Native Intruments Ashlight

cclarry

Native Instruments is back with ASHLIGHT, completing THE LIGHT TRILOGY that includes STRAYLIGHT and PHARLIGHT.

Special time-limited offers: $149 intro price ($199 regular). $99 if you own both previous instruments separately or have Komplete 13 Ultimate / Collector's Edition.

Bundle perpetual offers: $399 for full trilogy if own none. $199 upgrade to the bundle if own either STRAYLIGHT or PHARLIGHT.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/ashlight-intro-offer/

• Like 1

This made me go load up Pharlight from K13. Love the sound but it is a CPU hog. Extensive forum discussions over at NI indicate it really needs a multi-core CPU with a full-time base frequency of 4.0 GHz or higher on every core. I wonder if Ashlight will be the same?

56 minutes ago, artturner said:

it really needs a multi-core CPU with a full-time base frequency of 4.0 GHz or higher

IMHO this is the wrong signal to NI! Instead they should employ better software engineers that are capable to make more efficient code! I noticed that all their newer stuff is a resource hog, also the FX. In general I am sure that 90% of today's software could be improved that it would only use a 100th to a 10th of the resources!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marled said:

IMHO this is the wrong signal to NI! Instead they should employ better software engineers that are capable to make more efficient code! I noticed that all their newer stuff is a resource hog, also the FX. In general I am sure that 90% of today's software could be improved that it would only use a 100th to a 10th of the resources!

Are you a programmer to claim this?

10 hours ago, kevin H said:

Yesterday  $99 upgrade for those with komplete 13 wasn’t showing up.  They fixed today.

The price for Ashlight is still $99.00 once you login and select buy. 

As an owner of KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Upgrade for KOMPLETE you qualify to install and activate this version.

$99.00

Download:

Available immediately

Edited by jesse g

When first released only those that had individually purchased pharlight or starlight were seeing the discount. Komplete owners were not seeing the discounted $99 price. NI support said it was a glitch and would take couple days to fix but looks like they resolved it pretty quick. 

10 hours ago, marled said:

I think these are few these days.  You see it in all software even in phone apps. 

• Like 1

U-he performance update recently looks really promising.  Haven’t tried loading up several instances yet but from the description sounds like will greatly improve cpu use on Mac.  Other developers often move on to next thing so this was refreshing.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

Are you a programmer to claim this?

Yes, since 1984 and I worked with all kind of programming languages and concepts (different assembly languages and even machine code, C, PL1, Pascal, Fortran, C++, Smalltalk, ... and on different operating systems). And I had a lot of experience with different kinds of software engineers/programmers, positive and negative! I saw situations where one well-versed developer achieved the result of 20 others, this is no exaggeration (just look at Reaper)!

For decades I have heard the scream for new modern development tools of incapable software folk. And many of those tools are exactly one of the reasons for poor performance and incredible resource waste. The more a development tool is away from the base of the hardware and operating system, the more difficult it is to understand performance and other issues. This can only be compensated by former low-level knowhow. But who has this nowadays?

And I remember days of NI B4. My friend, who was a young programmer, being astonished with efficiency of the code (early 2000' Pentium MMX 133MHz processor didn't even notice the thing and that thing did sound real good for the times). Taking a quick look at IKM products of nowadays and gotta say, after updating Lurssen to the latest version, cpu load jumping almost twice as high as before renders the plugin unusable in even most basic mixing scenario. IKM soft do sound really good but they program it as if it's being intended for computers that will be available for buying in the next decades which of course is missing the point.

Edited by chris.r

4 minutes ago, chris.r said:

IKM soft do sound really good but they program it as if it's being intended for computers that will be available for buying in the next decades which of course is missing the point.

I think within a decade computers will be implanted in our bodies/brains.  Maybe even running music plugins.  Although inevitably in middle of sessions we’ll have to stop and take a break because of course our drummer, who can’t say not to free plugins, will be constantly stuck upgrading to new versions and we all have to stop and wait for his downloads/upgrades to finish because I’m sure he’ll glitch, lose the song, or get off tempo.  Darn it Jason, quit downloading free stuff…see what happens hehe

• Haha 1