweeters (or had them re-coned) it would just not be worth the time or effort to get a couple of Benjamins.

I got my used out of them.

Edited by Bapu

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Believe it or not, I mostly mix on headphones these days. Sennheiser HD598s with a custom SONARWORKS profile (bought directly from SONARWORKS).

Well it's sure working. All of your mixes sound really good.

The last 4 that I've done I did completely on my old MK series AKG's. They're not in front of me now and I can't remember the model. MK-II 240's maybe? It took a couple trips to my truck but with the help of O9A I was able to get the best mixes I've ever done and in record time for me just using cans.

Do you remember bentech from the old forum? IIRC he said he mainly used meters when mixing and mastering and I always thought mix wise his songs were really good.

12 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Do you remember bentech from the old forum? IIRC he said he mainly used meters when mixing and mastering and I always thought mix wise his songs were really good.

Ya and ya.

If I don't want to bother selling it and can't justify keeping it, I usually put it out front with a free sign on it. 

If I had seen those out front for free I would have probably had an accident stopping for them.

I'm getting to the same place with a few of my things. My old studio desk will probably have to go. It's just too large. If I lived in LA I could probably command a decent price for it. I live in Amish cow country. It was expensive to have built.

It's my experience that putting something by the curb with a "Free" sign on it just means it will sit out in the weather forever.  However, put it out by the curb with a sign that says "$20" and someone will steal it before the next morning! 😁

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

I'd take them to a Goodwill type store before I threw them out. The larger stores will have contacts where they can recycle electronics and make sure it doesn't go in a land fill. I've seen old Bose speakers and all kinds of stuff at places like that.

2 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I'd take them to a Goodwill type store before I threw them out. The larger stores will have contacts where they can recycle electronics and make sure it doesn't go in a land fill. I've seen old Bose speakers and all kinds of stuff at places like that.

In our area Goodwill is extremely picky about what they will take. Anyway, they are gone now.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:00 PM, Tim Smith said:

My old studio desk will probably have to go. It's just too large.

I was thinking the same thing. I have got to clean and straighten up in my studio and this was one of the first things I thought of.

• Like 1

FYI here is a representitive example of what mine looked like (except the foam around the tweeters were both gone, and my woofer foam rings were completely disintegrated) 

image.png.fbee025b95ff865404fa8eac8a076c46.png

My cabs were in near perfect shape, no scratches or scrapes or dents. The grilles were in perfect shape to.

That pair on Reverb (poctured above) was going for $149 "as is" and his cabs are dinged up a bit.

I'm perfectly happy with my decision to just "dump" them.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bapu said:

FYI here is a representitive example of what mine looked like (except the foam around the tweeters were both gone, and my woofer foam rings were completely disintegrated) 

image.png.fbee025b95ff865404fa8eac8a076c46.png

My cabs were in near perfect shape, no scratches or scrapes or dents. The grilles were in perfect shape to.

That paid on Reverb was going for $149 "as is" and his cabs are dinged up a bit.

I'm perfectly happy with my decision to just "dump" them.

The tweeters shouldn't be a problem. You're a bass player right? 😁

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, RBH said:

I re-coned a pair of those a couple of years back and gave them to a friend for cost. Couldn't find the correct tweeter foams anymore. It was worth giving them a new life though.

Until recently I didn't know how easy it was to re-cone a speaker. Not sure about Bapu's tweeters. I would probably look at a replacement tweeter. I used THIS company for my parts. They have plenty of YouTube videos.

• Like 1