Surge XT - The Best Free Synth Plugin Available?

cclarry

SurgeXT synth is quite a good free synth and pretty cool seeing some of the Air Windows effects built into it. Before Vital it was probably the best, now it's still good, but Vital might just have the edge.

Definitely good to have though and it still sees use here 🙂

• Like 1

I haven't looked at these in a while, but I thought that the antecedents of Surge XT were 100% free (no fees charged) for the past several years while Vital is only free (no fees charged) for a limited version intended to "inspire" users to subscribe to a monthly fee.  I haven't researched this; would appreciate feedback purely on this issue irrespective of which one people prefer.  Thanks. 

5 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

IIRC the free Vital is fully featured you just get more presets with the paid for versions. There are monthly community presets released so you can soon up your preset count! 

From memory, more wavetables as well as presets. But otherwise not limited in functionality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried the Vital free version first, and then decided to support the developer by upgrading to Vital Pro. It's that good! :)

Surge is also a great synth and has been around for many years. Definitely worth having around, but not as easy to use as Vital! I think that the Surge wave shaping reminds me of z3ta+.

Edited by abacab

38 minutes ago, abacab said:

I tried the Vital free version first, and then decided to support the developer by upgrading to Vital Pro. It's that good! :)

Surge is also a great synth and has been around for many years. Definitely worth having around, but not as easy to use as Vital! I think that the Surge wave shaping reminds me of z3ta+.

I paid for Plus to support the dev as well as he's open sourced and made free things in addition to Vital, like the Helm synth. It's good to support these type of people 🙂

• Like 2