I need to stop watching "pro" engineers & producer gear interviews

Bapu

I watched a Steve Albini "Show Us Your Junk" video and he was talking about this compressor: 
FMR Really Nice Compressor
where he was comparing it to multi thou$and dollar compressor and said "it's almost as good as that one".

Now I'm obsessed with adding it (heck it's only $185USD). And why do I need that with all the hardware compressors that meet my bass needs and my vocal needs.

And then he goes on to say that is you pair it with this preamp:
Really Nice Preamp
you'll have a great combo.

had 2 of those little compressors and custom patchcables made at Redco U.S.  (still have the 4 cables)

the jack to XLR or Jack cable requires Ring/Pin 3 floating when connected to impedance balanced gear iirc.

imo they're great for the money but maybe overrated using the 'supernice'  (sidechain ?) enabled.

It's one of few compressors that use 'Feedback'  compr. iirc. like the expensive SSL bus compressor unit. 

Had the Keeley pro compressor pedal too, with Feedback compr. but that thing was so noisy..

To me that type of compression sounds as ' relaxing the energy, beat etc' somewhat, can be nice. 

Also had their PBC-6A compressor, not as clean/subtle, probably more suited for tracking.

my 2 cents, a free Kontelnikov vst can be dialed to do most types/characters of track/bus compression (have their GE edition).

Edited by Sheens

Had Elysia, Sknote compressors that sounded pretty clean, quite pricey though.

The UK Drawmer compressors have a nice 'warm'  boxtone, I had a DL251 VCA 2 channel (with fe a selectable Hard Knee for bass guitar) and the Multiband Fet.

Drawmer make pleasent sounding, solid gear for good price ! 

Edited by Sheens

I usually see something by ART in pro studios too. One or both of the items in my forum signature.

Expensive is no guarantee of greatness. I love these ART units. One is a rare "high end" version they made a limited run of. To be honest I had a standard one and I couldn't hear a difference. The only change was allegedly higher grade tubes and blue LED backlit VUs. And an extra label on the front that says "Reference Series". 

8 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Pfft ….

…. you're doing it all wrong Edwidge 🥴

Tw@t one of these somewhere into your signal chain and you'll be good to go:

jCOOXyA.jpg

That should handle all my compression needs. 

18 minutes ago, Bapu said:
8 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Pfft ….

…. you're doing it all wrong Edwidge 🥴

Tw@t one of these somewhere into your signal chain and you'll be good to go:

jCOOXyA.jpg

That should handle all my compression needs. 

It's only taken 15 years, but I feel I no longer have to explain my crap jokes to you 😊

"Well done"

~ John (2011)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...